Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...-0/4118050002/

Why was a winless team even in the playoffs???

In Michigan its basically win 6 games and you're in, with a lot of 5-4 and even the occasional 4-4 teams getting in as well. But a winless program??
    Michigan's system changes next year.

Currently there are 531 teams playing 11 man football and an additional 71 listed as 8 man schools.

Next year, the 6 wins an in disappears. They will be adjusting the playoff point system to determine qualifiers and pre-determining the divisions (Currently they determine divisions when the 256 11 man and 32 8 man teams are determined.)

Prior to the season, the MHSAA will split each of the 11 man teams into equal size divisions (roughly 67 each). At the end of the season, the top 32 teams in playoff points will be the playoff qualifiers, at which time the playoff pairings will be determined. I assume they will do the same thing for the 8 man divisions.

Michigan will still offer 8 divisions for 11 man and 2 divisions for 8 man. Most sports have 4 divisions, so this is an expansion over what other sports do.

There were two teams with losing records that would have made the playoffs this season under next years rules that I know of, Detroit Catholic Central and Caledonia. Other's may have as well. Both those schools would have qualified this year if Michigan didn't require a .500 or above record.

Comment

In Oklahoma, there are seven 11-man classes and two 8-man.

Class 6A-I (16 schools)
      Class 6A-II (16 schools)
      Class 5A (32 schools)
      Class 4A (32 schools)
      Class 3A (32 schools)
      Class 2A (64 schools)
      Class A (remaining 11-man schools; looks like it's currently 58)

Class B (about 48 schools; there's a limit of 80 8-man schools)
      Class C (32 schools)

Classes 6A-I and 6A-II are each divided into two districts. Classes 2A, A, and B are divided into eight districts, and every other class is divided into four. Only district games count towards making the playoffs, and the top four from each district make it. So for every class except B, that's about 50% making it.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
        If I counted right, Minnesota has 463 football teams. One to many classes for me.

9 man- 67
        1A-61
        2A-55
        3A-56
        4A-46
        5A-47
        6A-31
        My understanding is that there is no difference between 2A and 3A. They took the schools in that enrollment bracket and divided them in half.

At most, Minnesota needs 4 classes.

3A - The "Big" Schools
        2A - The "Medium" Schools
        1A - The "Small" Schools
        9-Man

The idea that they are giving out 7 state champions is a little ridiculous. I'm all for multiple classes, but I think what we have is overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

My understanding is that there is no difference between 2A and 3A. They took the schools in that enrollment bracket and divided them in half.

At most, Minnesota needs 4 classes.

3A - The "Big" Schools
          2A - The "Medium" Schools
          1A - The "Small" Schools
          9-Man

The idea that they are giving out 7 state champions is a little ridiculous. I'm all for multiple classes, but I think what we have is overkill.
          I wouldn't mind seeing two 9-man classes. Give some of the smaller schools a chance to keep their programs around without them potentially getting cut. I know football isn't everyone's game and I played on a mediocre high school team but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing two 9-man classes. Give some of the smaller schools a chance to keep their programs around without them potentially getting cut. I know football isn't everyone's game and I played on a mediocre high school team but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
            This is why I would like to see a six man class. Not as many pairings and travel for practices.

We played 11 man when I was in HS. Eventually Buffalo Lake went to 9 man. Then they consolidated with Hector, 5 miles away and struggled most years in 11 man. Eventually then added Stewart, 7 miles east. You had less players with three towns that all three used to have by themselves. They are now at 9 man again and barely have enough players. The worst is having players as young as 8th grade start.

Football, more than any other sport- is a numbers game. And an age/size/maturity game. Tough for young kids to take the physical pounding.

And yes, I played and coached four sports and always loved football the most.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
              Different problem in a different part of the country. Scoring too much has consequences

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...564488131.html
              good grief. might as well just make a new rule, if a team gets ahead by 50, games over.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post

good grief. might as well just make a new rule, if a team gets ahead by 50, games over.
                And this is what they did the next week.

???????https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/...p-rules-video/

Comment

https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/...p-rules-video/
                  Even more embarrassing to the losing team IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post

I'd be much happier , as a sports fan, to add a mercy rule than have this result. One provision would be that any school that loses half their scheduled game as a result of a mercy rule MUST DISCONTINUE that sport at their school because they are obviously not capable of fielding even a minimally competitive team. There is no lesson to be learned by either side under these circumstances.

Comment

That'd probably be fine. They have enough teams and the schools are the smallest in the state.

Comment

I never played organized football, but here's what I think. Most of my opinion comes from hockey/baseball as I care more about those sports at the HS level, but it's really all the same:

-Having one class would be ideal (or two, one for 11-man and one for 9-man). However, it effectively punishes small schools for being small - they can't realistically compete with the larger ones in this day and age. So a multi-class system is needed to keep kids playing the sport. It would be like MSU having to compete against Alabama for a title.

-That being said, I can't stand the idea of a state needing 15 different classes. The more classes you have, the less special each title becomes. Living where I do, I hear a lot of jaded HSFB fans that wish we could have our "own" conference because we keep getting beat by the "bigger" (translation: better) schools - and we "deserve" a chance at glory. That mentality needs to stop - at some point, you just need to get better if you want to win. What's happens when you get kicked around that class too?

I've also noticed that some sports aren't necessarily dominated by enrollment - hockey in Minnesota, for example, had a split between the North and the Twin Cities. Now it's a split between public and private (+ Edina) schools. My understanding is that Roseau bumped up to AA to avoid getting thrashed by Warroad - a supposedly "tougher" class, and even won a championship. I don't really follow volleyball, but my understanding is that southwest Minnesota runs the show in their respective classes.

Honestly, and feel free to disagree with me, but more classes makes the sports more political - and less enjoyable to watch.

Comment

Large school classifications in Kansas (4A-6A) have open playoffs. Everyone goes. Bottom seed in the East plays top seed in the East, and so forth.

However, they do playoffs for the small school classifications differently --perhaps because those schools have bigger enrollment differences within each class. They want to avoid a 103-0 score.

Comment

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/fkSR2i...s-work-now.htm

Comment

https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/...p-rules-video/
                              i don't blame them. but this isn't football...

Comment

???????https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/...p-rules-video/
                                The committees that set these things up know they are dealing with high schoolers, right?

Near-adults capable of controlling their emotions in situations like this don't really need to be babied to this extent. Yikes. I feel bad for the coach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X