Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNALions
    replied
    Even the D2 playoffs took decades to expand to the current amount of teams in the field.

From Wikipedia:

It was first held in 1973, as a single-elimination tournament with eight teams. The tournament field has subsequently been expanded three times; in 1988 it became 16 teams, in 2004 it became 24 teams, and in 2016 it became 28 teams.

Leave a comment:

• Gliac_fan10
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mk63NuclearBomb
    replied
    I'm open to expansion if the players get payed. Institutions already cover losses from their athletic departments, so it's just a question of covering a little bit more. My concern is that we're asking players (Many of whom will be trying to make it in the NFL after college) to play 15 or 16 games in as many weeks, with all the injury risk associated, for zero short term gain.

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Originally posted by William Fisher Iv View Post
    I am also tired of the annual and ridiculous arguments over the top four FBS playoff teams that leave out many well deserving teams that would be selected in a D2 style playoff.

One problem, among many, with making a change involves the necessary reduction in regular season games from 12-13 to 10-11 that would eliminate two revenue producing home games with FCS and non-power 5 schools.

This would eliminate program enhancing payouts to these lower level schools and the power 5 schools would be giving up two guaranteed home games for one or two possible early round playoff games. I could see both parties objecting to this change on strictly revenue loss grounds.

I have read an opinion piece from one FBS coach arguing that these games and payouts to lower level teams are good for the overall health of college football by diverting much needed financial assistance downward to these schools. Cutting two games from power 5 schedules would do harm to these schools and there would have to be some accomodation to make up for this loss for the D2 style playoff format to work.

Leave a comment:

• Argonut
    replied
    I am also tired of the annual and ridiculous arguments over the top four FBS playoff teams that leave out many well deserving teams that would be selected in a D2 style playoff.

One problem, among many, with making a change involves the necessary reduction in regular season games from 12-13 to 10-11 that would eliminate two revenue producing home games with FCS and non-power 5 schools.

This would eliminate program enhancing payouts to these lower level schools and the power 5 schools would be giving up two guaranteed home games for one or two possible early round playoff games. I could see both parties objecting to this change on strictly revenue loss grounds.

I have read an opinion piece from one FBS coach arguing that these games and payouts to lower level teams are good for the overall health of college football by diverting much needed financial assistance downward to these schools. Cutting two games from power 5 schedules would do harm to these schools and there would have to be some accomodation to make up for this loss for the D2 style playoff format to work.

Leave a comment:

• PSACfan1
    started a topic OT: D1 CFP

OT: D1 CFP

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X