Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Nothing like the last successful league in the USFL. which can be seen at https://www.usflsite.com/nflplayers2.php and was more than I had thought. Several were all pro the year after the USFL folded in the NFL.

If done like the USFL which is what the XFL seems to be leaning towards maybe they can put out a decent product.
    There's a ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about the USFL. In case you haven't seen it, I won't tell you who's responsible for it's early death. But here's a clue, he's an egomanical orange blowhard. Thanks for the link, going down the list brought back a lot of memories. I enjoyed the USFL, especially the LA Express.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

There's a ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about the USFL. In case you haven't seen it, I won't tell you who's responsible for it's early death. But here's a clue, he's an egomanical orange blowhard. Thanks for the link, going down the list brought back a lot of memories. I enjoyed the USFL, especially the LA Express.
      Thanks Trump!!!!!

Comment

Looks like Louis Perez (grumbles about a double OT loss) went to LA. Only QB's for teams known yet, but a D2 one appears a likely starter.

Comment

Still no love for Dalton Hall, the kicker from Tuskegee. I'm not a scout, but I don't see what's not to like about him. He looks to be the next Sebastian Janikowski.....big kid with a big leg.

Comment

Ultimately I would like to see XFL have some amount of success - even if its just to show the NFL that there is an appetite for football in the spring. Ultimately I would like to see the NFL do a spring ball league and use it as a minor league system. Kind of how they used NFL Europe as a minor league system to develop talent. Put the teams in areas that don't necessarily have a current NFL team - to build a loyal fan base.
            Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by D2SportsJunkie View Post
              Still no love for Dalton Hall, the kicker from Tuskegee. I'm not a scout, but I don't see what's not to like about him. He looks to be the next Sebastian Janikowski.....big kid with a big leg.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                Ultimately I would like to see XFL have some amount of success - even if its just to show the NFL that there is an appetite for football in the spring. Ultimately I would like to see the NFL do a spring ball league and use it as a minor league system. Kind of how they used NFL Europe as a minor league system to develop talent. Put the teams in areas that don't necessarily have a current NFL team - to build a loyal fan base.
                Just the top 10, but some big names on it and people who had really long NFL careers from NFL Europe. https://www.growthofagame.com/2014/1...urope-players/

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

They also have a better media contract than those other leagues, more like what the USFL which was successful as spring football. I've also seen interviews where they said they'd like to develop the fringe NFL talent so that they have a chance by playing to make NFL rosters more like a developmental league. It is also Vince McMahon backing it, not the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes which got rid of the GM that got him a Stanley Cup shortly after it doing the financial backing.

Add on, the initial teams like in Seattle have NFL fields that they will be playing on.
                  Tom Dundon, the new owner of the Carolina Hurricanes, bought the team in 2017, three years after the "GM that got [Carolina] a Stanley Cup" - Jim Rutherford - left to take the job with the Pittsburgh Penguins; Rutherford stepped down from the Carolina job in 2014, seven years after the 'Canes won the Stanley Cup in 2006.

In fairness to Dundon, the AAF was financially unstable before he tried to white knight and save the league, but the damage seemed to already be done. Also, the Hurricanes are coming off their most successful season in recent years (losing in the Eastern Conference finals after eliminating the defending Stanley Cup champions in the first round) so there's that as well.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                    I love minor league sports and I'd love for there to be a sustainable American football minor league. This is the idea I came up with:

-Under the current model, NFL practice squads effectively act as the minor leagues. So, at the end of every season, each NFL team would fill out a roster using their practice squad. This could also include 3rd stringers and rehab assignments as well.

-Each NFL team keeps their minor league team in their respective market, but shifts it to a different city. For example, the Vikings minor league team would move to Fargo or Des Moines, and Green Bay would move to Milwaukee or Madison, etc.

-I'm not sure about season length, but there would be a playoff format as well as an all-star game.

Just my thoughts anyway. If a minor league is going to be successful, it has to be NFL backed (obviously). This would at least make use of current players.

In baseball, it's almost unheard of for a #1 Draft Pick to go straight to the majors. In fact, I can think of one or two who never made it there. It's apples to oranges obviously, but my point is I don't like the NFL's model of tossing potential talent away just because they may need a couple more years of development. I think it has the potential to make the game more interesting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X