Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    MLB considering a bubble for the playoffs. To me this makes more sense also on the weather side of things as they are talking Dallas/Houston and LA/San Diego for the sites (although why not just LA with two teams there?) I wouldn't want the World Series canceled like some April M's games in Minnesota and Cleveland due to snow.
    They're also considering holding the World Series at the new stadium in Arlington, Texas (home of the Rangers) no matter what two teams are involved. The players union has to approve it first.

Comment

• On a positive note, Dr. Larry Caplin (founder of DOCS Health) is optimistic about a full 2020 NFL season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...a-full-season/

Comment

• Setting up some dominoes- not sure where else to post this- the D3 UMAC puts out their fall schedules for the spring. Interesting.

https://athletics.crown.edu/news/202...olleyball.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post
          On a positive note, Dr. Larry Caplin (founder of DOCS Health) is optimistic about a full 2020 NFL season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...a-full-season/
          Also on a positive note, 5 weeks of NHL bubbles and still no positive tests. That is with a hard hitting sport like football where there being scrums and fights and crowded benches. If NFL can keep the players from leaving campus like the NHL I'm optimistic too with what the NHL has done.
          Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 09-02-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
            Setting up some dominoes- not sure where else to post this- the D3 UMAC puts out their fall schedules for the spring. Interesting.

https://athletics.crown.edu/news/202...olleyball.aspx
            Thank you laker. Crown College of your state Minnesota and the UMAC is affiliated with the church denomination (Christian & Missionary Alliance) that I attend. Go Storm! And they have a new mascot for 2020, but kept the same nickname, Storm. Now it's Storm the Polar Bear.

Last edited by crixus; 09-02-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Also on a positive note, 5 weeks of NHL bubbles and still no positive tests. That is with a hard hitting sport like football where there being scrums and fights and crowded benches. If NFL can keep the players from leaving campus like the NHL I'm optimistic too with what the NHL has done.
              I agree with you and am more concerned about fans spreading Covid-19 than I am the players. The players have NFL watch dogs looking out for them, but the fans don't. If they open up the games to fans they'd be wise to do it on a a small amount and enforce social distancing at the games. It's worked at pro rugby matches down under in Australia and New Zealand where they limit it to 1,500 fans and spread them out all around the stadium with no more than two sitting together (couples sort of thing). These are smaller stadiums that hold 30,000 of so. If the NFL opens their games up to fans maybe they could try 3,000 fans in a 60,000 seat stadium. Just spit balling numbers here, but you get my drift. Or go with no fans at all. Safety first!
              Last edited by crixus; 09-02-2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Thank you laker. Crown College of your state Minnesota and the UMAC is affiliated with the church denomination (Christian & Missionary Alliance) that I attend. Go Storm! And they have a new mascot for 2020, but kept the same nickname, Storm. Now it's Storm the Polar Bear.
                You are most welcome. Crown is the second closest four year school to me- 52 miles away, compared to Martin Luther, also in the UMAC, at 38 miles. Since I lived only a few blocks from MLC for twenty years I saw a lot of games there. But I've also seen several at Crown. The nice thing was that they didn't charge admission for people over 55! They used to be called the Crusaders but political correctness caused the name change. I love the new polar bear mascot- that should create some great fan wear. I do have a Crown baseball cap but may have to get a new one if the polar bear is on it. Crown is having a fund raising drive for a new basketball floor- not sure if there was a water leak or what. I've seen some games there too. The son of one of my former girls basketball players is signed up to go there.

Comment

I agree with you and am more concerned about fans spreading Covid-19 than I am the players. The players have NFL watch dogs looking out for them, but the fans don't. If they open up the games to fans they'd be wise to do it on a a small amount and enforce social distancing at the games. It's worked at pro rugby matches down under in Australia and New Zealand where they limit it to 1,500 fans and spread them out all around the stadium with no more than two sitting together (couples sort of thing). These are smaller stadiums that hold 30,000 of so. If the NFL opens their games up to fans maybe they could try 3,000 fans in a 60,000 seat stadium. Just spit balling numbers here, but you get my drift. Or go with no fans at all. Safety first!
                  I'd add on no alcohol for fans too. Alcohol impairs the brain enough to cause them to stop social distancing and do stupid things that could spread the virus.

Comment

You are most welcome. Crown is the second closest four year school to me- 52 miles away, compared to Martin Luther, also in the UMAC, at 38 miles. Since I lived only a few blocks from MLC for twenty years I saw a lot of games there. But I've also seen several at Crown. The nice thing was that they didn't charge admission for people over 55! They used to be called the Crusaders but political correctness caused the name change. I love the new polar bear mascot- that should create some great fan wear. I do have a Crown baseball cap but may have to get a new one if the polar bear is on it. Crown is having a fund raising drive for a new basketball floor- not sure if there was a water leak or what. I've seen some games there too. The son of one of my former girls basketball players is signed up to go there.
                    I'm watching COACH re-runs on Antenna TV and thought of how much you love Minnesota related sports. Here's the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles logo and helmet for you to save if you want. I didn't get to watch that show much when it was on originally so I'm really enjoying the re-runs now.

Last edited by crixus; 09-03-2020, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I'm watching COACH re-runs on Antenna TV and thought of how much you love Minnesota related sports. Here's the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles logo and helmet for you to save if you want. I didn't get to watch that show much when it was on originally so I'm really enjoying the re-runs now.[/IMG2]
                      Thanks, that was a funny show. The game action that they showed was the Minnesota Gophers, especially Ricky Foggie the QB.

The Screaming Eagle colors- purple, gold and orange- were similar to MSU-Mankato, which at the time was Mankato State University. It was a dream of mine in high school that they would change their name to MN State. and I was overjoyed when it actually happened. There were rumors that it would be Southern Minnesota University so when they finally changed it was much better.

For a period of twenty years- 1956-56- Mankato's colors were orange and navy (some sources say black) because they lost a coin flip to Winona State over who would get purple. I've seen some old Mav uniforms (back when they were still the Indians) that had those former colors.

They used to sell Screaming Eagle Starter jackets. I had a Mankato one and except for the orange they looked pretty close to the same- except for the Screaming Eagle on the back.

Comment

Thanks, that was a funny show. The game action that they showed was the Minnesota Gophers, especially Ricky Foggie the QB.

The Screaming Eagle colors- purple, gold and orange- were similar to MSU-Mankato, which at the time was Mankato State University. It was a dream of mine in high school that they would change their name to MN State. and I was overjoyed when it actually happened. There were rumors that it would be Southern Minnesota University so when they finally changed it was much better.

For a period of twenty years- 1956-56- Mankato's colors were orange and navy (some sources say black) because they lost a coin flip to Winona State over who would get purple. I've seen some old Mav uniforms (back when they were still the Indians) that had those former colors.

They used to sell Screaming Eagle Starter jackets. I had a Mankato one and except for the orange they looked pretty close to the same- except for the Screaming Eagle on the back.
                        There's several sites here that sell Screaming Eagle merchandise. https://www.google.com/search?q=Minn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I just bought a Minnesota State Screaming Eagles t-shirt. I'll be supporting a team that never was with pride! :D

Here's another one. I'm sure you remember the movie Animal House. Well that fictional school was called Faber College and the athletic teams were the Mongols. But they never said what state it was supposed to be in.

Last edited by crixus; 09-03-2020, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Legendary MLB pitcher Tom Seaver who led the 1969 New York Mets to a World Series championship died yesterday from Covid-19. He also suffered from dementia. Seaver was 75 years old. May he rest in peace.

I remember watching him pitch for the Mets and Reds against my Dodgers when I was growing up. He also pitched briefly for the White Sox and Red Sox. But he'll always be known as the leader of the Miracle Mets of 1969. He spent the majority of his career with New York and is enshrined in the Hall of Fame as a Met.

Comment

Legendary MLB pitcher Tom Seaver who led the 1969 New York Mets to a World Series championship died yesterday from Covid-19. He also suffered from dementia. Seaver was 75 years old. May he rest in peace.

I remember watching him pitch for the Mets and Reds against my Dodgers when I was growing up. He also pitched briefly for the White Sox and Red Sox. But he'll always be known as the leader of the Miracle Mets of 1969. He spent the majority of his career with New York and is enshrined in the Hall of Fame as a Met.
                            Growing up as a Yankees fan, we always had "disdain" for the Mets, their players, and especially their fans. But I always admired Tom Seaver. He was a class act.

Comment

I'm watching COACH re-runs on Antenna TV and thought of how much you love Minnesota related sports. Here's the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles logo and helmet for you to save if you want. I didn't get to watch that show much when it was on originally so I'm really enjoying the re-runs now.

That coach also went to CWU!

Comment

There's several sites here that sell Screaming Eagle merchandise. https://www.google.com/search?q=Minn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I just bought a Minnesota State Screaming Eagles t-shirt. I'll be supporting a team that never was with pride! :D

Here's another one. I'm sure you remember the movie Animal House. Well that fictional school was called Faber College and the athletic teams were the Mongols. But they never said what state it was supposed to be in.

I'm not sure if it was ever stated, or even implied in the movie - but I believe it was shot at the University of Oregon, so I always mentally put the college in Oregon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X