Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Division 2 playoff money?

As the NCAA Division 2 football playoffs approach the final 4, I have a question that
    I am sure that someone knows the answer to. Does NCAA Division 2 football have any
    appearance money/funds for teams that qualify for the playoffs? In Division one, teams
    get tons of bowl appearance money (not to mention huge amounts earned during the
    regular season......sometimes literally funding a huge portion of the school's entire
    athletic program)....so in Division one, it's a non-issue. However, in Division 2, many
    programs run on tight budgets, and typically there is little or no money received for away games,
    as you have small stadiums, and even that revenue is a big portion of home team funding.
    If a team makes the semis or finals, they may be flying to the game and thus between
    air, ground, and hotel, it adds up fast for small programs. Are there any corporate sponsors
    for semifinal/final games, or TV revenue(ESPN) for the final?

Re: Division 2 playoff money?

Originally posted by Bob984 View Post
    As the NCAA Division 2 football playoffs approach the final 4, I have a question that
    I am sure that someone knows the answer to. Does NCAA Division 2 football have any
    appearance money/funds for teams that qualify for the playoffs? In Division one, teams
    get tons of bowl appearance money (not to mention huge amounts earned during the
    regular season......sometimes literally funding a huge portion of the school's entire
    athletic program)....so in Division one, it's a non-issue. However, in Division 2, many
    programs run on tight budgets, and typically there is little or no money received for away games,
    as you have small stadiums, and even that revenue is a big portion of home team funding.
    If a team makes the semis or finals, they may be flying to the game and thus between
    air, ground, and hotel, it adds up fast for small programs. Are there any corporate sponsors
    for semifinal/final games, or TV revenue(ESPN) for the final?
    Bowl appearance money comes from the bowls, not the NCAA. Not much beyond travel (for teams 600 miles away or more) and maybe meals from the NCAA in D2. Anything else usually comes from the host and whatever sponsors they can secure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
      Bowl appearance money comes from the bowls, not the NCAA. Not much beyond travel (for teams 600 miles away or more) and maybe meals from the NCAA in D2. Anything else usually comes from the host and whatever sponsors they can secure.
      Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that at least it sounds like they get something to help with expenses. These are not programs with huge athletic budgets, and it is possible you could play 5 playoff games. The teams have earned their appearances, and shouldn't have to worry about their basic expenses for these games.

Comment

The NCAA (D2) covers travel expenses in the playoffs. That is one of the major benefits of being NCAA over NAIA.

Morningside (Sioux City, IA) and Benedictine (Atchison, KS) play in the NAIA championship game in Daytona Beach, Florida in two weeks. They have to fundraise between now and then to pay for the trip unless they have a big booster that will pay the travel expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          The NCAA (D2) covers travel expenses in the playoffs. That is one of the major benefits of being NCAA over NAIA.

Morningside (Sioux City, IA) and Benedictine (Atchison, KS) play in the NAIA championship game in Daytona Beach, Florida in two weeks. They have to fundraise between now and then to pay for the trip unless they have a big booster that will pay the travel expenses.
          Thanks for that clarification, and it is good that the NCAA does this. Also, some years ago, West Chester (I'm an alum) made the national semifinals game. They were crushed, and that was the end of their season. However, I did speculate about the finals........they have a tremendous 350 piece marching band (which I had been both a member and staff member MANY moons ago). I am sure that they would have wanted to get the band to the championship game, but that is also a huge amount of money. I know they would have tried to find a way..........it's a drop in the bucket for division one schools with the bowl payouts, plus the team makes alot of money during the season. Now that I reflect, I know that I saw one or both bands at prior division !A and division 2 playoff games that I watched on TV..........

Sorry that the NAIA teams have to fundraise.........not only that, but they do not have much time to raise the money..............

Comment

I think to host they have to guarantee a certain amount of ticket revenue to the NCAA. The way I understand, the host team only gets to keep anything beyond the guarantee. So PO's aren't moneymakers for D2 teams. I think that's what I like most about the whole setup, though.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X