Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Coronavirus or riots? Why would either prevent someone from enjoying sports?

I ask him to clarify his remarks and he said the following:
    Many businesses support local college athletics through major booster donations, fund raising, as do many businesses support the overall fan's experiences through their restaurants, bars and pubs at professional events.
    He said that he was fully in agreement with the sports stars quick condiment of the horrible actions that happened to George Floyd and too wanted justice paid for what happened. What has disappointed him in a big way is the lack of response by the same sports stars to the riot's looting and destruction to businesses within their own communities and cities to many of the same locations which support their sports the most. Their silence has been deafening. So, he's stepping away from the sports he's loved and supported in many ways over the years, with hopes of better days ahead.

This is known as collateral damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

I ask him to clarify his remarks and he said the following:
      Many businesses support local college athletics through major booster donations, fund raising, as do many businesses support the overall fan's experiences through their restaurants, bars and pubs at professional events.
      He said that he was fully in agreement with the sports stars quick condiment of the horrible actions that happened to George Floyd and too wanted justice paid for what happened. What has disappointed him in a big way is the lack of response by the same sports stars to the riot's looting and destruction to businesses within their own communities and cities to many of the same locations which support their sports the most. Their silence has been deafening. So, he's stepping away from the sports he's loved and supported in many ways over the years, with hopes of better days ahead.

This is known as collateral damage.
      That's... one way to view the situation, I guess. All I can say in response is that I hope he finds what he's looking for after stepping away.

Sports will continue on without him, though.

Comment

• Anyway, back on track - three Oklahoma State players tested positive for coronavirus after attending peaceful protests:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ort-to-campus/

Comment

• Seems like this season will end with one big asterisk. Players out sick, not full schedules and maybe games cancelled. Staying healthy will have a whole new meaning for teams to succeed.

Comment

• Yes sports will continue, but it could be at a much limited level than in the past. With the combination of the COVID 19 and the out of control looting and destruction, he may have a point that the true glory days of sports may have ended. Pretty sad situation.

Comment

Yes sports will continue, but it could be at a much limited level than in the past. With the combination of the COVID 19 and the out of control looting and destruction, he may have a point that the true glory days of sports may have ended. Pretty sad situation.
              I don't follow the logic - but to each their own.

My point was, sports will continue with or without his support. If he chooses to step away - that's his choice, but it's not going to change anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                Seems like this season will end with one big asterisk. Players out sick, not full schedules and maybe games cancelled. Staying healthy will have a whole new meaning for teams to succeed.
                Yeah. I'm not confident we'll even have a season this year at this point, to be honest. Sounds like talks between the MLB and MLBPA have broken down and there's some doubt as to if they'll play this year, although it's not over yet.

Comment

Yes sports will continue, but it could be at a much limited level than in the past. With the combination of the COVID 19 and the out of control looting and destruction, he may have a point that the true glory days of sports may have ended. Pretty sad situation.
                  College football dealt with a much more difficult situation once before when it and baseball were the only real spectator sports....

https://vault.si.com/vault/1971/12/0...ll-went-to-war

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

College football dealt with a much more difficult situation once before when it and baseball were the only real spectator sports....

https://vault.si.com/vault/1971/12/0...ll-went-to-war
                    I don't get how the rioting (or the supposed lack of acknowledgement from athletes) is harming college football. The coronavirus will only affect this season.

I think it's just the "good ole' days" mentality, which I never understood. I don't have the moral superiority to tell someone what to do with their money and time - but the whole thing is just weird to me.

Comment

• Knowing him, I don't think he was speaking from a good ole boy point of view. He was just stating how he feels at the moment based on the lack of condiment from the sports stars of the negative actions which destroyed lots of businesses, many of which supported both college and pro sports. The ramifications could easily be much lower support not only in the ways of donations, but also for ticket sales to events, sponsorship through advertising, television viewership, bowl games, playoff and tournament bids, etc etc. There could be big changes effecting sports as we knew them. ...

Comment

Knowing him, I don't think he was speaking from a good ole boy point of view. He was just stating how he feels at the moment based on the lack of condiment from the sports stars of the negative actions which destroyed lots of businesses, many of which supported both college and pro sports. The ramifications could easily be much lower support not only in the ways of donations, but also for ticket sales to events, sponsorship through advertising, television viewership, bowl games, playoff and tournament bids, etc etc. There could be big changes effecting sports as we knew them. ...
                        Live attendance will be a long grind, 2-4 yrs to get back IF C19 doesn't spike again. Pro sports can probably help themselves by at least temporarily lowering ticket prices. IMO, viewership will come back somewhat quicker but sponsors may not feel ready to spend, spend, spend on games with less than thrilling optics. D2 FB and BB are behind the 8 BALL because they don't have massive fan bases and are virtually never on commercial media. First things first let's get FB finished in the fall if possible.

Comment

Knowing him, I don't think he was speaking from a good ole boy point of view. He was just stating how he feels at the moment based on the lack of condiment from the sports stars of the negative actions which destroyed lots of businesses, many of which supported both college and pro sports. The ramifications could easily be much lower support not only in the ways of donations, but also for ticket sales to events, sponsorship through advertising, television viewership, bowl games, playoff and tournament bids, etc etc. There could be big changes effecting sports as we knew them. ...
                          That makes a little more sense I suppose - although I'm still not on the same page with the athlete acknowledgement. Is he monitoring every athlete's Twitter account? How does he know they aren't condemning the rioting? Gunner Oslzewski posted today that he is not in support of the rioting or homicides - does that count for anything? What about other causes athletes are failing to condemn? The water crisis in Flint is far more egregious than any recent looting activity, and it's been going on for six years - yet we hardly hear about it anymore. I can't speak from an athlete's POV - but I think they're more focused on the bigger of the two issues at the moment.

One of my favorite stores in Minneapolis was looted - but thankfully spared from arson. It will take them a bit, but they'll be back up and running. They supported the local skateboarding scene in Minneapolis, and to have them offline for a while is pretty sad. So I get where he's coming from on that end.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

Factually correct that "no threat" is inaccurate. But .0004% fatality from COVID versus .08% from all cause fatality is 200 times more likely from something other that COVID.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Live attendance will be a long grind, 2-4 yrs to get back IF C19 doesn't spike again. Pro sports can probably help themselves by at least temporarily lowering ticket prices. IMO, viewership will come back somewhat quicker but sponsors may not feel ready to spend, spend, spend on games with less than thrilling optics. D2 FB and BB are behind the 8 BALL because they don't have massive fan bases and are virtually never on commercial media. First things first let's get FB finished in the fall if possible.
                              Honestly I think you may be surprised how few people really pay attention to the gloom and doomers. I would have zero apprehension attending a sporting event. And hoping I can do just that in the fall.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X