Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crixus
    replied
    Good news from over the weekend. Several D2 players were selected in the inaugural Major League Rugby collegiate draft. 400 college rugby players announced, but only 24 were selected to go pro. Congratulations to them!

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/20...fe4J9ZkUCxf8X8

Leave a comment:

• Tech Boys
    replied
    Seattle Pacific drops women's gymnastics. They were already discussing this before the shut down and the current conditions just brought the decision forward.

SPU to Discontinue Gymnastics Program

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by crixus View Post

I know that lacrosse had an influence on ice hockey, and I'm pretty sure you're right that it's an urban legend of rugby influencing ice hockey. If you have ESPN+ I recommend that you watch some of the Super Rugby replays there. Both matches were great and I can't wait for the next round this coming weekend.

BTW, your college has a rugby club. The NCAA doesn't regulate Men's Rugby (USA Rugby does) because rugby has been played at the college level longer than the NCAA has been around. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...Football_Union

And Major League Rugby (pro rugby in the USA) just had their first collegiate draft over the weekend.

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2...ufMVZbjSFpnUQcQTIA-IcVvC1JuzwJLfe4J9ZkUCxf8X8
    I've wanted to dive into it, at least to just watch a couple matches. I might have to check it out this week.

Rugby at SMSU was pretty popular at one point, I know they still field a team but I'm not sure if it's as popular as it once was.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Rugby shirts are great. Too bad they aren't worn much on the pitch anymore. A few teams still wear the traditional collars but not many. It's easier to be tackled if the defense has something extra to grab hold of. But if you still have those shirts (and can fit into them) you should wear them regularly. Retro rules!

Chris Farley (RIP) played rugby at Marquette University back in the 80's. The other picture is of you (far left) and your buddies hanging out after high school. ;)
    Those shirts got recycled a long time ago- worn out AND way too small!

That other picture looks more like the girls from Hector................. :)

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    Ah- the rugby shirt. I remember them being extremely popular for casual wear in the mid to late 1970s. I had maroon/gold, blue/green, orange/white & green/gold short sleeved ones, and a red/gray long sleeved,
    Rugby shirts are great. Too bad they aren't worn much on the pitch anymore. A few teams still wear the traditional collars but not many. It's easier to be tackled if the defense has something extra to grab hold of. But if you still have those shirts (and can fit into them) you should wear them regularly. Retro rules!

Chris Farley (RIP) played rugby at Marquette University back in the 80's. The other picture is of you (far left) and your buddies hanging out after high school. ;)

Last edited by crixus; 06-15-2020, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

It's rumored that rugby had an early influence on ice hockey as well, although that appears to be more of an urban legend than anything concrete.
    I know that lacrosse had an influence on ice hockey, and I'm pretty sure you're right that it's an urban legend of rugby influencing ice hockey. If you have ESPN+ I recommend that you watch some of the Super Rugby replays there. Both matches were great and I can't wait for the next round this coming weekend.

BTW, your college has a rugby club. The NCAA doesn't regulate Men's Rugby (USA Rugby does) because rugby has been played at the college level longer than the NCAA has been around. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...Football_Union

And Major League Rugby (pro rugby in the USA) just had their first collegiate draft over the weekend.

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2...ufMVZbjSFpnUQcQTIA-IcVvC1JuzwJLfe4J9ZkUCxf8X8
    Last edited by crixus; 06-15-2020, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Ah- the rugby shirt. I remember them being extremely popular for casual wear in the mid to late 1970s. I had maroon/gold, blue/green, orange/white & green/gold short sleeved ones, and a red/gray long sleeved,

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    On a positive note, Super Rugby is being played in New Zealand and it's in front of live crowds. I just watched my favorite team the Highlanders beat the Chiefs 28-27 on ESPN+. It was great to see a live sporting event being played with real people in the stands again. Rugby is an awesome sport, it's the Father of American football. And you can stream games all summer on ESPN+ for just five bucks a month.
    It's rumored that rugby had an early influence on ice hockey as well, although that appears to be more of an urban legend than anything concrete.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    On a positive note, Super Rugby is being played in New Zealand and it's in front of live crowds. I just watched my favorite team the Highlanders beat the Chiefs 28-27 on ESPN+. It was great to see a live sporting event being played with real people in the stands again. Rugby is an awesome sport, it's the Father of American football. And you can stream games all summer on ESPN+ for just five bucks a month.
    Last edited by crixus; 06-13-2020, 03:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
    Brown has re-instated men's track and XC after a public pressure campaign led by Princeton alum Russell Dinkins

https://brownbears.com/news/2020/6/9...try-teams.aspx
    Laker already noted it, three posts before your's. As a former track and XC guy myself (but not at Brown), I'm glad they've been reinstated.

Leave a comment:

• Mk63NuclearBomb
    replied
    Brown has re-instated men's track and XC after a public pressure campaign led by Princeton alum Russell Dinkins

https://brownbears.com/news/2020/6/9...try-teams.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    Updated list:

Appalachian State has announced today that they are dropping men's soccer, men's tennis and men's indoor track & field.

The full list of Division I sport cancellations is as follows:

Akron
    Men's Cross Country
    Men's Golf
    Women's Tennis

Alabama-Huntsville
    Men's Ice Hockey (canceled then reinstated)

Appalachian State
    Men's Soccer
    Men's Tennis
    Men's Indoor Track & Field

Bowling Green
    Baseball (canceled then reinstated)

Brown
    Men's Cross Country
    Men's Fencing
    Men's Golf
    Men's Outdoor Track & Field
    Men's Squash
    Women's Equestrian
    Women's Fencing
    Women's Golf
    Women's Skiing
    Women's Squash

Central Michigan

Cincinnati
    Men's Soccer

East Carolina
    Men's Swimming & Diving
    Men's Tennis
    Women's Swimming & Diving
    Women's Tennis

Florida International

Furman
    Baseball
    Men's Lacrosse

Old Dominion
    Wrestling

Wisconsin-Green Bay
    Men's Tennis
    Women's Tennis

Wright State
    Men's Tennis
    Women's Tennis
    Softball

Big East Conference
    - will use divisions for fall sports in 2020 to limit travel. Men's soccer, women's soccer and volleyball teams will only play games within their division. (East Division: UConn, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova | West Division: Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, Xavier). Volleyball teams will play everyone within their division four times, soccer teams will play everyone twice. There will be no cross-division games.

Mid-American Conference
    - eliminated postseason league tournaments for baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis, women's lacrosse, field hockey
    - altered tournament formats for men's basketball, women's basketball, volleyball, swimming, golf and track & field

========================

Division II eliminations:

Alabama-Huntsville

Men's Tennis
    Women's Tennis

Fayetteville State
    Women's Tennis

Florida Tech
    Football

Notre Dame de Namur
    Men's Basketball
    Men's Cross Country
    Men's Golf
    Men's Lacrosse
    Men's Soccer
    Women's Basketball
    Women's Cross Country
    Women's Outdoor Track & Field
    Women's Soccer
    Softball
    Women's Volleyball

Rollins
    Men's Cross Country
    Women's Cross Country

Sonoma State
    Men's Tennis
    Women's Tennis
    Women's Water Polo

St. Edward's
    Men's Golf
    Men's Soccer
    Men's Tennis
    Women's Cheer
    Women's Golf
    Women's Tennis

Tiffin
    Men's Swimming & Diving

Urbana
    Baseball
    Men's Basketball
    Men's Cross Country
    Football
    Men's Golf
    Men's Soccer
    Men's Swimming & Diving
    Men's Volleyball
    Wrestling
    Women's Acrobatics & Tumbling
    Women's Basketball
    Women's Cross Country
    Women's Golf
    Women's Lacrosse
    Women's Soccer
    Softball
    Women's Volleyball
    Women's Water Polo

Division II
    - reduced sport maximums and reduced minimum games played by 33% for 2020-21

California Collegiate Athletic Association
    - canceled all fall sports competitions

================================

Schools Closing Permanently (some announced pre-COVID)

Division II
    - Concordia University (OR)
    - Notre Dame de Namur (CA) (closing in 2020-21, athletics discontinued immediately)
    - Urbana (OH)

Division III
    MacMurray College (IL)
    Pine Manor College (MA) (bought by Boston College)

NAIA
    - Holy Family College (WI)
    - Lindenwood University-Belleville (IL)

NJCAA
    - Mercyhurst North East (PA)

NCCAA
    - Nebraska Christian College
    Thank you for this list! I know Concordia was announced in early February and it was talked about at the time in the GNAC forums.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Hampton drops men's & women's golf.

https://hamptonpirates.com/news/2020...-programs.aspx

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Brown has reversed their decision on dropping track and cross country.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sp...varsity-status

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Wonderful list, WSC. You're on top of it better than I could be!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X