Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Besides D2 game, which football game on 12/15/18 interests you the most?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Besides D2 game, which football game on 12/15/18 interests you the most?

This coming Saturday (12/15/18) is shaping up to be a big day for college football with a pair of NFL games thrown into the mix for good measure. (In some states, some or all of the state high school football championships are also being played on Saturday.) It is the first day of the college bowl season, and besides the D2 national championship game (Ferris State/Valdosta State, 4 PM ET, ESPNU), Division I-AA/FCS has one of its two national semifinal games and NAIA has its championship game that day as well. (The Division III championship and one of the two Division I-AA/FCS semifinal games will be played on Friday 12/14.) On top of that, the HBCUs will have their unofficial championship game, the fourth annual MEAC vs SWAC "championship" game. Finally, the NFL features a pair of games, one that features a team that has had a long winning streak and one that features a team making a solid push for a wild-card playoff spot. So which of the games listed above holds the most interest to you?
    12:00 PM ET: HBCU championship (FCS/DI-AA) - North Carolina A&T (9-2) vs Alcorn State (9-3) (ABC)
    6.67%
    1:30 PM ET: Cure Bowl - Tulane (6-6) vs Louisiana-Lafayette (7-6) (CBS Sports Network)
    0.00%
    2:00 PM ET: New Mexico Bowl - North Texas (9-3) vs Utah State (10-2) (ESPN)
    13.33%
    2:00 PM ET: Division I-AA/FCS semifinal - Maine (10-3) at Eastern Washington (11-2) (ESPN2)
    23.33%
    3:30 PM ET: Las Vegas Bowl - Arizona State (7-5) vs Fresno State (11-2) (ABC)
    6.67%
    4:30 PM ET: NFL - Houston (9-3) at N.Y. Jets (3-9) (NFL Network)
    0.00%
    5:30 PM ET: Camellia Bowl - Georgia Southern (9-3) vs Eastern Michigan (7-5) (ESPN)
    0.00%
    6:00 PM ET: NAIA championship - Benedictine (KS) (13-1) vs Morningside (IA) (14-0) (ESPN3)
    26.67%
    8:20 PM ET: NFL - Cleveland (4-7-1) at Denver (6-6) (NFL Network)
    16.67%
    9:00 PM ET: New Orleans Bowl - Middle Tennessee State (8-5) vs Appalachian State (10-2) (ESPN)
    6.67%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by CHIP72; 12-09-2018, 12:04 PM.

Re: Besides D2 game, which football game on 12/15/18 interests you the most

#1 would be the D2 championship game. Ferris just beat the Mavs yesterday in the semis, and Valdosta did the same in 2012.

#2 would be Morningside in the NAIA title game. Former NCC team that I watched for decades.

#3 would be Maine at Eastern Washington in the FCS semifinals.

Not very interested in the NFL games. Leave Saturday for the colleges.

Comment

Georgia Southern, Hope they get they're AS$ES handed to them.
      <>

Comment

Maine at EWU, should be obvious with living in EWU and being friends with people that went there.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          You (and others) may already know this, but due to the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, by federal law the NFL is essentially prohibited from televising games on Friday evenings and Saturdays between the second Friday in September and the second Saturday in December, which covers high school and college football's regular seasons. The same act allowed the NFL and other pro sports leagues (as well as college sports conferences and teams) to have national TV contracts that cover and are pooled among all of a league's teams. This federal law explains why the NFL never plays games on Fridays and Saturdays for most of their season, except in the latter half of December when the high school football season is over (and even then the NFL has played very, very few Friday night games in its history) and when college football is in its postseason (bowl season).

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
            You (and others) may already know this, but due to the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, by federal law the NFL is essentially prohibited from televising games on Friday evenings and Saturdays between the second Friday in September and the second Saturday in December, which covers high school and college football's regular seasons. The same act allowed the NFL and other pro sports leagues (as well as college sports conferences and teams) to have national TV contracts that cover and are pooled among all of a league's teams. This federal law explains why the NFL never plays games on Fridays and Saturdays for most of their season, except in the latter half of December when the high school football season is over (and even then the NFL has played very, very few Friday night games in its history) and when college football is in its postseason (bowl season).
            Now if we could just get the BIG to do the same thing with Friday nights. To me, that should be for high schools.

Comment

If you're a fan of football, it doesn't matter. If your team isn't playing, you watch and channel switch to the most interesting game at the time strictly for the enjoyment of the game.
              Go Hounds!
              B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
              Cyclone Power
              ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

To answer my own poll question, I don't have strong interest in any of the games, but there are a few that I find at least semi-interesting. The North Texas/Utah State and Arizona State/Fresno State bowl games are good matchups. The DI-AA semifinal game features an upstart team (Maine) playing a perennial power (Eastern Washington) and should be intriguing. I really don't pay attention to NAIA, largely due to the fact there haven't been any NAIA teams anywhere near where I've lived during my sports fan lifetime, but Benedictine/Morningside is a stronger than average NAIA title game. Finally, neither of the NFL games is great, but at least I can scout the Texans (who play my team, the Eagles, the following week) and the Browns/Broncos game features two teams with faint playoff hopes.

Comment

Now if we could just get the BIG to do the same thing with Friday nights. To me, that should be for high schools.
                  Laker, all college conferences should give up playing on Fridays. Hate taking away from Friday Night Lights.

Comment

#1 would be the D2 championship game. Ferris just beat the Mavs yesterday in the semis, and Valdosta did the same in 2012.

#2 would be Morningside in the NAIA title game. Former NCC team that I watched for decades.

#3 would be Maine at Eastern Washington in the FCS semifinals.

Go Chiefs.... mmm, I mean Mustangs

Comment

I've watched Maine for two weeks now since they walloped Jax State last Saturday. Will definitely check in on that game.
                      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by BJ Hawk View Post
                        Laker, all college conferences should give up playing on Fridays. Hate taking away from Friday Night Lights.
                        Oh, I'm with you. I'm just dealing with the local big boys who had the biggest % drop in attendance in FBS since last year. They got rid of head coach Claeys because they said he couldn't sell enough tickets. And they pay people big money to make those decisions............

The University of Minnesota could screw up a two car funeral.

Comment

I'm a Broncos fan, so that game interests me most, but it's on the NFL Network, so I won't watch it. :at-wits-end:

Comment

There's another football game on 12/15/18 besides D2 game?

Comment

I voted for the Las Vegas Bowl only because former Sioux Falls HC Kalen Deboer is the OC at Fresno State now along with former USF offensive line coach and OC Ryan Grubb, who is the offensive line coach for the Bulldogs.
                              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                              2016 NSIC Champions
                              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X