Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laker View Post

Too much duplication of effort. I think in Wisconsin those D3 schools in the UW system tend to specialize. With distance learning some of those places will get shut down.
    I didn't know this until today - but UW was running a bunch of two year colleges. It looks like they only awarded AA degrees, but they were fully autonomous campuses with their own administrations and everything. I think the goal was for them to reach rural and non-traditional students. The tuition was significantly cheaper too. It's a very interesting philosophy - the schools were independent of the universities, but served solely as a feeder system for them as well. I thought it was kind of neat.

The reason they all made the list was because UW scrapped that idea and turned them all into satellite campuses for the universities. The University of Wisconsin-Waukesha became the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Waukesha. Big difference.

The U of M also had a two-year college once, University of Minnesota-Waseca. It only lasted for about 20 years before it fell victim to the bureaucracy. Seems like the townsfolk were not happy that it closed - even worse, the campus is now a prison. It would be cool if the U could snag one of the abundant Minnesota State colleges and run it - I'd totally sign up for classes just to say I went to the U!

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I didn't know this until today - but UW was running a bunch of two year colleges. It looks like they only awarded AA degrees, but they were fully autonomous campuses with their own administrations and everything. I think the goal was for them to reach rural and non-traditional students. The tuition was significantly cheaper too. It's a very interesting philosophy - the schools were independent of the universities, but served solely as a feeder system for them as well. I thought it was kind of neat.

The reason they all made the list was because UW scrapped that idea and turned them all into satellite campuses for the universities. The University of Wisconsin-Waukesha became the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Waukesha. Big difference.

The U of M also had a two-year college once, University of Minnesota-Waseca. It only lasted for about 20 years before it fell victim to the bureaucracy. Seems like the townsfolk were not happy that it closed - even worse, the campus is now a prison. It would be cool if the U could snag one of the abundant Minnesota State colleges and run it - I'd totally sign up for classes just to say I went to the U!
      Waseca ran from the fall of 1971 to 1992. The Rams were maroon and gold (big surprise). If I remember right their football coach was named Don Collins (?) who invited me to play football there. A friend of mine from Hector went there and was named captain. I played against him when they came up to Willmar. I know that they went winless and we only lost to Rochester. They had an ag school- my best friend graduated from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...nnesota_Waseca

Crookston was a two year school too. They were the Trojans but changed when they went four year in 1993. I remember seeing a kid from Buffalo Lake wear a UMC jacket to church- he played QB up there.

Comment

Waseca ran from the fall of 1971 to 1992. The Rams were maroon and gold (big surprise). If I remember right their football coach was named Don Collins (?) who invited me to play football there. A friend of mine from Hector went there and was named captain. I played against him when they came up to Willmar. I know that they went winless and we only lost to Rochester. They had an ag school- my best friend graduated from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...nnesota_Waseca

Crookston was a two year school too. They were the Trojans but changed when they went four year in 1993. I remember seeing a kid from Buffalo Lake wear a UMC jacket to church- he played QB up there.
        I didn't know that about Crookston. It's probably the school I know the least about.

I found an article from 1991 about UMW - the townsfolk were not happy when they left because it gave them a sense of community pride, and a higher % of the population who was educated.

Comment

I didn't know that about Crookston. It's probably the school I know the least about.

I found an article from 1991 about UMW - the townsfolk were not happy when they left because it gave them a sense of community pride, and a higher % of the population who was educated.
          It was a good school- there had been an ag high school there (and at Crookston) so a junior college was a good step up. But think of the location between Mankato and Rochester and it really wasn't needed there, especially with a poorly located IMO ag school in St Paul (should have been outstate). So yes, they turned it into a prison. UMC never should have been turned into a four year school but some ag bigwig in Washington pushed for it. Well, Grand Forks is what, 20 miles away with reciprocity. You have Moorhead with NDSU across the river, and Bemidji in the other direction. Plus some other two year schools. Overreach.

Comment

Comment

It was a good school- there had been an ag high school there (and at Crookston) so a junior college was a good step up. But think of the location between Mankato and Rochester and it really wasn't needed there, especially with a poorly located IMO ag school in St Paul (should have been outstate). So yes, they turned it into a prison. UMC never should have been turned into a four year school but some ag bigwig in Washington pushed for it. Well, Grand Forks is what, 20 miles away with reciprocity. You have Moorhead with NDSU across the river, and Bemidji in the other direction. Plus some other two year schools. Overreach.
              Rochester is weird. Depending on how it's counted - they have six campuses. It's more like a conglomerate of bits and pieces of other schools. Combined, they don't offer very much to the traditional student. Obviously, there are a lot of reasons for that - but it still strikes me as weird. Every campus in Rochester and Mankato combined offer less ag education than SMSU does, so I think a dedicated two-year ag school in Waseca would have been fine.

I agree on Crookston. If I had a say - UMC and UMM would combine into one school in Morris. The former UMC campus would either be used as an agriculture research facility, or at the very most a two-year agriculture senior college, or some combination of the two. Crookston is too small of a city to support a traditional public university, especially given the distance to Bemidji and F-M. They are wasting their resources offering English and Accounting degrees when they should be specializing in Ag. It sounds crazy - but UMR only offers health degrees, so I think a special-focus institution would work. They could also sign articulation agreements with Minnesota State community colleges for the liberal arts component. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this would mean Crookston would lose it's athletic department as well.

I was told once that Glencoe (if I am correct) was once considered for the agriculture school. Now, I'm not sure if that's true - and I also don't know if they were referring to the University of Minnesota, or Minnesota A&M, but that's what I was told. The U runs a research facility in Lamberton though.

Comment

Rochester is weird. Depending on how it's counted - they have six campuses. It's more like a conglomerate of bits and pieces of other schools. Combined, they don't offer very much to the traditional student. Obviously, there are a lot of reasons for that - but it still strikes me as weird. Every campus in Rochester and Mankato combined offer less ag education than SMSU does, so I think a dedicated two-year ag school in Waseca would have been fine.

I agree on Crookston. If I had a say - UMC and UMM would combine into one school in Morris. The former UMC campus would either be used as an agriculture research facility, or at the very most a two-year agriculture senior college, or some combination of the two. Crookston is too small of a city to support a traditional public university, especially given the distance to Bemidji and F-M. They are wasting their resources offering English and Accounting degrees when they should be specializing in Ag. It sounds crazy - but UMR only offers health degrees, so I think a special-focus institution would work. They could also sign articulation agreements with Minnesota State community colleges for the liberal arts component. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this would mean Crookston would lose it's athletic department as well.

I was told once that Glencoe (if I am correct) was once considered for the agriculture school. Now, I'm not sure if that's true - and I also don't know if they were referring to the University of Minnesota, or Minnesota A&M, but that's what I was told. The U runs a research facility in Lamberton though.
                When I was a junior the FFA regional soil judging contest was at the Lamberton station. We stopped at the Dairy Queen at Sanborn Corners (HWY 71 & 14) and had wild blackberry sundaes. Delicious. Anyway we qualified for state. The state contest was in Roseville. I couldn't figure out where the A layer ended and the B began, same with the B layer and the C layer. I just guessed. Our team was like second from the bottom. Turned out there was NO B layer! Odd place to have the contest, we didn't have any soil like that around us.

You were about Glencoe. With the formerly largest pea packing plant in the world there, along with corn packing, it would have been a good location.

1865- State legislature agreed that the land grant should be used for agriculture school in Glencoe, Minn.

Comment

Oh, and Morris also had an ag high school.

https://morris.umn.edu/about/unique-campus-history

Comment

Oh, and Morris also had an ag high school.

https://morris.umn.edu/about/unique-campus-history
                    We've actually studied the Morris campus in class before for it's historical significance, but I don't believe I was aware it had an ag school. That's kind of neat.

I've never been to UMC but I've always thought of them as similar schools. With BSU and MSUM servicing northern Minnesota (and UMD to some extent), it seems weird to shoehorn such a small school into that landscape. The U will do what it wants though.

Comment

Little League World Series cancelled for the first time.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...st-coronavirus

Comment

When I was a junior the FFA regional soil judging contest was at the Lamberton station. We stopped at the Dairy Queen at Sanborn Corners (HWY 71 & 14) and had wild blackberry sundaes. Delicious. Anyway we qualified for state. The state contest was in Roseville. I couldn't figure out where the A layer ended and the B began, same with the B layer and the C layer. I just guessed. Our team was like second from the bottom. Turned out there was NO B layer! Odd place to have the contest, we didn't have any soil like that around us.

You were about Glencoe. With the formerly largest pea packing plant in the world there, along with corn packing, it would have been a good location.

1865- State legislature agreed that the land grant should be used for agriculture school in Glencoe, Minn.
                        The people in SWMN are kinda weird, so it's no surprise the soil is weird too! Maybe one causes the other. ;)

That's interesting about Glencoe. I was told that on a trip through there once about it. Imagine the first intercollegiate basketball game being played against Hamline... but in Glencoe? That's fun to think about. I also know the U operates a poultry lab in Willmar. It's marked like any other campus building which I always thought was neat.

SMSU's Social Sciences building is slated for demolition in the next few years, officially speaking. My thought was proposing to the administration to allow the University of Minnesota to use it, either as a satellite campus or for continuing agriculture. I'm not sure how that well that would go over, but at least the building wouldn't get torn down. The City of Marshall has since moved into the space though, so who knows what's going to happen with it now.

Comment

Apparently, a new college opened up in Sioux Falls recently, the University of South Dakota - Community College for Sioux Falls.

I'd been aware of the University Center in Sioux Falls. Essentially, it was a conglomerate of satellite campuses from USD, SDSU, and DSU in Sioux Falls that offered both Bachelor's and Master's degrees. The foundation of UCSF began in 1992, and it went through a few transformations. In 2009, they opened their own permanent campus that is comprised of three buildings, including a research facility. Enrollment began to decline, and after consultations and meetings with community leaders, they decided to reorganize into USD-SF. They opened last year.

The UCSF partnership is still in effect - they will still offer 4-year and Graduate degrees on campus. However, now they can also offer 2-year degrees on campus as well as things like certificates and job training. Southeast Technical Institute was also brought into the partnership as well.

It remains to be seen if USD-SF will fix the issues UCSF has been having, but this could be interesting. Hopefully they can survive COVID and keep on going.

There are two other University Centers in South Dakota, one in Rapid City (BHSU/USD) and one in Pierre (all six public universities + LATC and MTI).

It should be noted that USD-SF is the only community college in South Dakota. All other 2-year schools are either technical schools or tribal colleges. Kilian Community College operated in Sioux Falls between 1977 and 2015, however it was a private institution.

Comment

I did soils judging in high school as well. Our state competition was in Tucson at the University of Arizona . I did quite well computing the number of parts of soluble salt in soils but did a dreadful job of determining sand/silt/clay composition based on feeling various samples. I dint recall our exact finish but somewhere in the bottom half.

Comment

Soils? I just hand dug a hole to set a new corner post in Mayberry, clay loam, a glacial till soil in Pawnee County, Nebraska. As an employee of the Natural Resources Conservation Service, I worked several Land Judging and Range Judging contests for high school Ag students in Southeast Nebraska. Soil Scientists are a peculiar breed!

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                                Soils? I just hand dug a hole to set a new corner post in Mayberry, clay loam, a glacial till soil in Pawnee County, Nebraska. As an employee of the Natural Resources Conservation Service, I worked several Land Judging and Range Judging contests for high school Ag students in Southeast Nebraska. Soil Scientists are a peculiar breed!
                                I judge people's lawns too.

That's probably why my neighbors don't invite me to their gatherings.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X