Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
    For the sake of discussion, let's keep in mind that a lot of these decisions are financial ones, not public health decisions. The Ivy League doesn't need athletics, ok? All its kids are sticking it out, sports or no sports. They aren't going to see a drop in enrollment. California schools are mostly large enrollment, state-funded schools with no football. They aren't affected much by losing a few volleyball and soccer players. What we're concerned with, on this board, are primarily low enrollment, schools (under 10k), with lower to middle class student populations, which depend on football for a significant percentage of their tuition dollars. Cancelling football might cause a loss of 25-50 students who might go elsewhere if there are other places to play. For some D2 schools that's as much as 3-4% of enrollment. And then you throw in the other sports and we're talking massive revenue hits if we cancel. It's not just the gameday revenue that drives D2 sports. Just some perspective.
    I agree. Each Ivie has in excess of $2B in endowment funds, so this makes it easier to adsorb such a "hit." And don't underestimate the "marketing" aspect of having football for many schools, hard to place a $$$ figure.....

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by cat fan View Post

I'd certainly agree that finances will play a role, but I doubt that football is a positive revenue generator at most D2 schools. Paying crowds are sparse at many places. Alumni donations won't be affected much by the loss of a single season. On the expense side, travel to away games is extremely expensive, at least in the NSIC (hotels, meals, bus charters). Equipment and supply costs should not be underestimated (priced a helmet lately?).

Canceling a program (like Crookston and St Cloud did) would unquestionably cause a significant student loss like you describe above, but if it is just a single season I think the majority of players would stick around. Could they even realistically transfer to another school to play this fall at this point? You may lose some incoming freshman, but I doubt 50% of a team would leave due to a canceled season.

As is often the case, some schools would be hurt worse than others. A small private school like University of Sioux Falls might take a significant enrollment and financial hit. A school like Minnesota-Moorhead would hardly notice...might even come out ahead financially by not playing.
        Yeah D2s aren't making money on gameday, but every on campus student is worth 20 grand. Tuition alone is 10-15k most places. They may not leave school for good, but if it were me, I'd have a lot of questions about whether or not I need to keep paying for school this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
          For the sake of discussion, let's keep in mind that a lot of these decisions are financial ones, not public health decisions. The Ivy League doesn't need athletics, ok? All its kids are sticking it out, sports or no sports. They aren't going to see a drop in enrollment. California schools are mostly large enrollment, state-funded schools with no football. They aren't affected much by losing a few volleyball and soccer players. What we're concerned with, on this board, are primarily low enrollment, schools (under 10k), with lower to middle class student populations, which depend on football for a significant percentage of their tuition dollars. Cancelling football might cause a loss of 25-50 students who might go elsewhere if there are other places to play. For some D2 schools that's as much as 3-4% of enrollment. And then you throw in the other sports and we're talking massive revenue hits if we cancel. It's not just the gameday revenue that drives D2 sports. Just some perspective.

Comment

• Comment

• Do us all a favor. Go to your favorite bar and breathe deeply will ya?!

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Do us all a favor. Go to your favorite bar and breathe deeply will ya?!
                It's funny how the ones not on the front lines are the first to call the coronavirus a hoax.

I'm not on the front lines, so I'll stick with the scientists over the fear-mongering internet "journalists."

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

It's funny how the ones not on the front lines are the first to call the coronavirus a hoax.

I'm not on the front lines, so I'll stick with the scientists over the fear-mongering internet "journalists."
                  Yeah, I know a few people who work at UM hospital in Ann Arbor and they was very nearly at capacity for a stretch this spring. And mind you, AA also has St Joseph hospital and a VA hospital here as well, and they were both full with Covid 19 cases, and can probably tell you about the refrigerated trucks that were brought in to hold the excessive number of bodies. From what I've gathered, they're mad at everyone who's not wearing a mask to go into a store or be out and about. Or going bars or big parties like the Jobbie Nooner in Lake St. Clair or the one up on Torch Lake that they've said that there's already been a couple of people that went that had the Rona.

Comment

• I have come to the conclusion that the football season (all levels) will be canceled for this fall and not played in the spring of 2021! Those thinking of the financial hardships on the schools must also think of the players health. 20 to 30 year olds are getting the most positive cases right now and hospitals are filling up fast in the hardest hit regions like the southeast. Sorry SEC, and GSC. Now we can look at the schools that probably wont survive with no football. Donations to athletics and scholarships will probably be diminished or dry up! A face mask on the football helmet will prevent injuries unless you get your eye poked. A cloth or paper facemask for the nose and mouth will probably have to be changed out after every series due to sweat. Due the football officials throw a flag for the improper wear of a mask not covering the nose and mouth. What would be the penalty? How much risk due you give the players health just to play football and make some money. Sure the schools are going to lose big money by still having those players on scholarships. Now we will see who makes the correct decisions and the bad decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
                      I have come to the conclusion that the football season (all levels) will be canceled for this fall and not played in the spring of 2021! Those thinking of the financial hardships on the schools must also think of the players health. 20 to 30 year olds are getting the most positive cases right now and hospitals are filling up fast in the hardest hit regions like the southeast. Sorry SEC, and GSC. Now we can look at the schools that probably wont survive with no football. Donations to athletics and scholarships will probably be diminished or dry up! A face mask on the football helmet will prevent injuries unless you get your eye poked. A cloth or paper facemask for the nose and mouth will probably have to be changed out after every series due to sweat. Due the football officials throw a flag for the improper wear of a mask not covering the nose and mouth. What would be the penalty? How much risk due you give the players health just to play football and make some money. Sure the schools are going to lose big money by still having those players on scholarships. Now we will see who makes the correct decisions and the bad decisions.
                      https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...son-this-year/

Comment

• I wonder if these leagues/teams had the foresight to take out some form of insurance against games/seasons being cancelled ? If they did it as recently as January they probably got decent rates, after February don't think you could buy it at any price.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I wonder if these leagues/teams had the foresight to take out some form of insurance against games/seasons being cancelled ? If they did it as recently as January they probably got decent rates, after February don't think you could buy it at any price.
                          Good question.

Comment

I wonder if these leagues/teams had the foresight to take out some form of insurance against games/seasons being cancelled ? If they did it as recently as January they probably got decent rates, after February don't think you could buy it at any price.
                            The contracts for insurance probably has a clause for pandemics. They probably can not get any insurance after Feburary or March for the loss of the season.

Comment

• He was one of the guys that makes me feel the way i do.

Comment

I don't seeing D2 football being a significant revenue source.
                                <>

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X