Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbonium
    replied
    Your regular season games are already scheduled and not a reward for a lackluster season. To send a .500 team to a bowl game as a reward just seems to take away from the point, why not a toilet bowl for the 2 worst teams too? Imagine the swag they could hand out to players for that, Drano could be the sponsor, I think we're onto something here.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Why a football fan would object to more football escapes me.

Apparently Turbonium is not....

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy2m
    The Sun Bowl has been canceled this year, sources told
    @Stadium
    . Tied as 2nd-longest running bowl game behind only the Rose Bowl, the Sun Bowl had been played 86 consecutive seasons since 1935. It is 4th Pac-12 bowl canceled this year & 3rd with an ACC tie-in

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Then screw keeping score, just let everyone play as many games as they want and hand out participation trophies to everyone. Lose in the playoffs? Don't worry, you can try again next week!

Play good football and get rewarded with a bowl game or playoff berth. Go 6-6 and get back to the weight room and practice field and try again next year.

Leave a comment:

• Mk63NuclearBomb
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    Gophers-Northwestern game has been cancelled.

Looks like Northwestern will be the western BIG playoff team unless some highly unlikely things happen.

On a sad note, the Indiana QB is out for the season with the same knee injury that he had earlier in his career.
    looking like OSU's big 10 championship chances are shrinking by the minute, both UM and MSU are dealing with covid outbreaks (either of those games getting cancelled disqualifies the buckeyes from championship contention)

Leave a comment:

• Turbonium
    replied
    Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Then screw keeping score, just let everyone play as many games as they want and hand out participation trophies to everyone. Lose in the playoffs? Don't worry, you can try again next week!

Play good football and get rewarded with a bowl game or playoff berth. Go 6-6 and get back to the weight room and practice field and try again next year.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Gophers-Northwestern game has been cancelled.

Looks like Northwestern will be the western BIG playoff team unless some highly unlikely things happen.

On a sad note, the Indiana QB is out for the season with the same knee injury that he had earlier in his career.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

I don't disagree, I've made the unpopular statement that D2 bowl games are a waste as only those who did not do enough to make the playoffs are invited. Of course saying such a thing causes feelings to be hurt.
    IMO, based on the Mineral Water Bowl's selection criteria - I think the "point" of the game is to reward up-and-coming and/or fringe/bubble teams with postseason experience without impacting the bracket. I think that experience can be very valuable. It's definitely not perfect, though.

That being said, I don't want to see D2 Bowl Games expand to the point where sub-.500 teams are given a chance to play. It's fine where it is. Also, I'd rather it be done this way than expanding the bracket to let those teams in. It increases the injury risk for the better teams and would cheapen the bracket, IMO.

Just putting my opinion out there for the sake of discussion - not meant to be anything more than that.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied

I don't disagree, I've made the unpopular statement that D2 bowl games are a waste as only those who did not do enough to make the playoffs are invited. Of course saying such a thing causes feelings to be hurt.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

If your team isn't in the bracket, except in very unusual cases, you shouldn't be playing November football. Other than video filler there is no reason to watch games between 7-4/6-5 teams as if the are worthy of being there. I'm actually happy that a number of potential 1st round picks are taking a pass on these trash games to avoid possible PRE-COMBINE injuries. If I'm a parent or agent totally support that choice.

Leave a comment:

• Turbonium
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

IMO this is why D2 and FCS FB have much more to offer than FBS. '19 D2 bracket featured 28 teams including 9-undefeated, 10-one loss and seven-two loss teams. The ARGOS of UWF won their final three games by an average of 6 points while eliminating three undefeateds. That is the exact opposite of watered down and why it deserves much more attention than it gets. So looking forward, fingers crossed, to the '21 season.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

I have traveled with Air Force to the Oahu Bowl and other bowl games they've been invited to and seen and been treated to the perks associated with them, just think those perks should be earned rather than given out to teams that might barely be better than .500

Certainly glad for the teams that get that experience it just has gotten so watered down.
    IMO this is why D2 and FCS FB have much more to offer than FBS. '19 D2 bracket featured 28 teams including 9-undefeated, 10-one loss and seven-two loss teams. The ARGOS of UWF won their final three games by an average of 6 points while eliminating three undefeateds. That is the exact opposite of watered down and why it deserves much more attention than it gets. So looking forward, fingers crossed, to the '21 season.

Leave a comment:

• Turbonium
    replied
    Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I get that perspective, but D1 bowl games offer a few more legit perks. First, both teams get to practice more and even play that one extra game. Then, there actually are some fun times at the host site. I've crossed paths with a few of the participants of Detroit's Quick Lane Change bowl. Every one of them loved the experience. And as even one more bonus, the players get some goodies. So, if the sponsors are willing to dole out the bucks, I'm ok with letting the games go on.
    I have traveled with Air Force to the Oahu Bowl and other bowl games they've been invited to and seen and been treated to the perks associated with them, just think those perks should be earned rather than given out to teams that might barely be better than .500

Certainly glad for the teams that get that experience it just has gotten so watered down.

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied

Hopefully several bowl games are canceled permanently. There are way too many.
    Add on this year that there won't be enough teams qualified with conferences not playing this fall or in the case of the B1G, Pac-12, and MWC starting way late so getting to 6 wins is incredibly hard before any scheduled Bowl Game. If the Bowl doesn't have enough money to move it back waiting on those conferences or it will interfere with another scheduled event, canceling makes the best sense.

Leave a comment:

• Redwing
    replied

It's like a bowl game in D2 even though there is already a playoff system for teams deserving. Might as well just send everyone to a bowl game at this point. No one knows how to lose anymore it seems and mediocrity is rewarded.
    I get that perspective, but D1 bowl games offer a few more legit perks. First, both teams get to practice more and even play that one extra game. Then, there actually are some fun times at the host site. I've crossed paths with a few of the participants of Detroit's Quick Lane Change bowl. Every one of them loved the experience. And as even one more bonus, the players get some goodies. So, if the sponsors are willing to dole out the bucks, I'm ok with letting the games go on.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X