X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    *snip*
    Another good analysis.

People either forget or don't want to acknowledge - but the initial shutdowns were not intended to stop the virus as we were past that point. At least in Minnesota, the leadership was very vocal about shutting things down to slow the spread of the virus. This allowed officials both in government and healthcare to reinforce their infrastructure. Their main goal was to increase the number of ICU beds, which I believe they did successfully. They also increased testing capacity past what it was, and I believe secured some PPE.

Being in Minnesota though - we've already been "socially distancing" since November. We had a mild winter, but it's winter nonetheless. The pandemic hit at a pretty bad time for us. Honestly, I wish the governor would have shut things down a couple weeks sooner than he did while it was still cold outside. After it warmed up, the streets were filled with people. It's leveled off to normal now, but I was curious to see what the reaction was going to be.

Comment

• Well, a lot of of my football fanatic friends (typically very loyal to their teams) are saying that they no longer believe there will be a 2020 football season. I'm beginning to hear a growing number of them saying that under the present (and possibly future) situations, they're really starting to not even care, believing there's going to be so many changes from what the traditional football day and the game itself may be. Something I never thought I would hear.

Comment

• The NFL yesterday canceled the Hall of Fame game and postponed induction ceremony until a later date. I believe this is just the start of football being canceled. Is the rest of the NFL preseason games on the chopping block? We will know for sure in about 2 weeks when camps are supposed to open. College football has about 4 weeks to make a decision. Air Force started selling season tickets yesterday. CSU Pueblo is suppose to start selling tickets by mid July. Hold on to your seats folks, it's almost show time.

Comment

• With Morehouse canceling all fall sports, it's just a matter of time before others follow suit. With Hawaii, New York, New Jersey and Conn. having 14 quarantine days after entering these states with Hawaii being the most restricted, cracks are forming in the football schedules.

Comment

• CSU Pueblo return on July 1st.
            https://www.chieftain.com/sports/202...-1-return-date

Comment

• Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
              The NFL yesterday canceled the Hall of Fame game and postponed induction ceremony until a later date. I believe this is just the start of football being canceled. Is the rest of the NFL preseason games on the chopping block? We will know for sure in about 2 weeks when camps are supposed to open. College football has about 4 weeks to make a decision. Air Force started selling season tickets yesterday. CSU Pueblo is suppose to start selling tickets by mid July. Hold on to your seats folks, it's almost show time.
              It wouldn't surprise me if that is more about the induction than having a game with no fans. This makes sense more on the induction level to me where it is a celebration as well as a game. Remember they also canceled the game a few years ago for a sloppy field and talk of no longer even having the game.

Comment

• Comment

• Are you referring to this? Don't see how this could determine anything.?
                  <>

Comment

• If we'd just stop testing we wouldn't have new cases, duh. It's so easy!

Comment

• Can you provide some resources to support what you're saying? I'm not familiar with a lot of what you said and I follow this pretty closely being a healthcare professional who is a supplier with an essential government contractor.
                      Cool Story Bro

Comment

• Yep there are false positives and false negatives. However, one only has to look at hospitals in Houston filling up with young people between 30 and 50. Those are real cases. If knuckleheads continue not to wear masks, it could result in a huge increase in health insurance rates for everyone. I believe in freedom and responsibility. If u don't wear a mask you are contributory negligent and insurance co pay should go up accordingly. Nothing like a $50k hospital bill to cause an attitude adjustment. One guy spent 30 days in ICU and Bill was 1.1M.
                        We cannot afford to shutdown again.
                        Each taxpayer's share of national debt plus unfunded liabilities ( social security Medicare, medicaid) is $787,000. Add in unfunded state pensions ( in ohio that is another $60,000).
                        That does not include private consumer debt. Folks, we are broke.

COVID costs will only make it worse unless we protect ourselves.

??????It is long shot that we will have a complete season in any sport, with or without spectators.

Comment

Each taxpayer's share of national debt plus unfunded liabilities ( social security Medicare, medicaid) is $787,000. Add in unfunded state pensions ( in ohio that is another $60,000).
                          I just want to clarify this: The national debt is not the same as a mortgage or a business loan. It is better understood as the total number of dollars currently in circulation, and "your family's share" is what you'd have if those dollars were evenly distributed. The US can get more money at any time, more or less for free, thanks to the dollar's position as the world's reserve currency. To pay off the debt in it's entirety, the treasury would have to stop printing new money and take every dollar out of circulation, which would be a much larger disaster than the big number getting a little bigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post

I just want to clarify this: The national debt is not the same as a mortgage or a business loan. It is better understood as the total number of dollars currently in circulation, and "your family's share" is what you'd have if those dollars were evenly distributed. The US can get more money at any time, more or less for free, thanks to the dollar's position as the world's reserve currency. To pay off the debt in it's entirety, the treasury would have to stop printing new money and take every dollar out of circulation, which would be a much larger disaster than the big number getting a little bigger.
                            Don't want to hijack this thread, but I thought others might be interested in accessing resources with alternative views on the topic, given that Medicare runs out of $ in 2026 and Social Security Trust Fund is zero in 2035 (before COVID).

You raise very interesting and thought-provoking points. Unlike a family mortgage, the US can print more money at any time, as it is fiat money (it is worth a dollar because I say, and you believe that it is worth a dollar, as it is not backed by gold, silver, etc). We go to jail for printing our own money LOL.

As the world's reserve currency, it gives us a tremendous advantage, as long as investors have confidence in the US dollar and do not demand higher interest rates. Even at today's record low rates, the interest on the debt is 9% of the federal budget. BTW, The world's reserve currency status allows us to enforce foreign policy through economic sanctions, rather than war. However, Other countries are pushing to replace the dollar as the reserve currency, with China leading the charge.

Japan, the world's greatest debtor nation as a % of GDP, recently had their bonds downgraded, despite promising that they are on target to balance their budget by 2026. The USA is approaching the debt to GDP ratio of Greece when it defaulted.

I had to do some research on your points. Some organizations with a critical interest in understanding debt and its effects are the Council on Foreign Relations and many non-partisan economic think tanks. They have expressed significant concern about the dangers of the national debt.

Council on Foreign Relations
                            https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/national-debt-dilemma

Peter Peterson Foundation - non-partisan think tank.
                            https://www.pgpf.org/what-we-are-doing

Comment

Yep there are false positives and false negatives. However, one only has to look at hospitals in Houston filling up with young people between 30 and 50. Those are real cases. If knuckleheads continue not to wear masks, it could result in a huge increase in health insurance rates for everyone. I believe in freedom and responsibility. If u don't wear a mask you are contributory negligent and insurance co pay should go up accordingly. Nothing like a $50k hospital bill to cause an attitude adjustment. One guy spent 30 days in ICU and Bill was 1.1M.
                              We cannot afford to shutdown again.

COVID costs will only make it worse unless we protect ourselves.

??????It is long shot that we will have a complete season in any sport, with or without spectators.

Comment

• The Ivy League has asked permission form the NCAA form to move football to the spring. This may well be the direction taken by other schools if the virus continues to spike in places like Texas,

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X