Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

But isn't it more fair than leaving out an 8 seed that deserves to ne in?
    I'd say no. One seeds are likely undefeated and have earned their spot. 8 seeds may be decent teams but they've got loses, win out and its not a problem.

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

So you give the GNAC champ an auto bid this year when they aren't in the top 8 in the region?
    There would have to be a team minimum to qualify for an auto bid, independent teams like UNC Pembroke wouldn't be able to qualify as well, I don't see the argument that some games would be blowouts. LR has blown out its first round opponent the past two years (granted this year was an EA team) but the point is there are already blowouts and this way we wouldn't have controversy every time theres an EA. On top of that, I don't like that the one seed gets a bye, they're already the "best" team in the region, and get home field throughout, why do they need another advantage?

Comment

D2 sets its postseason budget on a 3-year basis in each sport. There is a fixed number of teams with a fixed number players, coaches, and staff per team. This plan proposed above suddenly adds extra team(s) meaning more games which require more officials and event staff at costs that exceed the budget with a week or less notice.

The current system may not be the best but it's better than most other systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
        D2 sets its postseason budget on a 3-year basis in each sport. There is a fixed number of teams with a fixed number players, coaches, and staff per team. This plan proposed above suddenly adds extra team(s) meaning more games which require more officials and event staff at costs that exceed the budget with a week or less notice.

The current system may not be the best but it's better than most other systems.
        Uh, really? Like how do they know what the transportation costs will be? For that matter, all the costs? If what you are saying is true, than just budget in for 3 extra teams. Most years, that budget would likely be higher than actual spending... Not that many EA's ever make it in anyway. FWIW, I'm not a fan of the EA anyway. I would favor the 32 team limit though.

Comment

So you give the GNAC champ an auto bid this year when they aren't in the top 8 in the region?
          The NE10 has enough teams to qualify for a playoff spot but was in the same situation as the GNAC. The NE10 champ (Bentley) finished with a 6-4 record and the only 7-win NE10 school (New Haven) didn't. Parity won the NE10 this year and the PSAC gobbled up five spots in SR1. The only way the NE10 would have qualified was if there were auto bids for league champs, and other than Bentley and New Haven playing PSAC teams close in Week 1, the league didn't have (or deserve) a team in the top 10 of the SR1 rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Uh, really? Like how do they know what the transportation costs will be? For that matter, all the costs? If what you are saying is true, than just budget in for 3 extra teams. Most years, that budget would likely be higher than actual spending... Not that many EA's ever make it in anyway. FWIW, I'm not a fan of the EA anyway. I would favor the 32 team limit though.
            Not that easy though, as Brandon said above - "Changing the number of participants is not an easy process and would actually involve multiple sports over both genders."

Comment

Not that easy though, as Brandon said above - "Changing the number of participants is not an easy process and would actually involve multiple sports over both genders."
              Changing number may not be easy, but it is doable. It's not like it's never been done. And although I respect B's knowledge and opinion. I could argue that it doesn't HAVE to involve any other sport, or gender for that matter. There is no rule or edict that all sports have the similar PO considerations. Now good reasons are necessary to have differences, but it's not like differences can not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Changing number may not be easy, but it is doable. It's not like it's never been done. And although I respect B's knowledge and opinion. I could argue that it doesn't HAVE to involve any other sport, or gender for that matter. There is no rule or edict that all sports have the similar PO considerations. Now good reasons are necessary to have differences, but it's not like differences can not exist.
                Because of Title IX, it will have an effect on women's sports. If the budget is changed in football and more opportunities exist for men, there is typically an expansion of opportunities for the same number of female student-athletes. If the Division II playoffs added four teams, that could possibly mean additions for 200+ female student-athletes in other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Because of Title IX, it will have an effect on women's sports. If the budget is changed in football and more opportunities exist for men, there is typically an expansion of opportunities for the same number of female student-athletes. If the Division II playoffs added four teams, that could possibly mean additions for 200+ female student-athletes in other sports.
                  Good point. I admit I didn't consider Title IX impacts to PO participants. I guess it permeates through every level.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X