Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I posted the in Co-19 tread, but just heard that VSU will open up classes this fall, but will be shortened semester.... so?
    <>

Comment

• Originally posted by catatonic View Post
      The Ivy League has asked permission form the NCAA form to move football to the spring. This may well be the direction taken by other schools if the virus continues to spike in places like Texas,
      Not a fan. I just believe that injuries would go way up the following September. This isn't darts. It's a physical sport after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Not a fan. I just believe that injuries would go way up the following September. This isn't darts. It's a physical sport after all.
        Think of it as an extended spring practice.

Comment

• Cracks are starting to form in if we have a 2020 football season. With the SAIC canceling the football season and no definitive word on when or if we will have training camps make you wonder if the powers to be just can not make a decision of yes or no. The NFL has canceled 2 preseason games to shorten the season. They also told the players to not practice among themselves. Now the distractors of team nicknames like Clan or Redskins. Well, The powers to be have just about 2 weeks to decide. All anyone now is doing is guessing on what will happen. Again, my opening questions need to be answered that started this thread.

Comment

• I talked with someone inside Valdosta Stare football. They are now having volunteer workouts. Source said most of the team showed up, even walk-ons.
            Coach Goff will always be prepared.. but I highly doubt there will be collegiate football this year.
            <>

Comment

• Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
              Cracks are starting to form in if we have a 2020 football season. With the SAIC canceling the football season and no definitive word on when or if we will have training camps make you wonder if the powers to be just can not make a decision of yes or no. The NFL has canceled 2 preseason games to shorten the season. They also told the players to not practice among themselves. Now the distractors of team nicknames like Clan or Redskins. Well, The powers to be have just about 2 weeks to decide. All anyone now is doing is guessing on what will happen. Again, my opening questions need to be answered that started this thread.
              The SIAC hasn't canceled (yet). Someone reported that prematurely, and the SIAC issued a statement that it hadn't decided yet. https://thesiac.com/news/2020/7/2/ge...20-sports.aspx

Comment

• The Ivy League has announced that there will be NO fall sports, including football !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom
                Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

• Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
                  The Ivy League has announced that there will be NO fall sports, including football !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom
                  I heard on the radio today that so far the NFL hasn't decided to move the draft from April if football is played in the spring. If NFL plays as scheduled, but NCAA moves to spring I see that as a win win for fans for our football fix especially as experts say a vaccine should be ready around the first of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
                    The Ivy League has announced that there will be NO fall sports, including football !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom
                    Curious question is will seniors at the IVIES hang around considering that a lot of them have REAL JOBS lined up in law, medicine and business. A limited few may have possible NFL plans but the vast majority have been studying hard to set themselves up for life. Maybe if they play in the spring, but waiting to fall '21 is probably not in the cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Curious question is will seniors at the IVIES hang around considering that a lot of them have REAL JOBS lined up in law, medicine and business. A limited few may have possible NFL plans but the vast majority have been studying hard to set themselves up for life. Maybe if they play in the spring, but waiting to fall '21 is probably not in the cards.
                      I was wandering on that same line. If a senior wanted to leave would they release him and would NCAA offer waiver of sitting out a year. Otherwise, D2 or other level would be only options.

Comment

• I give it until July 15 for the other conferences to make a decision on fall sports. Dang, NO Harvard/Yale game this year!

Comment

• For the sake of discussion, let's keep in mind that a lot of these decisions are financial ones, not public health decisions. The Ivy League doesn't need athletics, ok? All its kids are sticking it out, sports or no sports. They aren't going to see a drop in enrollment. California schools are mostly large enrollment, state-funded schools with no football. They aren't affected much by losing a few volleyball and soccer players. What we're concerned with, on this board, are primarily low enrollment, schools (under 10k), with lower to middle class student populations, which depend on football for a significant percentage of their tuition dollars. Cancelling football might cause a loss of 25-50 students who might go elsewhere if there are other places to play. For some D2 schools that's as much as 3-4% of enrollment. And then you throw in the other sports and we're talking massive revenue hits if we cancel. It's not just the gameday revenue that drives D2 sports. Just some perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

There is the grad school option - although I'm not sure how viable that is for the Harvard kids.

This is way outside of my knowledge base, so I'm just speculating - but my guess is that the NCAA would still require students taking the waiver to be enrolled in courses. Aside from grad school, that means delaying graduation for a year. Would these schools even allow students to take a bunch of random courses to fulfill the NCAA's requirement? I know they can be very strict on how long it takes to graduate. Some of these schools do offer certificate programs, so that may be an option too.

Just thinking "out loud" - I agree with you though, I don't see many past a few staying around.

Comment

• Could just have the Gulf South Conference play their season and whoever wins we declare them the National Champions. That is what we basically do already. See ya in the ship Valdosta. Since we are the champs y'all have to come to Pensacola to get the belt.
                              * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                              * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                              * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                              * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

• Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
                                For the sake of discussion, let's keep in mind that a lot of these decisions are financial ones, not public health decisions. The Ivy League doesn't need athletics, ok? All its kids are sticking it out, sports or no sports. They aren't going to see a drop in enrollment. California schools are mostly large enrollment, state-funded schools with no football. They aren't affected much by losing a few volleyball and soccer players. What we're concerned with, on this board, are primarily low enrollment, schools (under 10k), with lower to middle class student populations, which depend on football for a significant percentage of their tuition dollars. Cancelling football might cause a loss of 25-50 students who might go elsewhere if there are other places to play. For some D2 schools that's as much as 3-4% of enrollment. And then you throw in the other sports and we're talking massive revenue hits if we cancel. It's not just the gameday revenue that drives D2 sports. Just some perspective.
                                I'd certainly agree that finances will play a role, but I doubt that football is a positive revenue generator at most D2 schools. Paying crowds are sparse at many places. Alumni donations won't be affected much by the loss of a single season. On the expense side, travel to away games is extremely expensive, at least in the NSIC (hotels, meals, bus charters). Equipment and supply costs should not be underestimated (priced a helmet lately?).

Canceling a program (like Crookston and St Cloud did) would unquestionably cause a significant student loss like you describe above, but if it is just a single season I think the majority of players would stick around. Could they even realistically transfer to another school to play this fall at this point? You may lose some incoming freshman, but I doubt 50% of a team would leave due to a canceled season.

As is often the case, some schools would be hurt worse than others. A small private school like University of Sioux Falls might take a significant enrollment and financial hit. A school like Minnesota-Moorhead would hardly notice...might even come out ahead financially by not playing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X