Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
    RMAC will make an announcement today on fall sports. The presidents are meeting to discuss the NCAA D2 decision.
    Same thing going on the NSIC today. Will decide to go ahead and have football (and other sports) on their own this fall, in the spring, split seasons or have nothing.

Comment

• With there now being nothing to play for, I can't see any path forward that includes a Division II football season for any conference. The NCAA clearly sees it as being too big of a risk to play a playoff/championship. The risk is equally as high for regular season games. I see no point in wasting players' eligibility on a season that has no end-goal and will be full of potential positive cases and quarantines.

Comment

• I agree BeachinLaker
        Why not have everyone in D2 regroup---plan spring seasons with championships and let's move forward. It would be meaningless to play 5-8 games this fall and waste a year of eligibility.
        I don't have much faith in the NCAA in general to see the common sense in things and especially in D2 and D3---they are only concerned about the money grab in D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
          With there now being nothing to play for, I can't see any path forward that includes a Division II football season for any conference. The NCAA clearly sees it as being too big of a risk to play a playoff/championship. The risk is equally as high for regular season games. I see no point in wasting players' eligibility on a season that has no end-goal and will be full of potential positive cases and quarantines.
          I'm not sure COVID risk is the main reason they cancelled, if you read the wording of the statement. It cites "operational, logistical and financial challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic" but never mentions risk of infection as the reason for cancelling. They also mentioned 11 of 23 conferences aren't playing. I interpreted that as saying they couldn't have championships in the fall without sacrificing championship integrity, since half the conferences won't participate, and that it just isn't feasible logistically and financially to try and move them to the spring and keep them inclusive of all conferences.

Comment

• The financial challenges:

Institutions - Covid Testing

NCAA - Paying for playoffs after reduced revenues

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              The financial challenges:

And on top of all that, the NCAA is requiring every school that plays to cover COVID-19 medical expenses. So they either have to take out an insurance policy for every athlete, or pay out of pocket for anyone who gets sick to go to the doctor.

Comment

• Preseason Coaches Poll is out for FBS

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng/5525792002/

1. Clemson (38)
                2. Ohio State (17)
                3. Alabama (4)
                4. Georgia
                5. LSU (6)
                6. Oklahoma
                7. Penn State
                8. Florida
                9. Oregon
                10. Notre Dame
                11. Auburn
                12. Wisconsin
                13. Texas A&M
                14. Texas
                15. Michigan
                16. Oklahoma State
                17. USC
                18. Minnesota
                19. North Carolina
                20. Utah
                21. Central Florida
                22. Cincinnati
                23. Iowa
                24. Virginia Tech
                25. Iowa State

Others Receiving Votes
                Tennessee, Boise State, Arizona State, Kentucky, Memphis, Baylor, Washington, Louisville, Miami (FL), Appalachian State, Navy, Virginia, Air Force, Mississippi State, TCU, Washington State, Tulane, California, Louisiana-Lafayette, Southern Methodist, Nebraska, Stanford, Pittsburgh, Kansas State, Indiana, Duke

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                  The financial challenges:

Yeah, I see nearly zero way that most every D2 school can find the financial means to cover the necessary covid testing costs. This on top of the other expenses required to keep everything disinfected.

Comment

• Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                    Preseason Coaches Poll is out for FBS

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng/5525792002/

1. Clemson (38)
                    2. Ohio State (17)
                    3. Alabama (4)
                    4. Georgia
                    5. LSU (6)
                    6. Oklahoma
                    7. Penn State
                    8. Florida
                    9. Oregon
                    10. Notre Dame
                    11. Auburn
                    12. Wisconsin
                    13. Texas A&M
                    14. Texas
                    15. Michigan
                    16. Oklahoma State
                    17. USC
                    18. Minnesota
                    19. North Carolina
                    20. Utah
                    21. Central Florida
                    22. Cincinnati
                    23. Iowa
                    24. Virginia Tech
                    25. Iowa State

Others Receiving Votes
                    Tennessee, Boise State, Arizona State, Kentucky, Memphis, Baylor, Washington, Louisville, Miami (FL), Appalachian State, Navy, Virginia, Air Force, Mississippi State, TCU, Washington State, Tulane, California, Louisiana-Lafayette, Southern Methodist, Nebraska, Stanford, Pittsburgh, Kansas State, Indiana, Duke
                    With the SILO play, it almost guarantees no Group of 5 team this year if the season goes off with only UCF in the initial rankings. BSU even if they go undefeated for example would have no quality wins according to most people as an example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Yeah, I see nearly zero way that most every D2 school can find the financial means to cover the necessary covid testing costs. This on top of the other expenses required to keep everything disinfected.
                      I agree, especially for state schools with states already losing money with so many out of work already. Here in Washington for example, only half the ongoing road projects are being worked on which has caused delays in road construction through the busiest time of year for road construction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Tests alone could run north of $600,000.

Comment

• Turn out the lights for the FCS playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by catatonic View Post
                            Turn out the lights for the FCS playoffs.
                            I can't find anything official other than the Big Sky canceling the season today. I assume it is because of that decision you are saying this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I can't find anything official other than the Big Sky canceling the season today. I assume it is because of that decision you are saying this?
                              Last edited by catatonic; 08-07-2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• I saw rumors on egriz about the Pioneer league. On the thread about this people are wanting Montana and Montana State to go rogue and still play, but seeing the numbers Brandon gave for what covid tests may cost schools I doubt they would do so.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X