Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
    But here's the point I was originally making. Take a look at Fayetteville State. Currently 6-1, only loss was to Wingate by 10 I think. Most people see 6-1 and instantly think, man not a bad football team. But dear sweet 8 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus look at the schedule. I've included where they are ranked in my rankings out of 167 Division II teams.

Won 35-21 vs Benedict (155th)
    Lost 24-34 vs. Wingate (currently 22nd but will be higher after D2football.com poll comes out along with other criteria)
    Won 51-6 vs Lincoln PA (167th)
    Won 55-12 vs Elizabeth City (163rd)
    Won 66-20 vs Chowan (149th)
    Won 25-22 vs Shaw (134th)
    Won 35-34 vs Johnson C. Smith (151st)
    They are in the Southern Division. They won't face any of the CIAA's powerhouses until the CIAA Championship game(if they make it). I don't know how a CIAA team was selected as the example of the Coaches poll being off. The Coaches poll often has teams placed where they are based off record rather than reputation (D2 poll). I don't think any multiple loss teams should ever rank ahead of undefeated teams and the same goes for 1 loss, unless it was to a Division 1 opponent. D2 poll always has BSU ranked lower than Coaches poll for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by BSURover31 View Post
      . I don't know how a CIAA team was selected as the example of the Coaches poll being off.
      Because it was a glaring issue I had that they were getting votes to be in the top 25 despite doing nothing. Their schedule is softer than a Frenchmans handshake. And I would partially agree with your other point about 1 loss teams not being ranked ahead of undefeated, some cases are different depending on the team and who they lost to. A 6-1 team who lost by 3 to someone and plays in a good league should be ranked higher than someone who is 7-0 but their toughest game was the North and South School for the Blind.

Comment

They are in the Southern Division. They won't face any of the CIAA's powerhouses until the CIAA Championship game(if they make it). I don't know how a CIAA team was selected as the example of the Coaches poll being off. The Coaches poll often has teams placed where they are based off record rather than reputation (D2 poll). I don't think any multiple loss teams should ever rank ahead of undefeated teams and the same goes for 1 loss, unless it was to a Division 1 opponent. D2 poll always has BSU ranked lower than Coaches poll for some reason.
        Of the two (reputation OR record), record is probably more indicative of what a team is doing THIS season. AFCA does seem to be record driven while D2Football seems to be more reputation driven. I'll retreat into my foxhole and put on my bullet proof vest!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Of the two (reputation OR record), record is probably more indicative of what a team is doing THIS season. AFCA does seem to be record driven while D2Football seems to be more reputation driven. I'll retreat into my foxhole and put on my bullet proof vest!!
          Ha Ha Ha you don't need the vest! But...

Polls are not standings. If I want to see the rankings based solely on wins and losses, I'll look at the standings. They show that Frostburg State is 6-1. Should they be ranked ahead of a 5-2 Texas A&M-Commerce team? If it's a "results" based poll, they should. I

That's why one shouldn't limit their vote simply to one or the other.

I have explained this many times, but "this season's" AFCA poll was always voted like this (using the results of last season):

1. Valdosta State (last year's champion/SR2)
          2. Ferris State (last year's runner up/SR3)
          3. Notre Dae College (lost to last year's champion in the semifinals (SR1)
          4. Minnesota State (lost to last year's runner up in the semifinals (SR 4)
          5. SR2 #2 Team
          6. SR3 #2 Team
          7. SR1 #2 Team
          8. SR4 #2 Team
          9. SR2 #3 Team
          10. SR3 #3 Team
          11. SR1 #3 Team
          12. SR4 #2 Team and so on and so forth.

The rigid nature of that was horrible. It assumes every SR is comparable. It assumes all the teams line up in that matter. That's RESULTS based polling.

I like our poll better because there is less rigidity in it. Is it perfect? Obviously not.

It's an opinion poll. But even opinion is based upon REPUTATION which in turn is based upon RESULTS over time. The weakness of that is that it probably takes too long for a team to gain the recognition it deserves and it probably keeps that reputation longer than it deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            I completely agree with that assessment. Essentially Brandon agrees with it regarding the D2Football poll based on his last line:
            The weakness of that is that it probably takes too long for a team to gain the recognition it deserves and it probably keeps that reputation longer than it deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

I completely agree with that assessment. Essentially Brandon agrees with it regarding the D2Football poll based on his last line:
              I don't, at least as it is being described. I'll try to explain my position more clearly.

The length of time matters. I was thinking more about former powers that get the benefit of the doubt over upstart teams. There are varying degrees, of course.

I have seen too many paper tigers with undefeated seasons (record-based) and top 10 rankings get blasted in the playoffs just like I thought they would.

Reputation based voting (as it's being described) is based upon records over longer periods of time in addition to this season. Record based voting (as it's being described), is based upon records over a much shorter period of time MINUS the first poll.

Comment

Fayetteville proved my point today. Miles too. Both lost to teams that are ranked in the bottom 20 in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                  Fayetteville proved my point today. Miles too. Both lost to teams that are ranked in the bottom 20 in D2.
                  In a conference full of parody, its " any given Saturday". I believe things always work themselves out on the field. If a record indicates success, rank accordingly. If the team is a paper winner i.e. successful based on playing a weak schedule, than sooner or later they will be exposed. Livingstone in the CIAA is a great example of that, not so much Fayettville State . Some teams simply get better as the season progresses. Week 1 I didn't think BSU would be as good as last year's squad. But after watching them progress over last 8 games, I feel their great defense and peaking offense, led a hot dual threat QB will allow them to compete deeper into the playoffs, than 2018. Hell, its regional ranking time, which is usually when all the undefeated teams start dropping to division rivals. Thankfully, we made it successfully thru the teeth of our schedule

Comment

In a conference full of parody, its " any given Saturday". I believe things always work themselves out on the field. If a record indicates success, rank accordingly. If the team is a paper winner i.e. successful based on playing a weak schedule, than sooner or later they will be exposed. Livingstone in the CIAA is a great example of that, not so much Fayettville State . Some teams simply get better as the season progresses. Week 1 I didn't think BSU would be as good as last year's squad. But after watching them progress over last 8 games, I feel their great defense and peaking offense, led a hot dual threat QB will allow them to compete deeper into the playoffs, than 2018. Hell, its regional ranking time, which is usually when all the undefeated teams start dropping to division rivals. Thankfully, we made it successfully thru the teeth of our schedule
                    Bowie has looked very good. They are the exception in the CIAA. You have to admit tho that was a bad loss, a really bad loss for FSU

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X