Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 Football, Winds Of Change

With all of the recent developments, including eyes being opened as it pertains to on-line college education, I'm not very optimistic about the longevity of D2 college football, especially for a lot of private institutions. I'm sure a lot people are at home (due to COVID-19) reevaluating everything, including high tuition cost and accumulating college debt verses other more cost efficient options, especially the alternative options in the fields of education they are pursuing.

Sure the 'college experience' is very special for those who attended, or those who are presently attending college universities. The fraternities, the freedom of dorm life, the support of the college's athletics, the expanded social life, spring break, etc, etc. However, things are changing very quickly, and it may not turn out all that well in the near future for private institutions of higher learning, and the high cost of students attending the same school their parents or friends attended. Enrollment and tuition are the life blood of private schools, so much more so than public institutions. As enrollments and tuition revenue decrease, administrators start to look at ways of 'trimming the fat' in ways that do not directly effect their income, and athletics start being more scrutinized.

I'm afraid that the D2 Football we have become accustom to and have thoroughly enjoined over the years will start seeing major changes in the near future.

I hope everyone stays in, stays safe, and stays healthy.

College education has been financially unsustainable for a long time - and a bad "investment" for probably 90% of students. The pandemic may or may not accelerate the issue, but the issue exists nonetheless. Small schools often use college athletics as a foundation for their enrollment. I can think of a handful of schools off the top of my head that wouldn't exist if they didn't have college athletics. Typically, schools that close fall with their AD intact - very rarely do they cancel it beforehand.

What baffles me is students' willingness to attend a non-competitive private school to get the same education they could receive at a state school for 10x the cost. Except for maybe two institutions, Minnesota is full of mediocre private colleges with zero competitiveness or exclusivity.

Comment

I would not be surprised if collegiate athletics went to a scholarship division, and a non-scholarship division. (No Division II structure as we know it currently.)

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
        College education has been financially unsustainable for a long time - and a bad "investment" for probably 90% of students. The pandemic may or may not accelerate the issue, but the issue exists nonetheless. Small schools often use college athletics as a foundation for their enrollment. I can think of a handful of schools off the top of my head that wouldn't exist if they didn't have college athletics. Typically, schools that close fall with their AD intact - very rarely do they cancel it beforehand.

What baffles me is students' willingness to attend a non-competitive private school to get the same education they could receive at a state school for 10x the cost. Except for maybe two institutions, Minnesota is full of mediocre private colleges with zero competitiveness or exclusivity.
        You're right, and that was part of the conversation we had. The student athlete, which is playing football for a private school, receives a partial scholarship, but that partial scholarship far from covers the very high cost of attending the school. The student athlete's aspirations are to pursue a teaching degree, and eventually get involved in high school coaching. The state supported schools offer the same teaching degree, along with scholarship opportunities including athletic, merit, etc. Once a student receives a teaching degree, be it from a private or public institution, they all must pass the same state examination to be employed as a teacher. There's no advantage based on where you received your degree, and all teachers receive the same pay, it's just that some are burdened with high student dept, while others are not.

The student athlete's father also talked about how everyone gets caught up in the moment and excitement of the attention a son receives during the recruiting process. Adding, that sometimes clear thinking and true evaluation is all clouded by the fact and pride that someone's dream is coming through in playing college football, and a (partial) scholarship has been offered. True evaluation starts to hit home once the bills start piling up, and it start coming into the realization of what this 'dream' is actually costing. The added cost of the 'dream' starts falling on the shoulders of the parents, or loans made to the student. Looking back, I too was caught up in that same dream come true situation. The true realization is, not all partial scholarships offers are in anyway equal once things shake out.

Also, Maverick, I agree, I see future changes coming in scholarships and non-scholarship classifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

You're right, and that was part of the conversation we had. The student athlete, which is playing football for a private school, receives a partial scholarship, but that partial scholarship far from covers the very high cost of attending the school. The student athlete's aspirations are to pursue a teaching degree, and eventually get involved in high school coaching. The state supported schools offer the same teaching degree, along with scholarship opportunities including athletic, merit, etc. Once a student receives a teaching degree, be it from a private or public institution, they all must pass the same state examination to be employed as a teacher. There's no advantage based on where you received your degree, and all teachers receive the same pay, it's just that some are burdened with high student dept, while others are not.

The student athlete's father also talked about how everyone gets caught up in the moment and excitement of the attention a son receives during the recruiting process. Adding, that sometimes clear thinking and true evaluation is all clouded by the fact and pride that someone's dream is coming through in playing college football, and a (partial) scholarship has been offered. True evaluation starts to hit home once the bills start piling up, and it start coming into the realization of what this 'dream' is actually costing. The added cost of the 'dream' starts falling on the shoulders of the parents, or loans made to the student. Looking back, I too was caught up in that same dream come true situation. The true realization is, not all partial scholarships offers are in anyway equal once things shake out.

Also, Maverick, I agree, I see future changes coming in scholarships and non-scholarship classifications.
          Agree with this. Many have to deal with student loan debt after graduation, or their parents. Financial reality is essential, and probably going to become more so.
          Also, with high travel costs, the high number of male and female teams to support today, and increased competition for students, I believe a general reappraisal and reorganization of scholarship athletics will be made this decade.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X