Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-II Football Revenue Streams

I am curious how other schools generate revenue and who operates those revenue streams?

1. Does a 3rd party operate stadium food concessions; how much of that profit goes to Athletics?
    2. Who controls merchandise sold at the stadium? Does all the money go to Athletics?
    3. Does your school license clothing? i.e. can you go into a local store and buy official clothing/merchandise?
    4. What is the minimum Athletic Fund contribution required to buy two RESERVED SEAT (mention if chairback vs bench) season tickets?
    5. Can you purchase Athletic Team gear? Jerseys, MyUniversity Football t-shirts, polo, etc

At UWG the bookstore sells merchandise and I think only a small portion, if any, goes to the Athletic dept. Our AD refuses to license clothing so you can't buy UWG anything except thru the bookstore. I think it's a bad move on his part.
    Last edited by Braves'86; 12-20-2018, 10:42 AM.

Re: D-II Football Revenue Streams

I can give this a try from what I know at WSSU:

1. We rent the stadium from the city so I am not sure if we get any cut of the concessions sold at the 3 permanent concession stands. There are also various vendors around the stadium who pay a fee to set up stands (some for clothes and some for additional food items like you would see at a fair). I know the nonfood vendors pay the school to set up tables, but not sure if the food vendors pay the city or the school.
    2. As above the school approves what clothing vendors can be inside the stadium. Our bookstore sets up a stand and sells licensed products at the games, but the vendors also sell WSSU branded items. I surely hope all of the vendors selling WSSU branded items at the games have a license from the school; however, I am not so certain.
    3. Yes, we utilize a third party to manage the trademark licensing process. In Winston (and other cities in the Triad) you can find WSSU gear at local stores including Walmart and sporting good stores. However, it's obviously nowhere close to the availability of merchandise that you see for the ACC schools, other FBS schools, or most of the FCS schools. Our bookstore is where you find the largest selection, and items can be ordered online.
    4. No minimum donation to buy season tickets. However, by donating at least $1,000 you get access to purchase reserved seating (for football that's midfield chair back seats). At $2,500 and above you receive tickets for all home games in every sport (not sure of the cap on free tickets).

Comment

I am currently working on my Master's in Sports Management.

The idea of that the AD won't license clothing sounds like one of two issues. Either he isn't smart, or someone above him won't allow the licensing of merchandise. I would guess there is some sort of contractual limitation in place that grants the UWG bookstore exclusivity rights to selling UWG merchandise. If that is the case that agreement is likely costing the school a substantial chunk of money each year, both the athletic department and the school in general would be suffering. Merchandising sales of big sources of revenue even for small college programs. Certainly it is nothing compared to the big name athletic programs like UGA, Alabama or Michigan, but it is still a pretty penny for the schools to license their products for sale outside of the school area itself.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
        I am currently working on my Master's in Sports Management.

The idea of that the AD won't license clothing sounds like one of two issues. Either he isn't smart....
        It's this one. I'm sure of it.

Comment

I don't know the specifics about the stream, but I can give some information:

1) Our concessions are student-run, but I believe they are managed by the same company that the school contracted with to do regular student meals.
          2) We have a booth or two, I believe it is run by the bookstore as it's much of the same gear.
          3) Yes. I know of at least three off-campus locations to buy clothes, in addition to the bookstore. We also have the option to order clothing through the athletic department at certain times of the year. I've never done it, but I believe it's the same clothing that the athletes have access too.
          4) I don't believe there is a donation required.

A couple other notes:
          -Parking at the stadium used to be free, now they charge $5 for it. It doesn't appear to have deterred the fans, so they probably make a good sum from it.
          -The amount of space allocated for clothing in the bookstore has expanded quite a bit over the past few years.

Comment

Don't know a lot of these, but here is what Pitt Has.

I am curious how other schools generate revenue and who operates those revenue streams?

1. Does a 3rd party operate stadium food concessions; how much of that profit goes to Athletics? Pitt has a mixture. Normal concessions, stuff from local and chain restaurants, and 3rd party kiosks. No idea on the split for each.
            2. Who controls merchandise sold at the stadium? Does all the money go to Athletics? Not sure, but it is sold at the stadium.
            3. Does your school license clothing? i.e. can you go into a local store and buy official clothing/merchandise? Yes
            4. What is the minimum Athletic Fund contribution required to buy two RESERVED SEAT (mention if chairback vs bench) season tickets? 120+550 Chairback (Lux boxes are way more expensive.)
            5. Can you purchase Athletic Team gear? Jerseys, MyUniversity Football t-shirts, polo, etc. Yes

There are also parking fees, tailgate fees, and constant, horribly loud, advertising on the jumbotron.

Comment

I almost forgot a literal army of telemarketers hitting people up for donations starting on graduation night.

Comment

The main revenue stream for D2 sports is student taxes. All of the other revenue streams combined represent a fraction of the income for an athletic department.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                  The main revenue stream for D2 sports is student taxes. All of the other revenue streams combined represent a fraction of the income for an athletic department.
                  When I was a student working 50 hours a week and going to school, this used to really piss me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Braves'86 View Post

1. Does a 3rd party operate stadium food concessions; how much of that profit goes to Athletics?
                    2. Who controls merchandise sold at the stadium? Does all the money go to Athletics?
                    3. Does your school license clothing? i.e. can you go into a local store and buy official clothing/merchandise?
                    4. What is the minimum Athletic Fund contribution required to buy two RESERVED SEAT (mention if chairback vs bench) season tickets?
                    5. Can you purchase Athletic Team gear? Jerseys, MyUniversity Football t-shirts, polo, etc

At UWG the bookstore sells merchandise and I think only a small portion, if any, goes to the Athletic dept. Our AD refuses to license clothing so you can't buy UWG anything except thru the bookstore. I think it's a bad move on his part.
                    At Southern Arkansas University
                    1. The Softball or Baseball team run the food concessions and not much is made off of them, any profit I beleive goes back to the sport that is working the event.
                    2. I beleive the Bookstore controls the merchandise sold at the stadium.
                    3. Our school liscense clothing at a store in town as well as Walmart. You can also buy it online through a couple of third party's
                    4. If it's just for football you can't get reserved seats untill you give $100.00. However at $250 you can get two all sports passes.
                    5. I do not believe you can purchase Athletic Team gear at SAU. WHICH IS A SHAMMEEEEEEEEE. I HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR IT FOR YEARS!

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      I almost forgot a literal army of telemarketers hitting people up for donations starting on graduation night.
                      Technically speaking, I'm an alumni of the school I am attending.

There's nothing quite like getting calls about donations when I'm trying to get ready for finals, or whenever it was they were calling me.

Comment

Its amazing what Google can tell you these days.

https://www.westga.edu/administratio...-licensing.php

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                          When I was a student working 50 hours a week and going to school, this used to really piss me off.
                          It doesn't piss anyone off these days, because most kids have student loans. They'll be paying for their football tickets for the next 20 years after graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                            It doesn't piss anyone off these days, because most kids have student loans. They'll be paying for their football tickets for the next 20 years after graduation.
                            Just part of working the system, not saying it's right, but they know how to collect that money. The government will have to come in and specifically label what a school can and can't charge for like the so famous Athletic Fee.

Comment

At NWMSU it takes a $100 donation to the Booster Club to be able to buy up to 4 reserved season seats at the season ticket going rate.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X