Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a real FBS playoff, but until it makes more money for everyone that has their hand in the cookie jar, it's just wishful thinking.....

Leave a comment:

• Gliac_fan10
    replied
    Originally posted by Mandan View Post

The teams that win the FCS/D2/D3 championships pretty much play an NFL season already by the time they finish the championship game. So they can do it but FBS athletes can't?

Leave a comment:

• Mandan
    replied
    Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
    Say we had an 8 team playoff this year, LSU vs Wisconsin, Ohio State vs Baylor, Clemson vs Oregon, Oklahoma vs Georgia, I'm guessing the only difference from the final 4 we had this year would be Georgia replacing Oklahoma. LSU vs Georgia, Ohio State vs Clemson, sure there could be an upset and we would get 4 more interesting games, but as has been stated before, can we really expect these young men to play what amounts to an NFL season, while maintaining eligibility, without compensation. I'm guessing we will be stuck with 4 for a while but 6 or 8 seems like the next logical step.
    The teams that win the FCS/D2/D3 championships pretty much play an NFL season already by the time they finish the championship game. So they can do it but FBS athletes can't?

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
    Tell the non athlete with $50K+ in Student loans that the players aren't already getting paid and listen to what they say.
    Agree 100%, the university shouldn't be paying the players, but players should be allowed to work. The NCAA should not be able to dictate weather or not a student athlete should have the right to earn a living while playing a sport. With the insane amount of money kids are making on social media today I would think high profile athletes could earn enough to insure they could get their degrees and have something to fall back on if the NFL isn't in their future.

Leave a comment:

• 4nick8
    replied
    Tell the non athlete with $50K+ in Student loans that the players aren't already getting paid and listen to what they say.

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    OSU had ample opportunities to put Clemson away but settled for fgs, which led to leaving Clemson with just enough of an opening to make their move and then press OSU. It was a great game, much more gut-wrenching and entertaining than LSU/Oklahoma. As for the FBS playoff format, I Iike four teams, but wouldn't be opposed to 8 teams max. With more than 8 teams, adjusting the regular season then becomes an issue. Money then rears it ugly head even more so than it does now, and we all know that money drives the conversation at this level....

Leave a comment:

• PSACfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post

Did... did you watch OSU/Clemson last night?

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    Maybe the LSU vs Oklahoma game was flag football, but Ohio State vs Clemson was a whole different animal. As Coach Day said "they were going to make Clemson feel their violence". Ohio State was bringing the wood in that first half. It was like a heavy weight fight and the Buckeyes came out throwing haymakers while Clemson ducked and moved and did just enough to stay in the game. It was abundantly clear why having the #1 seed was so very important. #1 would possibly get tested for a quarter or so and #2 was going to be in a war with Clemson. Hope that the Natty is as good as the Fiesta Bowl.

Leave a comment:

• Mk63NuclearBomb
    replied
    Did... did you watch OSU/Clemson last night?

Leave a comment:

• PSACfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
    I'm open to expansion if the players get payed. Institutions already cover losses from their athletic departments, so it's just a question of covering a little bit more. My concern is that we're asking players (Many of whom will be trying to make it in the NFL after college) to play 15 or 16 games in as many weeks, with all the injury risk associated, for zero short term gain.

Leave a comment:

• PSACfan1
    replied
    Yeah I agree. They need to get rid of the month long wait.

Leave a comment:

• PSACfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by William Fisher Iv View Post
    I am also tired of the annual and ridiculous arguments over the top four FBS playoff teams that leave out many well deserving teams that would be selected in a D2 style playoff.

One problem, among many, with making a change involves the necessary reduction in regular season games from 12-13 to 10-11 that would eliminate two revenue producing home games with FCS and non-power 5 schools.

This would eliminate program enhancing payouts to these lower level schools and the power 5 schools would be giving up two guaranteed home games for one or two possible early round playoff games. I could see both parties objecting to this change on strictly revenue loss grounds.

I have read an opinion piece from one FBS coach arguing that these games and payouts to lower level teams are good for the overall health of college football by diverting much needed financial assistance downward to these schools. Cutting two games from power 5 schedules would do harm to these schools and there would have to be some accomodation to make up for this loss for the D2 style playoff format to work.

Leave a comment:

• Gliac_fan10
    replied
    Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
    Say we had an 8 team playoff this year, LSU vs Wisconsin, Ohio State vs Baylor, Clemson vs Oregon, Oklahoma vs Georgia, I'm guessing the only difference from the final 4 we had this year would be Georgia replacing Oklahoma. LSU vs Georgia, Ohio State vs Clemson, sure there could be an upset and we would get 4 more interesting games, but as has been stated before, can we really expect these young men to play what amounts to an NFL season, while maintaining eligibility, without compensation. I'm guessing we will be stuck with 4 for a while but 6 or 8 seems like the next logical step.

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Anyone who advocates for leaving the D1 FBS playoff structure as is because of potential blowouts should also advocate for reducing the basketball playoffs to 32 teams to avoid similar blowouts.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X