Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Eau Claire Football players suspended over racist messages

https://www.weau.com/content/news/UW...565213642.html

I'm not ok with the suspension. The penalty for inappropriate jokes should not be the same as actual racist behavior. A joint outreach with the members of BME would have had broader impact and could have been a teaching moment. So now we give them a reason to hate.

We adults seem to forget how silly we all were at that age.

Comment

The line in the article saying nothing brings more fear to our students and faculty then that picture - really? none of them have ever had that personal experience in life so why would that picture bring so much fear - obviously it was not right to do - what are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
        The line in the article saying nothing brings more fear to our students and faculty then that picture - really? none of them have ever had that personal experience in life so why would that picture bring so much fear - obviously it was not right to do - what are your thoughts?

Comment

These young men have no clue of the gravity of the situation being depicted, and it's not their fault, We as a society have not fully educated ourselves on the level of injustice that was put upon those first Africans brought to the new world and the several generations that followed. For example, to my core I know that the German Jews suffered terribly at the hands of people that they had previously counted as friends & neighbors. I truly feel for our Jewish brethren, the story is heart breaking and I believe there is almost universal empathy, However, even as a black man I don't have that level of empathy for my own ancestors and if you say you do, I don't believe you.

Honestly, this should be a non issue or at most a teaching moment, why are we putting the weight of our dysfunctional relationship on our kids.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

These young men have no clue of the gravity of the situation being depicted, and it's not their fault, We as a society have not fully educated ourselves on the level of injustice that was put upon those first Africans brought to the new world and the several generations that followed. For example, to my core I know that the German Jews suffered terribly at the hands of people that they had previously counted as friends & neighbors. I truly feel for our Jewish brethren, the story is heart breaking and I believe there is almost universal empathy, However, even as a black man I don't have that level of empathy for my own ancestors and if you say you do, I don't believe you.

Honestly, this should be a non issue or at most a teaching moment, why are we putting the weight of our dysfunctional relationship on our kids.
            I get where your coming from but there should be consequences. They KNEW what they were doing and got caught. Lesson learned.

Comment

I'm not ok with the suspension. The penalty for inappropriate jokes should not be the same as actual racist behavior. A joint outreach with the members of BME would have had broader impact and could have been a teaching moment. So now we give them a reason to hate.

We adults seem to forget how silly we all were at that age.
              You cant have any tolerance for stuff like that. Additionally, it should be a teachable moment, as in you educate them somehow.

If you dont know that the organization in the pic and the impact it has had on African-Americans over time, then you are really misinformed.

Comment

That's a very bold comment, and a fairly ignorant assertion.

Comment

These are not children. They are young men. If they don't understand how horrible this is, It's willful ignorance. There should be no tolerance for stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

I get where your coming from but there should be consequences. They KNEW what they were doing and got caught. Lesson learned.
                    Yea, of course you're right, after all they are college students and likely adults, but I believe the consequence should be social in nature not putative. Something like working with a black student organization to achieve a common goal would be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

That's a very bold comment, and a fairly ignorant assertion.
                      How is it ignorant? Can you have the same level of empathy for someone you know and someone you don't know, if so you are special and we need all be like you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
                        These are not children. They are young men. If they don't understand how horrible this is, It's willful ignorance. There should be no tolerance for stuff like this.
                        Yes they are likely young adults, but at 20 years old did how many of us had this stuff all figured out?

Comment

How is it ignorant? Can you have the same level of empathy for someone you know and someone you don't know, if so you are special and we need all be like you?

It's ignorant to allow your limited experiences to dictate how someone can feel about a subject.

I've never met anyone who directly experienced the Holocaust, nor have I met anyone who was involved in slavery. Doesn't mean I can't have equal empathy for both or be more empathetic towards those who experienced slavery.

Also, the picture at question involved the KKK so that was centuries after the first slaves were brought over. I have relatives who are still alive who can speak to the harassment they experienced from that group.

If you feel more empathetic towards the Jewish people who experienced the Holocaust then that's fine. It's just ignorant to believe that people couldn't be more empathetic towards the experiences of slavery.

Comment

Yea, of course you're right, after all they are college students and likely adults, but I believe the consequence should be social in nature not putative. Something like working with a black student organization to achieve a common goal would be ideal.
                            I could get on board with that.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post

You cant have any tolerance for stuff like that. Additionally, it should be a teachable moment, as in you educate them somehow.

If you dont know that the organization in the pic and the impact it has had on African-Americans over time, then you are really misinformed.
                              Not that they would not have known the organization and they should even know the impact it had, but their actions align with a common stated trope that we need to get over it. Would you agree that if they were to give an honest answer, they would indicate that they don't see the big deal? We can punish stuff like this all you want, I would rather see something like Mandela's truth and reconciliation commission where everything is brought to the fore and dealt with, without shame or blame.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X