Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

I was just thinking about that game a couple of days ago. It's the most played rivalry in college football and the longest uninterrupted series. I watched it once on ESPN2 or ESPN3. Great FCS series!
    It's an old fashion school rivalry. I was at Lehigh on a college tour with my son and they had a countdown clock for their next meeting with Lafayette. In men's tennis.

????

Comment

• NAIA Langston calls off fall sports.

http://www.langstonsports.com/SIDHelp/m/a%7C623.php

Comment

• NESCAC - D3 members Amherst College and Bowdoin & Williams both cancel all fall athletics competition.

Comment

• Whittier Law School ceased operations this month, although it's parent school Whittier College (est. 1887 and home of the Poets - D3 SCIAC) will remain open.
          Last edited by crixus; 07-05-2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post
            Speaking of the Ivy League, there was a gal from my high school who went to Princeton. During her four years in HS she spent most of her free time reading. At lunch she was reading, on the bus to track & field meets she was reading. etc. She scored really high on her entrance exams and was our valedictorian. She did volunteer work and was a very good distance runner as well. Her father was a Colonel and a pilot in the USMC. And even with all those things going for her she barely got into Princeton. She survived the Ivy League and went on to get her Medical degree at the University of New Mexico. I was in Albuquerque a few years back to see my alma mater San Jose State play the UNM Lobos in football. I was walking by the hospital on my way to get dinner and she called my name. Well, we talked for a little while and she told me that going to Princeton was very hard and very stressful. But she made it through and went on to become a Doctor who spends most of her time working on a Navajo reservation in New Mexico. I'm not jealous of students at the Ivy League and the Hidden Ivy schools. I really admire their dedication!
            They get an unfair reputation as being "privileged." That may be the case for some, but a lot of Ivy Leaguers are working class kids with a solid work ethic. A lot of these schools make strides to admit people from less-privileged situations. The Ivy League will always have my respect as a collection of institutions.

Carleton College is the closest institution we have to an Ivy caliber school, and I was there just a few weeks ago. It's a lot different than anything I'm used too.

Comment

• Harvard is offering all courses online this fall, although I'm not sure if online attendance is mandatory or if classes will still be offered in person.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                Harvard is offering all courses online this fall, although I'm not sure if online attendance is mandatory or if classes will still be offered in person.
                Mandatory. Up to 40% of students will live on campus, but all instruction will be remote.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...pus-this-fall/

Comment

They get an unfair reputation as being "privileged." That may be the case for some, but a lot of Ivy Leaguers are working class kids with a solid work ethic. A lot of these schools make strides to admit people from less-privileged situations. The Ivy League will always have my respect as a collection of institutions.

Carleton College is the closest institution we have to an Ivy caliber school, and I was there just a few weeks ago. It's a lot different than anything I'm used too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                    Interesting thread. I don't totally disagree with her assessment, however there are a few things she is overlooking.

For one thing, some (if not all) Ivy League schools offer income-based tuition schedules. Students coming from households earning less than $65,000/year often pay no tuition. Harvard claims that 20% of its student body qualifies for free tuition, and also claims that even families earning up to $150,000/year qualify for some tuition assistance. Yale/Brown/Dartmouth/Brown/Penn/Cornell are probably all different though, but I know that's a common feature. "A lot" is a subjective term - I didn't mean the majority, I just meant more than a handful.

Secondly, "state schools" are a mixed bag. Some are quite rigorous, others are not. I have two state school degrees and I often wonder if I should have tried shooting a little higher. The low tuition was nice, but the range of opportunities I'm afforded for having such a degree is sparse at best. That's just my personal experience. In Minnesota, only one of our public universities has any rigor remotely comparable to that of the Ivy League. Not all colleges are made the same, nor should they be.

There is certainly nothing wrong with attending a state school. I did. We need them, they serve a valuable purpose - but there is a reason your average Winona State student isn't going to cut it at Harvard.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Mandatory. Up to 40% of students will live on campus, but all instruction will be remote.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...pus-this-fall/
                      Interesting. I didn't have time to dig into it and I saw a few contradicting headlines. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

• Fordham announces its Sept. 12 football game @HawaiiFB for @AlohaStadiumHI has been cancelled per Patriot League travel policy. Rams to announce later if they will postpone entire season until the spring. #HawaiiFB looking for a replacement

Comment

Don't sell your part of the country short, there are several Hidden Ivies in the Midwest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Ivies#Midwest
                          Last edited by crixus; 07-06-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                            Fordham announces its Sept. 12 football game @HawaiiFB for @AlohaStadiumHI has been cancelled per Patriot League travel policy. Rams to announce later if they will postpone entire season until the spring. #HawaiiFB looking for a replacement
                            New York to Honolulu is a very long trip, so I can see why this game was cancelled. I feel bad for the Fordham players missing out on a trip to Hawaii, but I'm glad the Patriot League is taking this pandemic seriously.
                            Last edited by crixus; 07-06-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• This is an interesting way of handling students on campus.

Ahead of the Ivy League's 7/8 announcement about athletics, Princeton says it plans to have freshman/juniors on campus for fall, and sophs/seniors in spring; "Most academic instruction will remain online."

Comment

• No fall sports for the Minnesota junior colleges, including 11 football teams.

https://www.mcacsports.org/general/2...20200706exy0yk

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X