Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since the Nebraska-Wisconsin game was cancelled, the Huskers are looking to add UT-Chattanooga for Saturday. The BIG has not allowed any non-conference games, but if they don't let them do this things will get nuclear in Lincoln.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
      Since the Nebraska-Wisconsin game was cancelled, the Huskers are looking to add UT-Chattanooga for Saturday. The BIG has not allowed any non-conference games, but if they don't let them do this things will get nuclear in Lincoln.
      Super spreaders gotta spread! GBR

Comment

• Reports are that the BIG is being small by denying the Huskers a game.

Before I thought they were being paranoid. Now I believe that Warren is the worst commissioner in sports. UTC's team was tested and found to be negative. Wisconsin was the team with the outbreak, not Nebraska. Gophers played without a kicking game last week and got their butts kicked by Michigan. I see no reason, other than pettiness, to punish the Huskers.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
          Reports are that the BIG is being small by denying the Huskers a game.

Before I thought they were being paranoid. Now I believe that Warren is the worst commissioner in sports. UTC's team was tested and found to be negative. Wisconsin was the team with the outbreak, not Nebraska. Gophers played without a kicking game last week and got their butts kicked by Michigan. I see no reason, other than pettiness, to punish the Huskers.
          This should further cement Nebraska seeking to return to the Big 12 ASAP and possibly persuade Colorado to return home as well. Neither have done squat in BB or Football in their new conferences nor have they built rivalry games like they had in the Big 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I think many FCS schools will look to shed cost and either drop football or move down to the FCS level. Many FCS programs will face the decision do we keep football just to receive a shot at the NCAA BB tournament and the money/exposure the years we make the big dance as a #14, 15, 16 seed.
            I know that's the rationale for many schools, but does the tournament really pay that much to justify having an entire AD at the D1 level? Just for a one-and-done appearance? It's a question I've always wanted to ask.

I can see the reasoning for schools with a legitimate chance to make those one-and-done appearances routinely, even every few years - but it never made sense to me upend an entire athletic department in the hopes that you earn a 16 seed.

There are plenty of anecdotal examples of this working out - UMBC, Chicago-Loyola, FGCU - etc, but I feel like the odds are astronomical. Might as well try to make money playing the lottery - at least that's less expensive.

There are so many D1 basketball programs that I feel would struggle in the top conferences in D2 - so it just doesn't make much sense to me why they are fighting for a chance to lose a first round match one time.

Comment

This should further cement Nebraska seeking to return to the Big 12 ASAP and possibly persuade Colorado to return home as well. Neither have done squat in BB or Football in their new conferences nor have they built rivalry games like they had in the Big 12.
              I don't think either league would miss those schools. Does it cost a lot of money to leave a league or can it be an "irreconcilable differences" divorce?

Comment

Iowa could become a rivalry game given time, but I agree it has nothing on Oklahoma and Colorado, when they had a decent program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Fortunately one saw that recently and did move down. Idaho moved down to FCS and the Big Sky before the pandemic. I agree that more should follow that example.
                  I'm glad to see that they realized their position. IMO, the division structure of the NCAA is intended to help schools fit in where they fit in best. Administrations are so infatuated with the label of "Division I" that they rarely stop and think about what they are gaining vs. what they will lose by moving up, or even by staying.

I think fans and athletes are just as much to blame too. I know folks who simply refuse to follow the NSIC because it's not D1. Talented athletes would rather ride the bench at LSU for 4 years than start for West Florida for 4 years. People have gotten drunk off of a distorted image of what D1 actually is.

There is no shame in being NAIA, DIII, DII, or even FCS if it's what "fits" you best. Many schools find ways to carve out a brand and a niche and run with it.

And just because a school is successful at D2 does not mean they have any hope of being successful or even relatively competitive at D1.

Comment

• Unidentified New York Giants player tests positive, several of his teammates sent home.

https://www.pix11.com/sports/unident...e-for-covid-19

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

I don't think either league would miss those schools. Does it cost a lot of money to leave a league or can it be an "irreconcilable differences" divorce?
                      Being a West Virginia fan I follow the Big 12 closely and I don't think that conference wants Nebraska and Colorado back. The round robin play with ten teams has been a success. The Big 12's biggest concern was getting a conference championship game. The NCAA approved it and they're playing it now. And from what I've read from Commissioner Bowlsby the conference is in good shape and the ten programs involved are happy with the way things are now.
                      Last edited by crixus; 10-29-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I'm glad to see that they realized their position. IMO, the division structure of the NCAA is intended to help schools fit in where they fit in best. Administrations are so infatuated with the label of "Division I" that they rarely stop and think about what they are gaining vs. what they will lose by moving up, or even by staying.

I think fans and athletes are just as much to blame too. I know folks who simply refuse to follow the NSIC because it's not D1. Talented athletes would rather ride the bench at LSU for 4 years than start for West Florida for 4 years. People have gotten drunk off of a distorted image of what D1 actually is.

There is no shame in being NAIA, DIII, DII, or even FCS if it's what "fits" you best. Many schools find ways to carve out a brand and a niche and run with it.

And just because a school is successful at D2 does not mean they have any hope of being successful or even relatively competitive at D1.
                        Especially since the last non powerhouse school to win the "NC" was BYU in '84 and before that was SYRACUSE in '59. D1 FB is amazingly predicable.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Especially since the last non powerhouse school to win the "NC" was BYU in '84 and before that was SYRACUSE in '59. D1 FB is amazingly predicable.
                          And both of those teams are quite sizable in their own right. Once the University of Akron wins the championship... then I'll change my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

Being a West Virginia fan I follow the Big 12 closely and I don't think that conference wants Nebraska and Colorado back. The round robin play with ten teams has been a success. The Big 12's biggest concern was getting a conference championship game. The NCAA approved it and they're playing it now. And from what I've read from Commissioner Bowlsby the conference is in good shape and the ten programs involved are happy with the way things are now.
                            Also would Colorado consider leaving the Pac-12? Nebraska I can understand especially with what is happening now, but what would cause Colorado to leave?

Comment

• Clemson's all everything QB tests positive for Covid-19, won't play this weekend.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ollege-clemson

Comment

At least it gives us a reason to play our favorite past time-- speculating who replaces Nebraska in the B1G.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X