Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a positive note, Super Rugby is being played in New Zealand and it's in front of live crowds. I just watched my favorite team the Highlanders beat the Chiefs 28-27 on ESPN+. It was great to see a live sporting event being played with real people in the stands again. Rugby is an awesome sport, it's the Father of American football. And you can stream games all summer on ESPN+ for just five bucks a month.
    Last edited by crixus; 06-13-2020, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post
      On a positive note, Super Rugby is being played in New Zealand and it's in front of live crowds. I just watched my favorite team the Highlanders beat the Chiefs 28-27 on ESPN+. It was great to see a live sporting event being played with real people in the stands again. Rugby is an awesome sport, it's the Father of American football. And you can stream games all summer on ESPN+ for just five bucks a month.
      It's rumored that rugby had an early influence on ice hockey as well, although that appears to be more of an urban legend than anything concrete.

Comment

• Ah- the rugby shirt. I remember them being extremely popular for casual wear in the mid to late 1970s. I had maroon/gold, blue/green, orange/white & green/gold short sleeved ones, and a red/gray long sleeved,

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

It's rumored that rugby had an early influence on ice hockey as well, although that appears to be more of an urban legend than anything concrete.
          I know that lacrosse had an influence on ice hockey, and I'm pretty sure you're right that it's an urban legend of rugby influencing ice hockey. If you have ESPN+ I recommend that you watch some of the Super Rugby replays there. Both matches were great and I can't wait for the next round this coming weekend.

BTW, your college has a rugby club. The NCAA doesn't regulate Men's Rugby (USA Rugby does) because rugby has been played at the college level longer than the NCAA has been around. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...Football_Union

And Major League Rugby (pro rugby in the USA) just had their first collegiate draft over the weekend.

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2...ufMVZbjSFpnUQcQTIA-IcVvC1JuzwJLfe4J9ZkUCxf8X8
          Last edited by crixus; 06-15-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
            Ah- the rugby shirt. I remember them being extremely popular for casual wear in the mid to late 1970s. I had maroon/gold, blue/green, orange/white & green/gold short sleeved ones, and a red/gray long sleeved,
            Rugby shirts are great. Too bad they aren't worn much on the pitch anymore. A few teams still wear the traditional collars but not many. It's easier to be tackled if the defense has something extra to grab hold of. But if you still have those shirts (and can fit into them) you should wear them regularly. Retro rules!

Chris Farley (RIP) played rugby at Marquette University back in the 80's. The other picture is of you (far left) and your buddies hanging out after high school. ;)

Last edited by crixus; 06-15-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Rugby shirts are great. Too bad they aren't worn much on the pitch anymore. A few teams still wear the traditional collars but not many. It's easier to be tackled if the defense has something extra to grab hold of. But if you still have those shirts (and can fit into them) you should wear them regularly. Retro rules!

Chris Farley (RIP) played rugby at Marquette University back in the 80's. The other picture is of you (far left) and your buddies hanging out after high school. ;)
              Those shirts got recycled a long time ago- worn out AND way too small!

That other picture looks more like the girls from Hector................. :)

Comment

I know that lacrosse had an influence on ice hockey, and I'm pretty sure you're right that it's an urban legend of rugby influencing ice hockey. If you have ESPN+ I recommend that you watch some of the Super Rugby replays there. Both matches were great and I can't wait for the next round this coming weekend.

BTW, your college has a rugby club. The NCAA doesn't regulate Men's Rugby (USA Rugby does) because rugby has been played at the college level longer than the NCAA has been around. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...Football_Union

And Major League Rugby (pro rugby in the USA) just had their first collegiate draft over the weekend.

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2...ufMVZbjSFpnUQcQTIA-IcVvC1JuzwJLfe4J9ZkUCxf8X8
                I've wanted to dive into it, at least to just watch a couple matches. I might have to check it out this week.

Rugby at SMSU was pretty popular at one point, I know they still field a team but I'm not sure if it's as popular as it once was.

Comment

• Seattle Pacific drops women's gymnastics. They were already discussing this before the shut down and the current conditions just brought the decision forward.

SPU to Discontinue Gymnastics Program

Comment

• Good news from over the weekend. Several D2 players were selected in the inaugural Major League Rugby collegiate draft. 400 college rugby players announced, but only 24 were selected to go pro. Congratulations to them!

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/20...fe4J9ZkUCxf8X8

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                      Seattle Pacific drops women's gymnastics. They were already discussing this before the shut down and the current conditions just brought the decision forward.

SPU to Discontinue Gymnastics Program
                      A thing to note on that one, SPU is a GNAC member and the GNAC doesn't sponsor gymnastics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

A thing to note on that one, SPU is a GNAC member and the GNAC doesn't sponsor gymnastics.
                        Mountain Pacific Sports Federation was Seattle Pacific's home for women's gymnastics.

Comment

Mountain Pacific Sports Federation was Seattle Pacific's home for women's gymnastics.
                          Thank you. It sounds about like CWU's Rugby teams or the wrestling team when I was there which competed in the RMAC, despite the school being NAIA at the time.

Comment

• Anchorage also has women's gymnastics in the MPSF.

Comment

• D3 Bowdoin will not compete in fall and winter sports due to the virus.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/06/...0off%20campus.

Comment

• Northern Vermont expected to cut four sports between the two campuses to help make ends meet. It's a consolation for not closing, basically.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/06/17/nvu-...ncial-roadmap/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X