Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 D2 Football Playoff Bracket: Seven fewer charter flights, $440K saved

It looks as though the new seeding format implemented for the 2019 D2 football championships will remain in place for the foreseeable future. From the D2 Championships Committee February 2020 report:

b. Football charters analysis. The committee reviewed results from a model the Division II Football Committee developed and implemented for the 2019 Division II Football Championship designed to address rising travel costs. The model allows the Football Committee to select the seven teams from each of the four super regions (no change from previous selection process) but place them in the bracket differently than in past years to reduce the number of charter flights without compromising the integrity of the bracket. The model reduced the number of charters from 19 in 2018 to 12 in 2019, which resulted in a savings of more than $440,000 in travel costs in 2019.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    It looks as though the new seeding format implemented for the 2019 D2 football championships will remain in place for the foreseeable future. From the D2 Championships Committee February 2020 report:

b. Football charters analysis. The committee reviewed results from a model the Division II Football Committee developed and implemented for the 2019 Division II Football Championship designed to address rising travel costs. The model allows the Football Committee to select the seven teams from each of the four super regions (no change from previous selection process) but place them in the bracket differently than in past years to reduce the number of charter flights without compromising the integrity of the bracket. The model reduced the number of charters from 19 in 2018 to 12 in 2019, which resulted in a savings of more than $440,000 in travel costs in 2019.
    Is it a true analysis including the selected teams or just a straight up comparison to the previous year?

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

Is it a true analysis including the selected teams or just a straight up comparison to the previous year?
      I hadn't thought of that (again, it's not my analysis, it's the NCAA's own committee reporting this), but I'm thinking that it might be a straight up year-to-year comparison. Though, it's still a significant amount, especially with the potential loss of revenue due to the NCAA cancelling 2020 March Madness and other winter/spring championships.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

I think it's based upon what WOULD have happened in 2019 under the old rules against what DID happen under the new rules.

Comment

Might that get them to explore the entire regional thing? Throw out the regions and just group by geography? I didn't think this through much, but why not?

Comment

I think no GNAC team in the playoffs helped too. That is a flight regardless of opponent right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
              Might that get them to explore the entire regional thing? Throw out the regions and just group by geography? I didn't think this through much, but why not?
              That's what I have always wanted. It's why this rule change didn't bother me. Any weakening of strict rationalization is great in my mind.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X