Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by laker View Post
    Azusa Pacific is permanently dropping football. What will happen to the GNAC?

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...tball-program/
    I was hoping Humboldt State would bring football back, but that looks even more doubtful now since AP and them were both GNAC teams.

Comment

• Vanderbilt vs Georgia regular season finale has been cancelled.

https://247sports.com/Article/Vander...SEC-156907264/

Comment

• Michigan vs Iowa is another football game that's been cancelled due to Covid-19 cases.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/1...covid-19-cases

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

I know you're joking about Cleveland, but good for Moravian. The University level means more advanced degrees. I was happy when AB college became a U.
          I was being sarcastic the whole way through. Folks are upset about things changing names, so I found something changing names that most folks would celebrate.

Dropping "college" and adding "university" is a big deal for most schools. Augustana did it a few years ago. Actually a smart branding move as the original (and arguably more well known) Augustana still brands itself as a college.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
            Azusa Pacific is permanently dropping football. What will happen to the GNAC?

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...tball-program/
            This makes me kind of sad, but it was also inevitable IMO.

Like Humboldt, they were fairly competitive. California would be such a rich state for D2 football if they could just get their act together, which I know is asking a bit too much at this point...

Comment

• You guys have gone through a whole lot of dominoes this season! Happy Holidays one and all!

Comment

I was hoping Humboldt State would bring football back, but that looks even more doubtful now since AP and them were both GNAC teams.
                Covid is the excuse; the reality is arrogant, 6-figure administrators who don't care about others and who will keep their jobs no matter what happens. They could cut any program or department on campus and they are not held accountable. They'll get heat for a month and everyone will move on. At everything below FBS, administrators can pretty much do what they want and skate by. There's no accountability and certainly at the D2 level, there's no media, alum, or booster pressure.

Administrators release the "sad" press release, how it is with heavy hearts that the do this ... by 9 p.m. they're clinking glasses and laughing it up.

Vile people. At APU, they'll play the religious card and use that to excuse their actions. Sorry if I'm being mean; I'm being realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                  You guys have gone through a whole lot of dominoes this season! Happy Holidays one and all!
                  We have eight D3 college football teams in southern California, all within 130 miles of each other. I wish they'd all move up to D2, but I know that won't happen.

https://www.thesciac.org/landing/index
                  Last edited by crixus; 12-17-2020, 04:52 AM.

Comment

We have eight D3 college football teams in southern California, all within 130 miles of each other. I wish they'd all move up to D2, but I know that won't happen.

https://www.thesciac.org/landing/index
                    If I remember correctly, Minnesota has more CFB teams (above JUCO) than California does. I can't remember if I counted NAIA or just NCAA - but either way, that's pretty interesting I think.

It makes me wonder why UC/CSU isn't interested in adding more programs. Recruiting would be a breeze, they could have an in-state conference (or two), and they could just use local JUCO stadiums instead of building their own. Is it strictly money? University politics? Lack of alumni support? All of the above?

I'd have to imagine that some of the schools would probably draw some kind of a crowd too, especially if they are far away enough from the "Big 5" (Cal/Stanford, USC/UCLA, Fresno).

Anyway - D3 football programs can be money printers for some schools. They are very lucrative if set up and sold right, even if the school isn't very competitive (though that probably corrects itself to some degree down the line). I'm sure in the case of CA, there'd have to be a mass exodus upward move from multiple schools in order for it to work - that type of coordination is a pipe dream.

Comment

• Out of curiosity, here's the breakdown of the two states according to Wikipedia - ranked by their dominant affiliation.

CA (Football):

FBS - 7
                      FCS - 4
                      D2 - 0
                      D3 - 8
                      NAIA - 0
                      NCCAA - 0
                      Total: 19

CA (Total):

D1 - 26
                      D2 - 20
                      D3 - 11
                      NAIA - 19
                      NCCAA - 2
                      Total: 78

MN (Football):

FBS - 1
                      FCS - 0*
                      D2 - 7
                      D3 - 15
                      NAIA - 0
                      NCCAA - 0
                      Total: 24

MN (Total):

D1 - 1*
                      D2 - 9
                      D3 - 19**
                      NAIA - 0
                      NCCAA - 0
                      ACCA - 2
                      Total: 31

*Counting St. Thomas as D3
                      **Counting St. John's/St. Ben's as one athletic program

CA Population: 39.51 m
                      MN Population: 5.64 m
                      Last edited by SW_Mustang; 12-18-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• I know this thread is mainly bad news about cancelations of sporting events, but how about the opposite for a change? On Boxing Day (December 26th) Virginia and Gonzaga are now set to play in Fort Worth, Texas after both programs lost 4 games to their programs pausing. We may start seeing other good match ups like this for other top teams that have had to pause like #2 Baylor.

Comment

• Aloha Stadium to close indefinitely - leaving UH without a stadium in 2021 and 2022.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...enance-issues/

They should do what SMSU does and keep a spare football stadium on hand - just in case.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Out of curiosity, here's the breakdown of the two states according to Wikipedia - ranked by their dominant affiliation.

CA (Football):

FBS - 7
                            FCS - 2
                            D2 - 0
                            D3 - 8
                            NAIA - 0
                            NCCAA - 0
                            Total: 17

CA (Total):

D1 - 26
                            D2 - 20
                            D3 - 11
                            NAIA - 19
                            NCCAA - 2
                            Total: 78

MN (Football):

FBS - 1
                            FCS - 0*
                            D2 - 7
                            D3 - 15
                            NAIA - 0
                            NCCAA - 0
                            Total: 24

MN (Total):

D1 - 1*
                            D2 - 22
                            D3 - 19**
                            NAIA - 0
                            NCCAA - 0
                            ACCA - 2
                            Total: 44

*Counting St. Thomas as D3
                            **Counting St. John's/St. Ben's as one athletic program

CA Population: 39.51 m
                            MN Population: 5.64 m
                            California has 3 FCS football teams - Sacramento State, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and UC Davis. All of them play in the Big Sky Conference. Somebody needs to update the Wikipedia page where you got that information from.
                            Last edited by crixus; 12-17-2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• UCLA and Stanford have turned down bowl bids before they were offered. I understand the decision, but I feel bad for the Seniors.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...all-bowl-games

Comment

• The Maryland vs Michigan State football game set for this weekend. has been canceled...again.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ek/3944440001/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X