Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argos and Texas A & M Commerce just signed home and home contract beginning this year with Lions coming to Blue Wahoo stadium for opening game of season for both teams on Thursday night, September 3 at 7 pm. Best home opener for Argos in school history and a heavyweight slugfest to open D2 season that deserves national TV showcase coverage.

Comment

• I hope football is open by then!
      <>

Comment

• With MLB, NBA, NHL and some FCS Schools reporting having problems with COVID 19. Now the NFL is telling players not to have player only practices for fear of spreading COVID 19 amongst themselves. The future is not looking good for sports this fall. Even Golf has a player infected. NASCAR and the PBR seem to be doing ok so far. I know Commerce and West Fla. fans are looking forward to opening the DIV. 2 football season with a BIG splash! If it rains heavily, I will go with, hum, both are passing teams. Well who can run the football better?

Comment

• short answer: unlikely

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
            short answer: unlikely
            I think you're right. Cases are supposed to jump dramatically in the fall and winter.
            And then there is this;

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/us/cl...rnd/index.html

<>

Comment

• Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

I think you're right. Cases are supposed to jump dramatically in the fall and winter.
              And then there is this;

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/us/cl...rnd/index.html

I think absolutes are the wrong way to go. There will be sports, of some variety, in some conferences but it will range from complete,shortened seasons to part seasons that stop to seasons that never start. My guess is South/Southwest will make the most effort to play, West coast will pack it in part way and the Midwest/East will be a mixed bag of the two. Time will tell. I'm still trying to get my head around the alma mater's announced plan to open dorms with "NO VISITORS ALLOWED" !?!?

Comment

• Comment

• Hospitalizations are up in 17 states this morning...11 states set new records for cases...IF sports start this fall, the seasons will be cut short just like in the Spring. How many lawsuits can Colleges and Universities afford?!

Comment

• I bet your opinion will change if/when it affects you personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I bet your opinion will change if/when it affects you personally.
                      Curiously my experience in a a different sort of catastrophe seems to indicate otherwise. Being old enough to remember the first death in VIETNAM, one would suppose that as the numbers of KIA rose and touched more families resistance to the continuation would have risen. But to a large degree it didn't and in fact given a choice in '72 between immediate withdrawal or continuation, 49 of 50 states said push on. People become inured to regular death and illness. How else to explain almost no outcry to correct close to 40,000 traffic deaths per year. People's emotional health and ability to slog on through life requires that they be able to ignore some things that when viewed close up by individuals appear unbearable. 60% of Europe's population died during the BLACK PLAGUE, but the remainder pushed on. Many areas of the country are making things a hell of a lot more difficult than they have to be, but as far as I know being an $#@hole isn't illegal.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Hospitalizations are up in 17 states this morning...11 states set new records for cases...IF sports start this fall, the seasons will be cut short just like in the Spring. How many lawsuits can Colleges and Universities afford?!
                        Couple of points/questions:

1. Since we seem either unwilling or unable to track recoveries with any degree of accuracy, the metric I track is deaths. From the several tracking sites I've looked at, deaths from Covid are trending down, From April 21 when we had the daily high of 2,693 deaths the line has been "death line" has been heading down pretty dramatically. Yesterdays one day reported deaths of 267 was the lowest one day death total since March 23 (180 deaths).

2. Much has been said about case "spikes" and "new hot spots" with a lot of focus being on Florida, Oklahoma and NC. Worth pointing out that the hottest of the new hot spots is California with 5 straight days at 3500 new cases reported.

3. Buuuutttt...Even though several states are seeing a spike in new cases, these spikes pail in comparison to the 12,000+ new cases we were seeing regularly from NY and NJ during the height of their outbreaks.

4. Opinion here. The quarantine was intended to do a couple of things. Chief among those was to buy us time so we better understood just what Covid was and who in our communities were the most at risk. I think it achieved that pretty well. Also, it was intended to buy us time so we could develop an acurate method of testing and effective treatment protocols for people who who contract the virus. I don't think quarantine was ever intended to be a steady state for the country as a whole but certain segments of the population would be wise to adhere to most of the restrictions (let's call that quarantine lite).

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I bet your opinion will change if/when it affects you personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Curiously my experience in a a different sort of catastrophe seems to indicate otherwise. Being old enough to remember the first death in VIETNAM, one would suppose that as the numbers of KIA rose and touched more families resistance to the continuation would have risen. But to a large degree it didn't and in fact given a choice in '72 between immediate withdrawal or continuation, 49 of 50 states said push on. People become inured to regular death and illness. How else to explain almost no outcry to correct close to 40,000 traffic deaths per year. People's emotional health and ability to slog on through life requires that they be able to ignore some things that when viewed close up by individuals appear unbearable. 60% of Europe's population died during the BLACK PLAGUE, but the remainder pushed on. Many areas of the country are making things a hell of a lot more difficult than they have to be, but as far as I know being an $#@hole isn't illegal.
                            We are in total agreement there, but generally speaking people tend to feel differently when a tragedy affects their lives personally.

That's the beauty/horror of life I guess, not to get too philosophical.

Comment

• i think the season will start. Looking at number of positive covid cases among LSU and Clemson football players I wonder how many games will be able to be played. Estimates are 40% of positive cases are asymptomatic. Results in 14 day quarantine for teammates in contact. Also how do you limit player contact during week with rest of population that could result in positive test on game day?

one team had 1 positive test on first day of camp. One week later they had 2nd positive test, which triggered self quarantine for 14 days for all contacts.

Making a statistical SWAG, Will more than 5 complete games be able to be played?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Couple of points/questions:

1. Since we seem either unwilling or unable to track recoveries with any degree of accuracy, the metric I track is deaths. From the several tracking sites I've looked at, deaths from Covid are trending down, From April 21 when we had the daily high of 2,693 deaths the line has been "death line" has been heading down pretty dramatically. Yesterdays one day reported deaths of 267 was the lowest one day death total since March 23 (180 deaths).

2. Much has been said about case "spikes" and "new hot spots" with a lot of focus being on Florida, Oklahoma and NC. Worth pointing out that the hottest of the new hot spots is California with 5 straight days at 3500 new cases reported.

3. Buuuutttt...Even though several states are seeing a spike in new cases, these spikes pail in comparison to the 12,000+ new cases we were seeing regularly from NY and NJ during the height of their outbreaks.

4. Opinion here. The quarantine was intended to do a couple of things. Chief among those was to buy us time so we better understood just what Covid was and who in our communities were the most at risk. I think it achieved that pretty well. Also, it was intended to buy us time so we could develop an acurate method of testing and effective treatment protocols for people who who contract the virus. I don't think quarantine was ever intended to be a steady state for the country as a whole but certain segments of the population would be wise to adhere to most of the restrictions (let's call that quarantine lite).
                                1 & 2 In April Covid was strong in WA, and the NE. We went through 3 months of quarantine, flattening our curve while the rest of the country was just seeing their first cases. Now 17 states have rising hospitalizations, which we now know only happens in serious cases. 11 states just reported record daily case numbers. With the exceptions of Florida and California, many of those states are seeing THEIR first spikes.

3. Per the Financial Times rolling 7 day average, US cases are now rising again...

4. I agree, but what do we do when all of the hospital beds are taken by Covid patients?!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X