Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clemson DE Justin Foster retires due to Covid-19 and asthma issues. Sad to see this young man's career end this way.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sthma-covid-19
    Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

• My ol' alma mater - San Jose State University cancelled their final three games of the season yesterday due to Covid-19 complications. They only got to play two games at home this season because of Santa Clara County Health Dept.'s strict protocol. They lived out of a hotel in Phoenix for all but the final two games. They were scheduled to play two games today (Thursday) and on Saturday at Wyoming and then one game at home on March 3rd vs Nevada, but those games have been cancelled. The Spartans had eight games cancelled this season. :(

https://twitter.com/SanJoseStateMBB/...91316655984643
      Last edited by crixus; 02-25-2021, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post
        Clemson DE Justin Foster retires due to Covid-19 and asthma issues. Sad to see this young man's career end this way.

It's such a weird illness. I also have asthma, am older, and I'm in much worse shape than him - yet it was about as annoying as a cold and I came out fine. I feel for him. I hope he can recover and make a comeback someday. What a heartbreaking way to end a career.

Comment

Clemson DE Justin Foster retires due to Covid-19 and asthma issues. Sad to see this young man's career end this way.

Asthma alone I'd feel could be enough to retire. My brother had it and would start out strong in sports other than baseball (unless just the 2 of us playing where he was always running), but fade fast due to his asthma. If he'd played football I don't think he'd have been an every down player or close to it due to the asthma even with an inhaler between series.

If Covid or any flu that hits the lungs bad it can really down a person with asthma, although of course it depends on how strong the asthma is too.

Comment

My ol' alma mater - San Jose State University cancelled their final three games of the season yesterday due to Covid-19 complications. They only got to play two games at home this season because of Santa Clara County Health Dept.'s strict protocol. They lived out of a hotel in Phoenix for all but the final two games. They were scheduled to play two games today (Thursday) and on Saturday at Wyoming and then one game at home on March 3rd vs Nevada, but those games have been cancelled. The Spartans had eight games cancelled this season. :(

https://twitter.com/SanJoseStateMBB/...91316655984643
            This feels a lot like the WSU decision in football. Not going anywhere, why risk anything. I know a lot of the talk about the conference tournaments is about the top teams skipping out to protect their seeds/bids, but this kind of a decision for opting out makes more sense as they'd only won 3 games and are 9th in the MWC right now with a sub 300 NET ranking. It actually helps minimize risks for those top teams in the MWC where 4 are looking to make the tourney for their conference tournament.

Comment

• https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...naments-arrive

Let's hope this doesn't backfire. Bars in Indy for the B1G and NCAA tournament going up to 50% and restaurants to 75% capacity. This decision was made on local trends, not either tournament heading there.

Comment

• College Baseball - notable postponements or cancellations due to Covid-19.
                • Feb. 23-28: Sacred Heart at Fordham
                • Feb. 25-28: Pacific at Sacramento State
                • Feb. 26-28: Texas State at Lamar
                • Feb. 26-28: Bucknell at Radford
                • Feb. 26-28: Ball State at Charleston Southern
                • Feb. 26-28: Central Michigan at Bellarmine
                • Feb. 26-28: Utah Valley at Cal State Bakersfield
                • Feb. 27-28: San Jose State at Fresno State
                • Feb. 27-28: Massachusetts at Stony Brook
                • March 6-7: Nevada at San Jose State
                • March 13-14: Air Force at San Jose State
                • March 20-21: San Jose State at Nevada-Las Vegas

Comment

• University of Portland basketball is on a Covid pause and had last week's final games of the season wiped out. It is still questionable if they will play in the WCC tournament, but it wouldn't surprise me if they go the way of San Jose State as Portland has 0 wins in league play and a sub 300 net ranking.

Comment

• The NIT has been cut down to just 16 teams this year, and will be held regionally in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area due to the pandemic.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...rth-worth-area

Comment

• MLB delays AAA season for at least a month due to Covid-19 concerns.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...th-sources-say

Comment

MLB delays AAA season for at least a month due to Covid-19 concerns.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...th-sources-say
                        I hope they can at least play intrasquad games in case of injury/performance call ups. If not this could drastically effect the MLB teams in case of major injuries that require time on the IL.

Comment

• Maybe this was already shared, but Eastern Washington looking at either dropping football or moving the whole AD down to DII or DIII

EWU weighing options for athletic department - YakTriNews.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Maybe this was already shared, but Eastern Washington looking at either dropping football or moving the whole AD down to DII or DIII

EWU weighing options for athletic department - YakTriNews.com
                            I don't remember seeing it before, but there's been so much bad news in the past year that were now on page 91. Eastern Washington has had a great football program over the years and I'd hate to see them shut their doors for good. Dropping down to D2 would be good news for the GNAC, because I'm pretty sure that's where they'd go. I hope they stay at FCS, they won a National Championship there in 2010 which was their first season playing on a red turf.

Last edited by crixus; 03-03-2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I don't remember seeing it before, but there's been so much bad news in the past year that were now on page 91. Eastern Washington has had a great football program over the years and I'd hate to see them shut their doors for good. Dropping down to D2 would be good news for the GNAC, because I'm pretty sure that's where they'd go. I hope they stay at FCS, they won a National Championship there in 2010 which was their first season playing on a red turf.
                              I just hope they keep football. D2 might be a nice fit for them if they are struggling financially at FCS.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I just hope they keep football. D2 might be a nice fit for them if they are struggling financially at FCS.
                                I decided to check their chances at basketball tournament money, although conferences spread that out. They are currently .5 games ahead of Southern Utah in the Big Sky. It wouldn't surprise me if part of the shortfall in money is also due to no tournament money going to these smaller schools from last year's canceled tournament, which will hit the mid major and low major schools a lot harder than the power school conferences.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X