Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 St. Thomas gets invite to Summit League

http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas...gue/562174952/

The Summit League has extended an invitation to St. Thomas, who was recently voted out of the Division III MIAC. The school would begin play in 2021. The move is contingent upon a waiver request to be able to move directly from Division III to Division I without first stopping in Division II.

I wonder what the odds are that they get their NCAA waiver, and now the elephant in the room...what about Football?

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
      I wonder what the odds are that they get their NCAA waiver, and now the elephant in the room...what about Football?
      I could see them- and Augustana- going Pioneer.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
        http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas...gue/562174952/

The Summit League has extended an invitation to St. Thomas, who was recently voted out of the Division III MIAC. The school would begin play in 2021. The move is contingent upon a waiver request to be able to move directly from Division III to Division I without first stopping in Division II.
        Wow. This is huge if it goes through.

Comment

how about hockey, the WCHA may be looking, another D! hockey program in MN.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
            how about hockey, the WCHA may be looking, another D! hockey program in MN.
            The WCHA could use another women's program. If WCHA.3 leaves the Alaska schools behind the UST men could fit in- are the Tommies willing to spend the money?

Comment

I'm surprised that they want to go straight to D1 with athletics. That's quite a financial burden on a school, IIRC. However, what I don't like reading is that the MIAC booted them for being too successful. In an ESPN article, it was specifically mentioned that they won six MIAC football titles since 2010. Look at the runs that NWMSU, GVSU, Ferris, Pitt State, and others have had over time periods of that same length.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ivision-invite

Comment

Originally posted by fitzpats View Post
                I'm surprised that they want to go straight to D1 with athletics. That's quite a financial burden on a school, IIRC. However, what I don't like reading is that the MIAC booted them for being too successful. In an ESPN article, it was specifically mentioned that they won six MIAC football titles since 2010. Look at the runs that NWMSU, GVSU, Ferris, Pitt State, and others have had over time periods of that same length.

Actually there were rumors back in the mid-80s when Mark Dienhart was coaching the Tommies that they would go to the University or D1 level. They even thought about changing the name to the University of St Paul. Sid Hartman would write about it in his Minneapolis Tribune columns. Hard to believe that Sid is still going at 99.

Comment

Comment

Or winning conference titles in half the sports the conference sponsors.

EDIT: Okay, maybe GVSU has been.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I could see them- and Augustana- going Pioneer.
                      That might make the most sense for them since the jump from D3 to D1 is going to be lots of time and $ and Pioneer is no-scholarship for football.

Anyone know the last school to make this jump?

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

That might make the most sense for them since the jump from D3 to D1 is going to be lots of time and $ and Pioneer is no-scholarship for football.

Anyone know the last school to make this jump?

Comment

Next- any idea as to when the NCAA will make the decision?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                            Next- any idea as to when the NCAA will make the decision?
                            The DI Council meets in a couple weeks. The minutes from their June meeting included the following: "The Strategic Vision and Planning Committee will continue to discuss whether an institution should have an opportunity to reclassify from Division III to Division I, without first requiring that institution be a Division II member, noting the importance of ensuring preparedness for Division I membership."

So they might address this at the next meeting.

Comment

D1 may be much more financially advantageous to the school than D2, depending on the circumstances.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X