Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

I don't seeing D2 football being a significant revenue source.
    I was referring to the possible SEC shutdown which would be a gigantic revenue hit !!

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Yeah, I know a few people who work at UM hospital in Ann Arbor and they was very nearly at capacity for a stretch this spring. And mind you, AA also has St Joseph hospital and a VA hospital here as well, and they were both full with Covid 19 cases, and can probably tell you about the refrigerated trucks that were brought in to hold the excessive number of bodies. From what I've gathered, they're mad at everyone who's not wearing a mask to go into a store or be out and about. Or going bars or big parties like the Jobbie Nooner in Lake St. Clair or the one up on Torch Lake that they've said that there's already been a couple of people that went that had the Rona.
      I saw videos of the trucks in Brooklyn. My understanding is that the original wave overwhelmed local health care centers to the point where it was necessary to store the deceased in semi-trailers.

It was really a sad situation. I probably need to do a better job of protecting myself in public.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I saw videos of the trucks in Brooklyn. My understanding is that the original wave overwhelmed local health care centers to the point where it was necessary to store the deceased in semi-trailers.

It was really a sad situation. I probably need to do a better job of protecting myself in public.
        It wasn't as much the health care system as the mortuary system. Many people had not expected to be scheduling funerals and the funeral homes were way beyond full. That was why so many were being mass buried, temporarily, on Hart Island in the Bronx. It was insanely difficult but thankfully has been brought under control as much as possible. Who knows what the future holds.

Comment

• A second FCS conference cancels fall sports

BREAKING: According to multiple reports, the @PatriotLeague will cancel all fall sports in 2020 and try to resume football in the spring.

Basketball and other winter sports are not affected.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

It wasn't as much the health care system as the mortuary system. Many people had not expected to be scheduling funerals and the funeral homes were way beyond full. That was why so many were being mass buried, temporarily, on Hart Island in the Bronx. It was insanely difficult but thankfully has been brought under control as much as possible. Who knows what the future holds.
            I'd heard both, but yeah - I read some pretty heavy stories coming out of the end-of-life industries over there. Really scary stuff.

Comment

• we won't be having any college sports in 2020-21. let's just be honest, nothing is going to change in the next 12 months and the reality is the folks running higher education and colleges haven't a clue about economics. Most schools at the D2 lever without all the student athletes on campus will probably lose half their enrollment and have to make massive layoffs, making the small college model impossible. Then the idiots making these decisions really won't have jobs. They are too dumb undertand that one simple reality. Kids who are going to come to colleges like SMSU from places like Florida and Arizona and California are not going to show up without that sports connection. Enrollment will drop a lot. Budgets are screwed. Layoffs coming.

Importantly, nothing is going to change in the next 6 months as the vuris goes. It is will come and go. Spike and fall. So might as well accept now winter sports either. It WILL ALWAYS be too dangerous.

And as for college towns and their bars, hotels, and restaurants, not to mention housing rental and apertment markets.... what a mess of closed up and empty buildings. This will take years to recover and small towns like Marshall will never be the same without a vibrant college and the money it brings. Glad I don't own a $400,000 house.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                we won't be having any college sports in 2020-21. let's just be honest, nothing is going to change in the next 12 months and the reality is the folks running higher education and colleges haven't a clue about economics. Most schools at the D2 lever without all the student athletes on campus will probably lose half their enrollment and have to make massive layoffs, making the small college model impossible. Then the idiots making these decisions really won't have jobs. They are too dumb undertand that one simple reality. Kids who are going to come to colleges like SMSU from places like Florida and Arizona and California are not going to show up without that sports connection. Enrollment will drop a lot. Budgets are screwed. Layoffs coming.

Importantly, nothing is going to change in the next 6 months as the vuris goes. It is will come and go. Spike and fall. So might as well accept now winter sports either. It WILL ALWAYS be too dangerous.

And as for college towns and their bars, hotels, and restaurants, not to mention housing rental and apertment markets.... what a mess of closed up and empty buildings. This will take years to recover and small towns like Marshall will never be the same without a vibrant college and the money it brings. Glad I don't own a $400,000 house.
                There is no perfect solution to manage both the economy and the pandemic.

Most of the small towns around Marshall are already a mess of closed up storefronts and empty buildings. It gets pretty embarrassing to drive around, but that's due to the local economic policies failing us. Just had a convo about that this weekend with an SBO.

SMSU will be fine based on what I heard. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Comment

we won't be having any college sports in 2020-21. let's just be honest, nothing is going to change in the next 12 months and the reality is the folks running higher education and colleges haven't a clue about economics. Most schools at the D2 lever without all the student athletes on campus will probably lose half their enrollment and have to make massive layoffs, making the small college model impossible. Then the idiots making these decisions really won't have jobs. They are too dumb undertand that one simple reality. Kids who are going to come to colleges like SMSU from places like Florida and Arizona and California are not going to show up without that sports connection. Enrollment will drop a lot. Budgets are screwed. Layoffs coming.

While you make some valid points about the economic impact of not having college sports, I think your enrollment projections are more than a bit alarmist. Might WSC (or SMSU) have two dozen football players who don't choose to come to campus this fall? Yeah, I could see that, with most of the losses being from the incoming freshman class. Maybe it'll even be three dozen, but I bet most players return to continue their education. The upperclassmen, in particular, have too much time invested to quit school now. They'll also lose a few baseball players, maybe one or two from men's basketball,etc.. Women's sports may also suffer some attrition, but probably nothing like football and baseball. The rest of the student body??? They mostly won't care much, at least based on game attendance in recent years. While we on this board are semi-obsessed with sports, the average 20 year old just isn't. Its a generational change.

I do expect small regional universities to be hurt economically this fall, but whether or not sports are played at the D2 level is going to have a very minor overall impact. There will be a local business impact, but your local sports bar will get hurt far more if the NFL or NBA don't play.

Comment

I 'm not sure I agree with this for one reason, researchers are making progress and last week a possible vaccine went into the 3rd phase of testing. Getting a vaccine is the real key and by reports they should have something between December and February. To me, that is a major change in the next 12 months and note that Hoiberg in the B1G tournament had what was the last pandemic of this scale worldwide, Influenza or as it was referred to once the Spanish Flu and we thought nothing about it despite it killing 50 million worldwide and infecting around 500 million for a much higher death rate in the outbreak of 1918.

https://www.history.com/news/1918-am...otten-pandemic for information on the Spanish flu and I think something all the media and government people talking about the flu need to read. It gives hope as we recovered, but also has a look at what not to do too.
                    Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 07-13-2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

There is no perfect solution to manage both the economy and the pandemic.

Most of the small towns around Marshall are already a mess of closed up storefronts and empty buildings. It gets pretty embarrassing to drive around, but that's due to the local economic policies failing us. Just had a convo about that this weekend with an SBO.

SMSU will be fine based on what I heard. I'm not concerned in the slightest.
                      You must know different people than me. My understanding is SMSU would be in real financial trouble without sports this year. I guess we'll know a year from now because sports aren't happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by cat fan View Post

While you make some valid points about the economic impact of not having college sports, I think your enrollment projections are more than a bit alarmist. Might WSC (or SMSU) have two dozen football players who don't choose to come to campus this fall? Yeah, I could see that, with most of the losses being from the incoming freshman class. Maybe it'll even be three dozen, but I bet most players return to continue their education. The upperclassmen, in particular, have too much time invested to quit school now. They'll also lose a few baseball players, maybe one or two from men's basketball,etc.. Women's sports may also suffer some attrition, but probably nothing like football and baseball. The rest of the student body??? They mostly won't care much, at least based on game attendance in recent years. While we on this board are semi-obsessed with sports, the average 20 year old just isn't. Its a generational change.

I do expect small regional universities to be hurt economically this fall, but whether or not sports are played at the D2 level is going to have a very minor overall impact. There will be a local business impact, but your local sports bar will get hurt far more if the NFL or NBA don't play.
                        Unless the NCAA tolls the 10 semester rule many will simply not atttend and will work this year. They aren't going to lose a year. And even if they do toll that, many will be graduating and won't return. I think this has huge ramifications for every team as far as kids staying. leaving, quitting etc. Huge deal.

Comment

• The conferences have had about 6 months to figure out how to play football this fall. Do you think they will in another 6 months for football in the spring? If a vaccine is approved by January 2021, will production make enough for everyone by spring who wants a shot or will it be mandatory? Who gets the shots first? Will Riddell make a football helmet insert so players will always have a mask? Lots of creative and wishful thinkers out there. Will I get royalties from my idea for the inset for the helmets? Probably not!

Comment

• Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
                            The conferences have had about 6 months to figure out how to play football this fall. Do you think they will in another 6 months for football in the spring? If a vaccine is approved by January 2021, will production make enough for everyone by spring who wants a shot or will it be mandatory? Who gets the shots first? Will Riddell make a football helmet insert so players will always have a mask? Lots of creative and wishful thinkers out there. Will I get royalties from my idea for the inset for the helmets? Probably not!
                            You won't on the mask idea, as Oakley and the NFL have done that already.

Comment

You must know different people than me. My understanding is SMSU would be in real financial trouble without sports this year. I guess we'll know a year from now because sports aren't happening.
                              It's really a matter of perspective I guess. From what I've been told, our enrollment (year-to-year) is going to be better than the other MnSCU 7. The eSports program also ballooned more than originally expected. There's also the tenants in SS, they aren't going anywhere.

We don't get any revenue from sports anyway. It will be a financial blow in other areas - certainly, but not bad enough to where we can't recover.

Comment

• Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
                                The conferences have had about 6 months to figure out how to play football this fall. Do you think they will in another 6 months for football in the spring?
                                The main issue is that whether sports can happen depends not on how long it's been, but on how things are going. With all the money involved in pro and D1 college sports, those in charge are trying to avoid looking like idiots by cancelling them well ahead of time, or making some postponement that will involve lots of work and negotiations, when it turns out that they didn't need to. The best way to do that is to make the decision with as much information about how things will be during the sports season as possible, which means doing so as late as possible. No one in March could be certain how things would be this August, but now things are clearer (enough that several conferences and even leagues are starting to take action). No one can really say how things will be in February even now -- the big questions surround the search for a vaccine, which may be anywhere from complete success to utter failure, but how COVID-19 continues to spread, and where and when, and how compliant the general public is with prevention, are still up in the air.

The historical precedents (1918 Spanish Flu, various bubonic plague outbreaks) are of limited use, because of how much society has changed in the meantime. Technological advances have made the world as a whole more susceptible to a quick outbreak -- but also provide tools to mitigate and combat the illness. The net effect of all of this is that epidemiologists are earning their money right now. In six months playing sports might be no big deal. Or literally impossible. Or anywhere in between. Basically, everyone in charge of sports has been playing for time, and until we have some solid answers, that will continue to be their main strategy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X