Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The South has Arisen Again

You're right -- in a vacuum. But 8 of the past 12 national championships have been won by midwest schools, so couldn't I say the balance of power is in the midwest? I mean, why an arbitrary three-year cutoff?
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

All regions have won two consecutive titles, but only the north (early 1970's) and the south (early 1990's and current streak) have won 3-4 consecutive titles. We now appear to be in the south's second title run of three or more consecutive titles, hence the header-The South has Arisen Again.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

You're right -- in a vacuum. But 8 of the past 12 national championships have been won by midwest schools, so couldn't I say the balance of power is in the midwest? I mean, why an arbitrary three-year cutoff?
        The last 10 years of national championship games have had 9 teams from the south (Valdosta X2, West Florida X2, Texas A & M Commerce, Lenior-Rhyne, North Alabama, Winston-Salem, Delta St.), 6 teams from the north (Minn.St. X2, Ferris St., Minn.-Duluth, Shepard, Wayne St. (Mich.)), 4 teams from the midwest (NW Mo.St. X3, Pittsburgh St.) and 1 team from the west (CSU-Pueblo). From this long term participant list and the short term trend of three consecutive champions from the south it is clear that the balance of power is shifting to the south.

Comment

I was lumping the schools you have from the north, midwest and west into one group, since on a map they're right in the middle of the country.

But I see what you're getting at. I'm playing devil's advocate here. In the past three years, the south has been on top. But take a longer look at it, that's not necessarily so.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

I think the trends in football rules will benefit the south (Gulf South) and the southwest (Lone Star) moving forward.

Comment

13 of the last 20 champions have NOT been from the South. While indeed there is three in a row from the south, I for one do not see this as a return of dominance. If southern teams can win 13 out of 20 (and 13 of 17 up until these last three years) then I can support your argument.

However, I will concede that with the declining population bases in the northern states, the odds are that the southern schools will do better as that is where the population is growing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X