Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I don't disagree, I've made the unpopular statement that D2 bowl games are a waste as only those who did not do enough to make the playoffs are invited. Of course saying such a thing causes feelings to be hurt.
    Why a football fan would object to more football escapes me.

Comment

I don't disagree, I've made the unpopular statement that D2 bowl games are a waste as only those who did not do enough to make the playoffs are invited. Of course saying such a thing causes feelings to be hurt.
      IMO, based on the Mineral Water Bowl's selection criteria - I think the "point" of the game is to reward up-and-coming and/or fringe/bubble teams with postseason experience without impacting the bracket. I think that experience can be very valuable. It's definitely not perfect, though.

That being said, I don't want to see D2 Bowl Games expand to the point where sub-.500 teams are given a chance to play. It's fine where it is. Also, I'd rather it be done this way than expanding the bracket to let those teams in. It increases the injury risk for the better teams and would cheapen the bracket, IMO.

Just putting my opinion out there for the sake of discussion - not meant to be anything more than that.

Comment

• Gophers-Northwestern game has been cancelled.

Looks like Northwestern will be the western BIG playoff team unless some highly unlikely things happen.

On a sad note, the Indiana QB is out for the season with the same knee injury that he had earlier in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Then screw keeping score, just let everyone play as many games as they want and hand out participation trophies to everyone. Lose in the playoffs? Don't worry, you can try again next week!

Play good football and get rewarded with a bowl game or playoff berth. Go 6-6 and get back to the weight room and practice field and try again next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
            Gophers-Northwestern game has been cancelled.

Looks like Northwestern will be the western BIG playoff team unless some highly unlikely things happen.

On a sad note, the Indiana QB is out for the season with the same knee injury that he had earlier in his career.
            looking like OSU's big 10 championship chances are shrinking by the minute, both UM and MSU are dealing with covid outbreaks (either of those games getting cancelled disqualifies the buckeyes from championship contention)

Comment

Then screw keeping score, just let everyone play as many games as they want and hand out participation trophies to everyone. Lose in the playoffs? Don't worry, you can try again next week!

Play good football and get rewarded with a bowl game or playoff berth. Go 6-6 and get back to the weight room and practice field and try again next year.

Comment

• Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy2m
                The Sun Bowl has been canceled this year, sources told
                @Stadium
                . Tied as 2nd-longest running bowl game behind only the Rose Bowl, the Sun Bowl had been played 86 consecutive seasons since 1935. It is 4th Pac-12 bowl canceled this year & 3rd with an ACC tie-in

Comment

• Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Apparently Turbonium is not....

Comment

• Your regular season games are already scheduled and not a reward for a lackluster season. To send a .500 team to a bowl game as a reward just seems to take away from the point, why not a toilet bowl for the 2 worst teams too? Imagine the swag they could hand out to players for that, Drano could be the sponsor, I think we're onto something here.

Comment

• Now that the Sun Bowl won't be played, I think that the Bowl count is down to 34. I remember when there were about ten bowl games.

Comment

Now that the Sun Bowl won't be played, I think that the Bowl count is down to 34. I remember when there were about ten bowl games.
                        The Water Boy movie wasn't too far off when it had The Toilet Bowl.

Comment

Your regular season games are already scheduled and not a reward for a lackluster season. To send a .500 team to a bowl game as a reward just seems to take away from the point, why not a toilet bowl for the 2 worst teams too? Imagine the swag they could hand out to players for that, Drano could be the sponsor, I think we're onto something here.

Comment

• can

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                              can
                              USF had at least one year when they only lost one game (to MSU) and didn't make the playoffs if I remember right. One year they lost to Winona and MSU and missed out. Back when there were 6 teams making the regions there were some really good teams getting left out. And yes, had they been in another region they would have been in.

Comment

Now that the Sun Bowl won't be played, I think that the Bowl count is down to 34. I remember when there were about ten bowl games.
                                I miss the days when a bowl game was a reward for a winning season, not for playing .500 or even less in some instances. ESPN owns most of the bowl games now and it's all a big money grab.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X