Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: 1924 MN HS state champs

Years ago I read a story about my hometown of Buffalo Lake MN winning the mythical state championship in football back in 1924. It was interesting to hear about their games and how they beat the big towns around here. Just think how much football has changed over that time. This picture shows a lot of that.

Re: OT: 1924 MN HS state champs

Which one of those guys is you? :smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveItWhenYouCallMeLittlePoppa View Post
      Which one of those guys is you? :smile-big:
      Oh this is way after my time. We never had helmets. Or even uniforms. Which might have been why the opponents feared us so much. I mean, who wants to be tackled by a bunch of naked men?

Comment

I was going to guess that his Granddad might have been one of the poor kids on the back row w/o a helmet.:foot-in-mouth:

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
          I was going to guess that his Granddad might have been one of the poor kids on the back row w/o a helmet.:foot-in-mouth:
          The guy in the front row on the left had a son who played for the Oakland Raiders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Hagberg

Next to him, Sylvester Weispfennig, was the biggest baby born in Renville County. 15 pounds. I coached his three grandsons- all good football players. Their toughest player was Bill "Fat" Lackey. He would just annihilate people. Sometimes opponents tried to play dirty. That was a big mistake. One team refused to play the second half, they were getting beat so badly.

Comment

great old time picture. good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              Oh this is way after my time. We never had helmets. Or even uniforms. Which might have been why the opponents feared us so much. I mean, who wants to be tackled by a bunch of naked men?
              Yep, that must have been before Teddy Roosevelt had to save the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                Years ago I read a story about my hometown of Buffalo Lake MN winning the mythical state championship in football back in 1924. It was interesting to hear about their games and how they beat the big towns around here. Just think how much football has changed over that time. This picture shows a lot of that.

I just read all their last names. Evidently, all they're fathers were Vikings.
                <>

Comment

Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post
                  I just read all their last names. Evidently, all they're fathers were Vikings.
                  Looks like it. Lots of Germans and Scandinavians around here. Not sure what kind of name Lackey is though. They were gone long before my time.

Comment

One other thing. Notice who the starters are? Looks like exactly eleven helmets. I know that if someone subbed in that they had to take the helmet of the player coming off. That could cause some real problems.

Comment

Move ahead thirty years and Buffalo Lake is the District runner up in basketball. That team had two players who scored more than a thousand in their careers, which was extremely rare because of no three point line and fewer games. Again, lots of German names.

Comment

Interesting pictures. I remember Sylvester Weisphennig when he was alive. A good mechanic and good person. He enjoyed talking about high-school football during his era.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X