• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Brown
    @DBrownMidcoSN4m
    In a statement from
    @NorthernSunConf
    in regards to the elimination of the St. Cloud State & Minnesota Crookston football programs, the NSIC will recalibrate its 2020 schedule with 14 schools. There are no specifics on division realignment or how that schedule will look as of now

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

It's beautiful but I think we are still behind on who's won it more. I was hoping to even it up

Comment

What a waste!

Comment

I've long wondered if a split was inevitable, essentially the same story as how so many Missouri schools left the MIAA over the years. One difference being the NSIC has too large a geographic footprint, unlike the reasons for the MIAA departures.

Comment

Well, at least they are complying with Title IX now!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              I've long wondered if a split was inevitable, essentially the same story as how so many Missouri schools left the MIAA over the years. One difference being the NSIC has too large a geographic footprint, unlike the reasons for the MIAA departures.
              16 is too big. And schools have trends, up and down. They tend to do well in certain sports and that can also change as administrations and coaching staffs do. To me, 10 would be perfect for all sports.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/l...ow/4384166002/
                https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/2...witter_sctimes

SCSU gave three reasons for dropping football (and women's golf)

1. To align SCSU athletics with Title IX requirements
                An August ruling in federal court required the university to provide its female students with equitable opportunity to participate in athletics programs under the 1972 Title IX law that bars discrimination based on sex in federally funded education settings.

2. To ensure financial sustainability for the university and its athletics programs
                Fall enrollment at SCSU was lower than projected and the university is facing a deficit of around $5.1 million for the fiscal year 2020. Changes in the athletics lineup will reduce athletic department budget shortfalls totaling $1.6 million over the last five years and will save around $1.25 million annually.

3. To ensure compliance with NCAA bylaws
                Division II schools must sponsor a men's or mixed-gender and a women's sport in each of the three school seasons (fall, winter and spring). Men's soccer will fulfill this requirement for fall.

What about adding more women's programs?
                The university said it considered adding women's programs, but none of the potential scenarios would have brought its athletics program into compliance with Title IX and address St. Cloud State's financial situation.

What does Title IX have to do with it?
                In 2016 the university removed six athletic programs, including men's and women's tennis and Nordic skiing. That led to a lawsuit, with athletes claiming the university violated Title IX, a 1972 U.S. law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs funded with federal dollars.

The judge found St. Cloud State didn't comply with Title IX from at least 2014 and ordered the university to fix the imbalance. In part, the school needs to better align the proportion of female and male athletes with the proportion men and women who are full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students at the university.

Eliminating football and golf was the only way St. Cloud State found to address its financial challenges while complying with the court's order, Wacker said.

What about the student athletes?
                Around 115 student athletes are affected by the program eliminations. The university will help student athletes who wish to transfer and honor scholarships for up to four years.

The football team had 98 players on its roster this year

There are eight women and eight men who play golf at St. Cloud State. It's a fall and spring sport. Golf will continue through the spring.

The teams have 20 scholarships; some of those scholarships are split or shared among more than one student.

What about students who have signed letters of intent?
                National Letters of Intent are void if a sport program is discontinued.

What about the coaches and staff?What will happen with Husky Stadium?
                Husky Stadium will continue to be used by the university's women's soccer, softball, baseball and the new men's soccer teams. High school football games will still be held at the stadium.

How will this affect homecoming?
                St. Cloud State men's hockey and volleyball are scheduled for home contests during the 2020 Homecoming weekend.

Why men's soccer?
                Division II schools must sponsor a men's or mixed-gender and a women's sport in each of the three school seasons and men's soccer will fulfill this requirement for fall.

St. Cloud State said the sport is one of the fastest-growing and requires a lower level of staffing, scholarship and operational resources compared to football.

When will soccer start?
                The university said it will begin an immediate search for a head coach and intends to begin play in fall 2020.
                Start men's soccer in fall 2020? Yikes. That is a quick turnaround. Aren't schedules probably already set for next season?
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Start men's soccer in fall 2020? Yikes. That is a quick turnaround. Aren't schedules probably already set for next season?
                  I'm not sure who else has men's soccer around here at the D2 level. Plenty of D3s, the U of M doesn't even have it. Upper Iowa and Mary are the only two NSIC schools that I know who do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...occer_programs

Comment

I'm not sure who else has men's soccer around here at the D2 level. Plenty of D3s, the U of M doesn't even have it. Upper Iowa and Mary are the only two NSIC schools that I know who do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...occer_programs
                    Mary just discontinued their men's soccer a month ago. All the GLVC schools have the sport, UIU is in the GLIAC, and eight schools in the GAC/MIAA partnership.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Mary just discontinued their men's soccer a month ago. All the GLVC schools have the sport, UIU is in the GLIAC, and eight schools in the GAC/MIAA partnership.
                      Good info, I hadn't heard that. They seemed pretty isolated out there.

Comment

Good info, I hadn't heard that. They seemed pretty isolated out there.
                        Yes, very isolated. Mary and Sioux Falls joined the GNAC in 2012 but USF dropped the sport after one year in the conference. Mary was a member for four seasons and was an independent the last four seasons. SD Mines, UIU, and Fort Hays are the closest men's soccer schools to them.

St. Cloud will have a lot of travel too. Since SCSU men's swimming is a GLIAC affiliate I expect the same agreement for men's soccer for a nine team conference including UIU.

Comment

Wonder if that'll give St. Thomas a chance to join the NSIC if the NCAA doesn't grant the waiver to go DI

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                            Wonder if that'll give St. Thomas a chance to join the NSIC if the NCAA doesn't grant the waiver to go DI
                            The NSIC will still be at 16 schools as St. Cloud and Crookston are not leaving the NSIC, they are just dropping football (and men's and women's golf in SCSU's case).
                            Millsy

Comment

The NSIC doesn't need more teams. They are still at 16- no one has left. 14 is still too many for football- they won't be adding anyone. Only if Augie leaves- possibly not even then.

Comment

Stanger posted this on Twitter. I thought it was really interesting to show the size of the conference and the number of games played. I think Tech only had seven games in 1966. Quite different from the eleven game season of today.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X