X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFOILERFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by ftballfan View Post

Does this mean no fall sports for the public D1 schools in CA (such as USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, etc.)?

Most of the schools in Michigan have announced they're returning to in-person classes this fall (with at least one college planning on starting early in order to be done by Thanksgiving).
    UCLA and Cal fall under the UC system which is separate from the Cal State system. No decision from the UC system...yet.

Leave a comment:

• ftballfan
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

The California State system announced today that there will be no classes on campus. The CCAA announced no sports this fall. Who is next.
    Does this mean no fall sports for the public D1 schools in CA (such as USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, etc.)?

Most of the schools in Michigan have announced they're returning to in-person classes this fall (with at least one college planning on starting early in order to be done by Thanksgiving).

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

This is the biggest unknown in my opinion.

Presidents aren't going to get the benefit of waiting through the summer to see what happens and then decide at the end of July. They're going to have to start making decisions within the next 30 days, I'd imagine. At a lot of D2 schools, football (or athletics in general) isn't going to weigh in very heavily in this decision, I'm afraid. Once the first school announces online-only, it'll only encourage others to follow suit. Neither the NCAA or the general public is going to let schools bring athletes on campus, but not everyone else... Maybe they can come up with a plan where everything is online but you have the option to open up campus in August, provided it's safe, to only students who want to be there.
    The California State system announced today that there will be no classes on campus. The CCAA announced no sports this fall. Who is next.

Leave a comment:

• badboyblynn
    replied
    If all schools go 'on-line' this fall, what percentage of students decide to sit-out the year, maybe take some P-T jobs as they come open and wait for 2021-22 school year when campuses re-open for sure?

Leave a comment:

• ccmoney8
    replied
    Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
    2. Will the Schools reopen in the fall for classes or will it be on line learning again?
    This is the biggest unknown in my opinion.

Presidents aren't going to get the benefit of waiting through the summer to see what happens and then decide at the end of July. They're going to have to start making decisions within the next 30 days, I'd imagine. At a lot of D2 schools, football (or athletics in general) isn't going to weigh in very heavily in this decision, I'm afraid. Once the first school announces online-only, it'll only encourage others to follow suit. Neither the NCAA or the general public is going to let schools bring athletes on campus, but not everyone else... Maybe they can come up with a plan where everything is online but you have the option to open up campus in August, provided it's safe, to only students who want to be there.

Leave a comment:

• NWHoops
    replied
    Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

I heard the RMAC wants to silo as well... nine games for everyone. What I haven't heard is who's going to pay for the contracts that would have to be broken...
    Most contracts have Force Majeure language which essentially equates to "if actions beyond our control (acts of God) prevent us from fulfilling this then we're not liable". I'm assuming COVID-19 would fall under that.

Leave a comment:

• ccmoney8
    replied
    Yes, It's a very fluid situation right now and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I just read that the PAC 12 is thinking about a silo schedule for this year, 11 games only. SEC and Big 10 are also looking at it. I have not read anything from the RMAC about anything. Just read that Fla Tech dropped football, but some saw that coming. Probably major conference reshuffling coming up in the future with bottom dwellers of conferences dropping football and other sports.
    I heard the RMAC wants to silo as well... nine games for everyone. What I haven't heard is who's going to pay for the contracts that would have to be broken...

Leave a comment:

• Packfootball
    replied
    Yes, It's a very fluid situation right now and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I just read that the PAC 12 is thinking about a silo schedule for this year, 11 games only. SEC and Big 10 are also looking at it. I have not read anything from the RMAC about anything. Just read that Fla Tech dropped football, but some saw that coming. Probably major conference reshuffling coming up in the future with bottom dwellers of conferences dropping football and other sports.

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied
    Some interesting comments in that article.

Leave a comment:

• Packfootball
    replied
    Just read this article. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...us/3100733001/

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Just from reading and listening to the news, this is what I figure will have to happen for football to happen this fall in all Divisions of the NCAA.
    1. The NCAA, Governors of each state and the Conferences will have to come to agreement to open the practices and play. If one of them says no, especially the Governors it may have an impact on the whole conference.
    2. Will the Schools reopen in the fall for classes or will it be on line learning again?
    3. Have student athletes remained eligible for the fall and did the NCAA / Schools clear them?
    4. The state of Hawaii has basically isolated it self from the rest of the Country. Will the team have to go in to isolation for 14 days to play a game in Hawaii? Maybe the answer is for the Mountain West to drop Hawaii from the schedule while the 14 day requirement is in place.
    5. Will Conferences that are within a state like Texas, will the LSC play just a conference schedule? Will the N.M. schools get to play?
    6. Public schools will have to listen to the Governors of each state. Will the private schools rebel against the Governors (Azusa Pacific come to mind.).

I may have opened a bag of worms with this one.
    I don't think anyone will be blaming you...Chin up! They played REAL baseball games in 1918, with players and umpires all wearing masks on the field...There's still HOPE!!!

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Personally, I don't think we're going to see football start on time, if at all. There are far too many logistical issues.

What happens when half of the teams don't play? What happens in the scenario where there's a surge of cases? How does the GNAC respond if someone gets sick in the PSAC? Players out-of-state are home for the summer and can't get back to campus?

Also, there is a 0% chance teams are "ready." At least here, all in-person meetings and practices have been barred. All gyms are closed. Most of the team went home, which many of them don't live anywhere near campus. Trying to get everyone back to campus to get warmed up for the first game of the season is going to be a nightmare, unless things completely turn around for the better.

Honestly, and sadly, I think the better thing to speculate on is which teams never play football again.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied
    The NCAA issued guidelines for restarting fall sports on Friday. Football would gradually restart as states bring down the number of new cases.

It is very unlikely that all 50 states will meet the benchmarks necessary to start the season on time. https://lastwordoncollegefootball.co...l-sports-plan/

Leave a comment:

• Packfootball
    started a topic Will we have football in the fall?

Will we have football in the fall?

Just from reading and listening to the news, this is what I figure will have to happen for football to happen this fall in all Divisions of the NCAA.
    1. The NCAA, Governors of each state and the Conferences will have to come to agreement to open the practices and play. If one of them says no, especially the Governors it may have an impact on the whole conference.
    3. Have student athletes remained eligible for the fall and did the NCAA / Schools clear them?
    4. The state of Hawaii has basically isolated it self from the rest of the Country. Will the team have to go in to isolation for 14 days to play a game in Hawaii? Maybe the answer is for the Mountain West to drop Hawaii from the schedule while the 14 day requirement is in place.
    5. Will Conferences that are within a state like Texas, will the LSC play just a conference schedule? Will the N.M. schools get to play?
    6. Public schools will have to listen to the Governors of each state. Will the private schools rebel against the Governors (Azusa Pacific come to mind.).

I may have opened a bag of worms with this one.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X