Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Would YOU Consider the Top 5 Coaching Positions in NCAA DII Footba

Originally posted by Braves'86 View Post
    I find it annoying....err I mean amusing that I was actually suggesting neither school belongs in this conversation and you chose to focus on that one snippet.
    Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

Re: What Would YOU Consider the Top 5 Coaching Positions in NCAA DII Footba

I hate topics like this because there are so many ways to look at them. Are we talking about a school where you will get the notoriety to be able to move up? Are we talking about a situation where you have the ability to have sustained success? Are we talking about a school where you are given every opportunity to be successful?

I look at it more from the standpoint of being able to be successful with what the school has to offer coaches in terms of ability to recruit, facilities, and financial stability within the school's athletic department.

With those criteria in mind, my top 5 would be:

GVSU, Valdosta St, NWMSU, Pittsburg St and WTAMU?

I would include Ferris, but I still have significant concerns about the ability of the school to maintain its current level of success amid given its location (not a big city) and its history of not being in great financial shape (Ferris is the reason I attended GVSU). From a pure coaching standpoint, I think T.A. is one of the best coaches in DII and had made the position a destination (even if I think the A in T.A. stands for a rear end).

I'm sure other schools could be considered on this list.

I think one way to look at this question is if a school has sustained success with different coaches. When you look at the major D1 programs people consider destination coaching jobs, it is because they have had multiple coaches with sustained success.

Michigan, Ohio St, Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia, and Florida are all D1 programs that come to mind for destinations. Florida St and Penn St to me are somewhat on the fringe of this because they had so much success with a lone coach and the success has not been sustained at that level since the coach left. (I know PSU's issues were NCAA related and they have shown success since they came off the NCAA's penalties). FSU is very borderline to me right now as Bowden was the only coach that had sustained success and they are on a down turn currently. I'm not as sold on USC staying within this list either right now. Texas stays on the list because of the importance of football within the state even through a decade plus of struggles which they might be pulling out of.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X