X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post

How about the Cleveland Rockers? R&R Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.
    Maybe they should pick a name like the Buttercups or the Rosebuds. These are nice, non-threatening, non-offensive names. Nobody is offended by flowers, right?

[/QUOTE]

The name just didn't make any sense.

Why would a team from Cleveland name themselves after the people of a country in Asia that they have no connection too? Even more bizarre was the hammed up Native American mascot they gave them. I never understood it.

Kinda be like if I started a hockey team called the "Colorado Russians" but gave them a cartoonish, stereotyped Japanese mascot. I wouldn't make much money doing that - it doesn't make any sense.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by crixus View Post
    First the Redskins name change and now this one. A couple of good things that happened in this mostly crappy year.

It's about time.

That was a stupid name no matter how you look at it.

Leave a comment:

• WayneStatesman
    replied

How about the Cleveland Rockers? R&R Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they should pick a name like the Buttercups or the Rosebuds. These are nice, non-threatening, non-offensive names. Nobody is offended by flowers, right?

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by catatonic View Post

Tarleton did manage to play a payday game against Texas A&M. The Texans led at the half and almost pulled off the upset before fading late in the game.
    Looks like the Iowa/Gonzaga game is still on. It is next Saturday and would be 15 days from when the quarantine began for Gonzaga.

I guess the good news is the vaccine was approved so hopefully we will now start seeing less cancelations.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Arizona @ Cal cancelled.

https://247sports.com/Article/Califo...red-156860678/

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    First the Redskins name change and now this one. A couple of good things that happened in this mostly crappy year.

Last edited by crixus; 12-13-2020, 09:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Cleveland Indians are dropping their nickname.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/s...?smid=tw-share

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    Stanford latest school to announce it will not play in a bowl game this season. Somewhere there is a list of schools who have already made this announcement- like BC. My guess is that list will grow, along with the bowl games that will be called off.
    I think there's been 12 bowl games cancelled so far. It might be even more than that. Stanford has a large endowment and BC has Roman Catholic church support, so they're not strapped for money like some programs are this year. They'll be other teams that will jump to fill those two bowl bids and I say good for them if they can pull it off safely. There's a lot of Seniors who would love to go out with a bowl game.

Last edited by crixus; 12-13-2020, 04:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Stanford latest school to announce it will not play in a bowl game this season. Somewhere there is a list of schools who have already made this announcement- like BC. My guess is that list will grow, along with the bowl games that will be called off.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    I'm not sure how to feel for Tarleton State in their transition to D1 (if not done yet). They were to play both Gonzaga and Baylor (#1 and #2 respectively) for money games, but now both are canceled with Baylor and Gonzaga both having pauses.
    Tarleton did manage to play a payday game against Texas A&M. The Texans led at the half and almost pulled off the upset before fading late in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    I'm not sure how to feel for Tarleton State in their transition to D1 (if not done yet). They were to play both Gonzaga and Baylor (#1 and #2 respectively) for money games, but now both are canceled with Baylor and Gonzaga both having pauses.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Big 12 bad news - Oklahoma @ West Virginia and Texas @ Kansas, both games scheduled for today have been cancelled due to Covid-19 concerns.
    Last edited by crixus; 12-12-2020, 02:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    The Alaska Nanooks have called off their season. UAA had earlier and the program has been discontinued. They will have no conference affiliation next year.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...own-Season.php
    That's a real bummer. I was just thinking about the Nanooks yesterday. I visited that campus when I was in Fairbanks a few years ago. I was hoping to see the Nanooks play hockey but they were on the road. So I saw the Ice Dogs (NAHL) team there play instead.
    Last edited by crixus; 12-13-2020, 01:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    The Alaska Nanooks have called off their season. UAA had earlier and the program has been discontinued. They will have no conference affiliation next year.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...own-Season.php

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by crixus View Post
    LSU self-imposed a one year bowl ban. They're currently 3-5, but have bowl game flexibility during the Covid-19 pandemic.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...an-2020-season
    Ed is scoring more off the field than his team is on it. Wins title, divorces wife of 23 years, trades her in for a newer model.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X