Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

No great loss there. The NFL owners have been talking about cutting the pre-season in half for many years. Most of the starters don't see any real playing time in the first two games anyway, with some not playing at all.
    I'd have to imagine there is some monetary gain to be had somewhere for the NFL or else they wouldn't go through all the trouble of hosting a preseason with fans and whatnot. That's the part that interests me. I don't really care about the football itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Well, MSU Mankato's football team had an amazing team GPA despite the distractions of reaching the championship game. If the Ivy is that set on not letting football compete for a championship then they should at least be consistent and not let any of their other sports go to post season play. We talk about equality in this country- why that one team out of the many that they sponsor is singled out is beyond me. It would mean that their season would be extended one or two weeks. End disrimination!
      Harvard students actually have to do work to get a good GPA though. Almost as much as SMSU students have too!

(I kid, kinda)

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I'd have to imagine there is some monetary gain to be had somewhere for the NFL or else they wouldn't go through all the trouble of hosting a preseason with fans and whatnot. That's the part that interests me. I don't really care about the football itself.
        I read an article in Sports Illustrated around forty years ago that said if the Minnesota Vikings didn't have even one fan show up for an entire season that they would still make money from TV. I wish I could find that. Of course salaries have gone up along with tickets, parking and concession prices. But that is why NFL owners are billionaires (except for Green Bay).

Comment

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

No offense to Mankato, but the academic rigor may be slightly different in the Ivy League than there. I agree with the context of not letting any sport compete for a championship if you are going to use academics as a reason but trying to compare Mankato to Ivy Leagues is like comparing apples to trucks.
          MSU doesn't even rank in the top 5 for academic rigor in MN. Don't get me wrong, it's a great school in its own right and serves a vital purpose - but it's not even remotely comparable to anything the Ivy's have to offer.

Cornell is my #1 choice for grad school. I doubt that will happen - but I'm going to try anyway. MSU is the school I intend to go too if every other school in between won't accept me.

Comment

• Western Michigan adds Stony Brook after Colgate pulls out due to conference travel restrictions.

https://www.mlive.com/broncos/2020/0...on-opener.html

Comment

• Boise State drops baseball, swimming & diving.

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfs...c5396132a.html

Comment

Boise State drops baseball, swimming & diving.

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfs...c5396132a.html
                Wow. Boise State dropped wrestling so that they could add baseball. Now baseball is dropped after playing 14 games.

Comment

Things are getting crazy around here.

Kashmir Terror Attack : Loaded Apple Truck Set On Fire In Srinagar ...
                  I should have went with comparing apples to jeans so you could go with the Flo-rida song "Low":

"Shawty had them Apple Bottom Jeans"

Comment

• Texas College will not have fall sports.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8c&oe=5F249931

Comment

• Speaking of the Ivy League, there was a gal from my high school who went to Princeton. During her four years in HS she spent most of her free time reading. At lunch she was reading, on the bus to track & field meets she was reading. etc. She scored really high on her entrance exams and was our valedictorian. She did volunteer work and was a very good distance runner as well. Her father was a Colonel and a pilot in the USMC. And even with all those things going for her she barely got into Princeton. She survived the Ivy League and went on to get her Medical degree at the University of New Mexico. I was in Albuquerque a few years back to see my alma mater San Jose State play the UNM Lobos in football. I was walking by the hospital on my way to get dinner and she called my name. Well, we talked for a little while and she told me that going to Princeton was very hard and very stressful. But she made it through and went on to become a Doctor who spends most of her time working on a Navajo reservation in New Mexico. I'm not jealous of students at the Ivy League and the Hidden Ivy schools. I really admire their dedication!
                      Last edited by crixus; 07-03-2020, 03:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Wow. Boise State dropped wrestling so that they could add baseball. Now baseball is dropped after playing 14 games.
                        And the Broncos started off really well in baseball too. They had a winning record (9-5) before the season was halted due to Covid 19. And that's saying a lot for a program that was nixed nearly 40 years prior. Fortunately Boise State is going to honor their scholarships, although I'm guessing most of the players will transfer elsewhere to pursure their collegiate baseball dreams.
                        Last edited by crixus; 07-03-2020, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• Dixie State University in Utah (of all places) is considering changing their name because Dixie was/is a nickname for the South during the Civil War and afterwards. This story has nothing to do with Covid-19, but I thought I'd share it anyway. https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.Xv8LEIjYq00

Last edited by crixus; 07-03-2020, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Lafayette College cancels Sept. 12 game at Navy. Navy now looking for a replacement game

Comment

Lafayette College cancels Sept. 12 game at Navy. Navy now looking for a replacement game
                              I wonder how they will handle the Lehigh game. Hopefully it will be played.

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

I wonder how they will handle the Lehigh game. Hopefully it will be played.
                                I was just thinking about that game a couple of days ago. It's the most played rivalry in college football and the longest uninterrupted series. I watched it once on ESPN2 or ESPN3. Great FCS series!
                                Last edited by crixus; 07-03-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X