Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catatonic View Post

Revenue pressure will ignite realignment talks along regional lines, prompt discussions about shuffling non conference schedules to compete against nearby schools, drop sports, eliminate post season conference championship competition in non revenue sports as well as possibly moving down a level.

The biggest pressure will be on mid major FBS conferences, where most schools are already running annual deficits in the millions of dollars range.

Agree with all, and I think the financial pressures are going to be at all levels. There are D1s, D2s, and D3s that are already barely hanging on. This event will force tough decisions that were likely already looming.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      Good points. Another possible consequence:
      Online classes have been a disruptive force that many traditional brick and mortar schools have somewhat reluctantly offered for primarily lower level courses.
      the pandemic has provided an existence proof thar vast majority of courses can be taught online at prestigious schools.

potential to reduce costs for brick and mortar schools?
      My nieces and nephews who are currently in both HS and college and my son in middle schoolb hate being taught online. The first couple days they loved, now all of them would love to go back to the traditional way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post

My nieces and nephews who are currently in both HS and college and my son in middle schoolb hate being taught online. The first couple days they loved, now all of them would love to go back to the traditional way.
        I've had to make the fully-online transition as a college instructor, and even though I generally likes being home, I didn't think I would say that I missed going to my office and actually going to work, but it turns out to be true. Then again, I'm happy to be working at all.

My alma mater (New Haven) had just gotten approval to push ahead with developing an athletics expansion plan with eyes on a D1 transition. Not so sure that's happening any time soon now.

Comment

Virtually all D1 athletic directors believe there will be a football season of some sort during the 2020-2021 school year. https://watchstadium.com/99-percent-...on-04-21-2020/

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Agree with all, and I think the financial pressures are going to be at all levels. There are D1s, D2s, and D3s that are already barely hanging on. This event will force tough decisions that were likely already looming.
            Valid Points Herb. Louisiana Schools were already in dire straits financially before the Coronavirus came and now that oil has came crashing down look for the Southland to either fall apart or shed some of these schools for its own survival.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Valid Points Herb. Louisiana Schools were already in dire straits financially before the Coronavirus came and now that oil has came crashing down look for the Southland to either fall apart or shed some of these schools for its own survival.
              https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...te-budget-cuts
              Last edited by catatonic; 04-28-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

True, Louisiana isn't alone but they are definitely in need of consolidation. Georgia did a great job in consolidating and streamlining their collegiate system. When you consider that SE La, Nichols and UNO are all about an hour of each other in a triangle it makes absolutely no sense in today's world not to consolidate. I remember some years back when some Mizz Valley Conference schools were recruiting my daughter the Coaches talked about how poorly the Illinois Universities were being funded. Funny the article listed La last followed by Illinois. I think about Chicago State already losing students at an alarming rate and this will probably be the final nail in that coffin.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X