Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post
    NWHoops if you think Oil Tycoon boosters in Texas, deep SEC pockets and major programs in the South are going to get the checker boards out for fall weekends while seeing factual numbers that the vast majority of cases affect the elderly, obese and those with underlying health conditions you are sadly mistaken. Is the virus real, yes, is the economy slowing opening yes, will there be college football in the fall yes. The schools that open will be ahead of the game and others will knee jerk their way following behind. Prime example is European soccer, EPL announced they were coming back, two hours later, Italian soccer and today Spanish soccer. I feel bad for anyone who has had or is experiencing a family member who has the virus at the end of the day the show must go on.
    At no point did I say there wouldn't be football. Just stating a fact that saying there is no risk to college aged individuals is inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

Factually correct that "no threat" is inaccurate. But .0004% fatality from COVID versus .08% from all cause fatality is 200 times more likely from something other that COVID.
      Agree and mentioned that in my post. What happens if a student athlete contracts COVID, traced to participation in athletics, and a lawsuit ensues. I guarantee schools are weighing this risk.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

Factually correct that "no threat" is inaccurate. But .0004% fatality from COVID versus .08% from all cause fatality is 200 times more likely from something other that COVID.
          This is like saying "you get to chose any PGA player for this tournament, and I get the field".

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Agree and mentioned that in my post. What happens if a student athlete contracts COVID, traced to participation in athletics, and a lawsuit ensues. I guarantee schools are weighing this risk.
            Maybe Student athletes will have to sign a waiver if they wish to compete
            ???

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

???
              Some things that are almost certain. There will be football played. How many games, players, fans and championships is totally open to speculation. There will be players, students, coaches and fans infected with COVID 19. How many cases, how severe they are and how many deaths result is also speculative. And ABSOLUTELY there will be law suits. No need to qualify that one. Some have already begun.

https://triblive.com/local/westmorel...line-learning/

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

???
                I've thought the same thing. In order to do so and cover the school from liability I'm guessing they would need to put language in that student athletes scholarships will be honored whether the student athlete chooses to play or not and then leave it up to each student athlete as to whether they play.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Some things that are almost certain. There will be football played. How many games, players, fans and championships is totally open to speculation. There will be players, students, coaches and fans infected with COVID 19. How many cases, how severe they are and how many deaths result is also speculative. And ABSOLUTELY there will be law suits. No need to qualify that one. Some have already begun.

I've seen many lawsuits over the education component. I'm thinking more along the lines of student athletes feeling they have to play or they lose their scholarship. For some that may mean choosing between their safety and their ability to pay for school. The first instance of a student athlete suffering severe complications or even death from COVID due to their participation in athletics will definitely be a lawsuit if the student athlete felt compelled to play or lose their ability to pay for school. Schools will have to walk a fine line in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Comment

• Given the opportunities for settlements, I'd say a university could detail plans and follow them to the letter and will still be sued. The only reason I posted the suit versus CAL U was it's familiar to me and it was brought as a class action in federal court. This plaintiff already has her degree so the second half of her senior year second semester is what she is bringing action about. I would think that could be handled out of court quietly, but her attorney is looking for a payday and so it begins. The blood's in the water.

Comment

• I've heard the 10-game season will begin on the weekend of 9/11/20. The PSAC plans to eliminate week 3 crossover games...

Comment

• Talked to a long time $$$ supporter, and he said after the recent events, he's pretty much through with sports of all kinds. Unfortunately, looks as though there has been more collateral damage than just to material things. Really bothers me to see this. Hopefully things will get better in the future, but right now I'm not feeling very optimistic.

Comment

• Too many questions and not many answers if any. Rumors flying around by people who think they are in the know. Will the RMAC play a silo schedule with only 9 games, or will CSUP travel to Kingsville or GV come to Pueblo. I am sure that the conferences are looking at how to make the season work with a max of 10 games or a minimum of 7 games to make the playoffs. The GNAC is in a hard situation with only 4 teams that play football. They need 5 games at least to have a season. That's a lot of $$$ to travel around to the west coast or for them to travel to the LSC. Sports writers are just trying to get information from sources they think is fact. Until we get information from the NCAA and the conferences that they will play football, all is just guess work and rumors or speculation. Guess I will just sit by and wait for the real news. But time is running out on a football season and the football camps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                              Talked to a long time $$$ supporter, and he said after the recent events, he's pretty much through with sports of all kinds. Unfortunately, looks as though there has been more collateral damage than just to material things. Really bothers me to see this. Hopefully things will get better in the future, but right now I'm not feeling very optimistic.
                              Coronavirus or riots? Why would either prevent someone from enjoying sports?

Comment

• Two Marshall football players tested positive for COVID-19. The response might be a big test for how this type of thing is handled. They are both asymptomatic as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...rtan-ntp-feeds

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X