Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a positive note, here's a list of colleges that are planning to start football programs with three of them at the D2 level (Barton College and Erskine College in 2020 and Anderson University, South Carolina in 2024 - not to be confused with Anderson University, Indiana which is D3). The article doesn't have a date, so I'm guessing it's probably from before Covid 19 hit and that might change their plan$. Let's hope not.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/future.htm
    Last edited by crixus; 05-06-2020, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I visited the Southern New Hampshire University campus when I was in Manchester, NH several years ago. I went out on my morning run and crossed the bridge to go check it out. It's a very nice looking mostly brick and mortar campus. https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=close
      That's pretty nice actually, I don't think I'd ever seen their campus before.

This article is six years old, but it explains how they operate. From everything I've heard, they are a fully legitimate school - they just use the for-profit model for reaching students online, similar to what Purdue and Arizona State are doing. Actually, Purdue bought a for-profit school to use their infrastructure. Since SNHU got their foot in the door first, they are benefitting from it the most - albeit I'm sure more non-profit schools are following.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/snhu-...lege_n_4545871

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

There's only 4,000 or so students on campus, according to what I saw online, so there's a LOT of online students at SNHU.
        They advertise their online programs nationwide, if not worldwide.

Actually, when they began doing that - it annoyed the hell out of the alumni because the commercials made them seem like they were the University of Phoenix.

I think their goal is something like 300,000 students by 2024, although the administration admitted that's just a number they threw out to give their planning operations some direction. IMO, it's time for a football program, haha.

Comment

Minnesota's Legion baseball program, the largest in the nation, is not having a season. 366 teams last year, 357 signed up for this year. First time since 1926.

https://www.startribune.com/minnesot...son/570340881/

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That's pretty nice actually, I don't think I'd ever seen their campus before.

This article is six years old, but it explains how they operate. From everything I've heard, they are a fully legitimate school - they just use the for-profit model for reaching students online, similar to what Purdue and Arizona State are doing. Actually, Purdue bought a for-profit school to use their infrastructure. Since SNHU got their foot in the door first, they are benefitting from it the most - albeit I'm sure more non-profit schools are following.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/snhu-...lege_n_4545871
            University of Maryland has a large online program as well. It's called University of Maryland Global Campus. Most colleges and universities have at least some online courses and/or programs. Grand Canyon University is another big player in the online education field. They've had TV ads airing for more than a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              Minnesota's Legion baseball program, the largest in the nation, is not having a season. 366 teams last year, 357 signed up for this year. First time since 1926.

Meanwhile, the Korean Baseball Organization is playing games in empty stadiums with audio recordings of fan interaction. http://eng.koreabaseball.com/

Comment

University of Maryland has a large online program as well. It's called University of Maryland Global Campus. Most colleges and universities have at least some online courses and/or programs. Grand Canyon University is another big player in the online education field. They've had TV ads airing for more than a decade.
                Liberty is another player in the online market. 110,000 total enrollment, 15,000 are on campus, the rest are on line students,

Comment

And MLB draft only 5 rounds. I'm guessing due to no season to see possible breakout stars.

Comment

We do at SMSU too, but I think the difference is how schools are targeting students. We don't really shoot for a nationwide audience like Purdue or SNHU does.

GCU is interesting. They were a non-profit who sold to a for-profit, then re-gained non-profit status a couple years ago. I believe they are now a non-profit branch of a for-profit company. Confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

We do at SMSU too, but I think the difference is how schools are targeting students. We don't really shoot for a nationwide audience like Purdue or SNHU does.

GCU is interesting. They were a non-profit who sold to a for-profit, then re-gained non-profit status a couple years ago. I believe they are now a non-profit branch of a for-profit company. Confusing.
                      I'm still bitter at them. They were going to be in the GNAC, until they weren't. Schedules were even made with GCU on the schedule for all GNAC teams, but then they bailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

And MLB draft only 5 rounds. I'm guessing due to no season to see possible breakout stars.
                        MLB has been trying to reduce sub-MLB costs and this provides them an excuse.

Comment

Comment

I'm still bitter at them. They were going to be in the GNAC, until they weren't. Schedules were even made with GCU on the schedule for all GNAC teams, but then they bailed.
                            I remember when they made the jump to D1. As it was in the middle of their for-profit years, there was a ton of controversy allowing them to join. A lot of people didn't like it. Money talks, though.

Comment

D2 is not a good fit for most private universities. There are too many partial scholarships. Tuition is much higher at private schools than at their public counterparts. A 10% scholarship at GCU leaves student with a lot more debt than a 10% scholarship at CWU. This difference creates a big recruiting problem.

Comment

MLB is talking about an 80 game season to start around July 1. Has anyone actually made an official announcement about NBA and NHL just cancelling the season or are they still hoping to have playoffs? It seems less likely with every passing day.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X