Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrifFan
    replied
    The Big 10 is now saying that no vote has been taken to postpone the football season. Nebraska coach Scott Frost says the Huskers would look at all options to play games this fall.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

There is a contact sport that I have on my TV right now. I don't know if a bubble can be done at colleges with all the travel and hotels off campus, but for the NHL it is working quite well with their two hub cities. I'm not sure how easy that would be though for football as they have more players, although a stadium with field turf could be used. The key, getting players and staff to buy into social distancing and not going to parties is something that would probably not work for the NCAA in football.
    All it really takes is one player to infect half the roster and the season is delayed or cancelled. Given how large football rosters are, and given the party mentality of a lot of student athletes (and especially freshmen), I'd say it's next to impossible to keep them in a bubble.

Leave a comment:

• Mk63NuclearBomb
    replied
    Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
    Mark Emmert absolutely worthless. Or am I overreacting about my feelings regarding him?
    No no no, you're right

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
    Mark Emmert absolutely worthless. Or am I overreacting about my feelings regarding him?
    Never cared for him either.

Leave a comment:

• sportsvine
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Originally posted by catatonic View Post

The SEC is said to be salivating over the possibility of negotiating TV deals on a game by game basis this fall. The revised schedule will include some blockbuster match ups. They are also said to be open to including rogue members of conferences that cancel fall ball, such as Ohio State or Penn State.
    Reportedly Nebraska and Iowa were the only schools that voted to play, so I would think those would be the only schools from the B1G that would consider it, and I don't know if it would be worth poisoning the relationship with the conference.

Leave a comment:

• Mk63NuclearBomb
    replied
    Detroit Free Press sources confirm Big 10 is canceling their season

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...te/3332277001/

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
    Rumor online is: Big 10 and Pac 12 will announce cancellation this week, Big XII and ACC are still weighing options, and the SEC is holding firm on their modified fall season
    The SEC is said to be salivating over the possibility of negotiating TV deals on a game by game basis this fall. The revised schedule will include some blockbuster match ups. They are also said to be open to including rogue members of conferences that cancel fall ball, such as Ohio State or Penn State.

Leave a comment:

• Mk63NuclearBomb
    replied
    Rumor online is: Big 10 and Pac 12 will announce cancellation this week, Big XII and ACC are still weighing options, and the SEC is holding firm on their modified fall season

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
    Until the medical field gets a better understanding on Covid 19 to include a vaccine, I just don't see any contact sports happening. It could be 18 to 36 months for this virus to be defeated if ever or the severity of getting the virus is lessened. We may just have to live with it in our society. Just waiting on FCS to call off the season. FBS has just had a conference cancel the fall season. IT's just a matter of time until the rest cancel. I agree with Herb Street.
    There is a contact sport that I have on my TV right now. I don't know if a bubble can be done at colleges with all the travel and hotels off campus, but for the NHL it is working quite well with their two hub cities. I'm not sure how easy that would be though for football as they have more players, although a stadium with field turf could be used. The key, getting players and staff to buy into social distancing and not going to parties is something that would probably not work for the NCAA in football.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    I did not imply that a Covid vaccine would be at any level. Just pointing out that most vaccines are in that range. The supposition was that it would be at 50%. I find that interesting since it is based upon no research at all. It also fits in with the narrative that we need to continue to be vigilant.

Also, there is that "may" word again....

Leave a comment:

• Packfootball
    replied
    Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
    Just from reading and listening to the news, this is what I figure will have to happen for football to happen this fall in all Divisions of the NCAA.
    1. The NCAA, Governors of each state and the Conferences will have to come to agreement to open the practices and play. If one of them says no, especially the Governors it may have an impact on the whole conference.
    2. Will the Schools reopen in the fall for classes or will it be on line learning again?
    3. Have student athletes remained eligible for the fall and did the NCAA / Schools clear them?
    4. The state of Hawaii has basically isolated it self from the rest of the Country. Will the team have to go in to isolation for 14 days to play a game in Hawaii? Maybe the answer is for the Mountain West to drop Hawaii from the schedule while the 14 day requirement is in place.
    5. Will Conferences that are within a state like Texas, will the LSC play just a conference schedule? Will the N.M. schools get to play?
    6. Public schools will have to listen to the Governors of each state. Will the private schools rebel against the Governors (Azusa Pacific come to mind.).

I may have opened a bag of worms with this one.
    So here are the answers so far;
    1. Governors and Conferences have canceled or postponed the fall season.
    2. Mixed results so far. No consensus so far.
    3. Have not heard good or bad about this.
    4. Hawaii still has the 14 day isolation in place thru the end of the month. The Governor will probably extend it again another 30 days. New York, New Jersey and Connecticut have introduced the 14 day isolation from a number of states.
    5. NM Governor has sent a letter to schools not to play. Eastern, Highlands and Western will not play in the fall.
    6. Again mixed results.

The fall season is all but cancelled for FCS and FBS.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

https://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/i...%20recipients.

Most childhood vaccines have an efficacy rate of 85% to 95%. How do you come up with 50%?
    FYI, https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/22/...g-their-power/

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Because the FDA is using 50% efficacy as their threshold to approve a vaccine.

Dr. Doom (Fauci) is himself saying it could be only 50 to 60% efficacy:

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-08-0...NJe/index.html
    The key word is "may". As well, it is his theory before even having data. I believe he used that to endorse vigilance in maintaining safe protocols like washing hands, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Redwing
    replied
    I see the fear mongering influenced crowd has really penetrated our D2 community.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X