Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To me, that is not acceptable ... being in the health care field, I'll wear my mask and social distancing for a while, rushed vaccines come with risk.
    <>

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I 'm not sure I agree with this for one reason, researchers are making progress and last week a possible vaccine went into the 3rd phase of testing. Getting a vaccine is the real key and by reports they should have something between December and February. To me, that is a major change in the next 12 months and note that Hoiberg in the B1G tournament had what was the last pandemic of this scale worldwide, Influenza or as it was referred to once the Spanish Flu and we thought nothing about it despite it killing 50 million worldwide and infecting around 500 million for a much higher death rate in the outbreak of 1918.

https://www.history.com/news/1918-am...otten-pandemic for information on the Spanish flu and I think something all the media and government people talking about the flu need to read. It gives hope as we recovered, but also has a look at what not to do too.
      Production of enough doses for the entire country will take time as well...I'm now hoping those who predicted this to be an 18-month event are right...We're 6 months in if you count from cases first diagnosed in January...BTW What's your source for "we thought nothing about it" regarding the Spanish Flu outbreak. There's documentation of loads of people wearing masks and getting outdoors as much as possible. There was a response...Google it...F-it, I did it for you...
      https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...8-flu-pandemic

Comment

• Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

To me, that is not acceptable ... being in the health care field, I'll wear my mask and social distancing for a while, rushed vaccines come with risk.
        i am just not confident that the social distancing and masks will be fail safe as infection rate increases. My understanding is that 3m n95 mask filters to .3 microns while COVID is 0.2 microns and that its primary benefit is to keep me from spreading it to others. Also 6 ft social distancing is a probabilistic number that is being called into question. An unmasked person sneezing in aisle 3 at walmart spreads the virus from aisle 1 through aisle 5, traveling over the tops of displays.
        right now, the Early RNA based vaccine approach causes fever in 50% of subjects. Imho if the fever is controllable that is acceptable risk for those with higher risk factors such as age, diabetes, obesity or type a blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          i am just not confident that the social distancing and masks will be fail safe as infection rate increases. My understanding is that 3m n95 mask filters to .3 microns while COVID is 0.2 microns and that its primary benefit is to keep me from spreading it to others. Also 6 ft social distancing is a probabilistic number that is being called into question. An unmasked person sneezing in aisle 3 at walmart spreads the virus from aisle 1 through aisle 5, traveling over the tops of displays.
          right now, the Early RNA based vaccine approach causes fever in 50% of subjects. Imho if the fever is controllable that is acceptable risk for those with higher risk factors such as age, diabetes, obesity or type a blood.
          It's all we've got right now...Masking, social distancing, washing your hands, and not touching your face is all we have...Anyone remember Yakov Smirnoff? "What a country"!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Production of enough doses for the entire country will take time as well...I'm now hoping those who predicted this to be an 18-month event are right...We're 6 months in if you count from cases first diagnosed in January...BTW What's your source for "we thought nothing about it" regarding the Spanish Flu outbreak. There's documentation of loads of people wearing masks and getting outdoors as much as possible. There was a response...Google it...F-it, I did it for you...
            https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...8-flu-pandemic
            I think you misread what I said. I didn't say we thought nothing of it at the time, but now we think nothing of it. Hoiberg even coached in the B1G tournament with it before the tournament got canceled as an example of this. I believe over time we will see Covid-19 the same way after the hysteria is gone and we have a vaccine and treatments.

Comment

I think you misread what I said. I didn't say we thought nothing of it at the time, but now we think nothing of it. Hoiberg even coached in the B1G tournament with it before the tournament got canceled as an example of this. I believe over time we will see Covid-19 the same way after the hysteria is gone and we have a vaccine and treatments.
              Apologies if I misunderstood...The amount of lives who have paid the price for the lack of leadership will be the lingering legacy of this crisis. I hope that future administrations will remember this as a low point in response...I never thought that throwing paper towels to hurricane victims could be surpassed on the crisis response meter...

Comment

Apologies if I misunderstood...The amount of lives who have paid the price for the lack of leadership will be the lingering legacy of this crisis. I hope that future administrations will remember this as a low point in response...I never thought that throwing paper towels to hurricane victims could be surpassed on the crisis response meter...

Comment

• Comment

I hope we remember it too, as they made a lot of the same mistakes of the Spanish Flu pandemic. I'm glad the death rate won't be at Black Death levels, but seeing what certain states have done that have worked and didn't work would be great for if this happened again. I'm just glad it doesn't look like we'll see 50 million dead worldwide at this point, yet alone a third of the world's population like with the Black Death and hope that we can turn this into a test run for if we see anything like the swine flu with this much of an infection rate in the future

Trump's still denying the numbers, I have to wonder what world he's living in and glad my governor has done a lot more to stop the spread even if I had to stay at home for past 4 months..

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                      I just read that it appears the vaccine is only good for 3 months

Where did you read the 3 months thing? For all practical purposes, they don't even have a completely tested vaccine, so how the hell can they know how long it will last? Plus, there are many vaccines being developed, so how do we even know which one will ultimately be the ONE.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                        I just read that it appears the vaccine is only good for 3 months or so and that side effects increase with multiple vaccinations.
                        And hear in lies a problem. Statements like these are speculative at best.. no matter who says it The premise IS possible, but the result is truly an unkown. I'm not questioning your post. I am questioning the presumption the vaccine has such a short life and it has side effects. This is what bias is doing to this subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post

Where did you read the 3 months thing? For all practical purposes, they don't even have a completely tested vaccine, so how the hell can they know how long it will last? Plus, there are many vaccines being developed, so how do we even know which one will ultimately be the ONE.
                          I'm guessing that it is about how long the common flu shot is. Even Influenza (Spanish Flu) doesn't have a lifetime prevention and even for measles we get booster shots. Anyone who thinks that we need a full life vaccination doesn't understand vaccinations.

Comment

I'm guessing that it is about how long the common flu shot is. Even Influenza (Spanish Flu) doesn't have a lifetime prevention and even for measles we get booster shots. Anyone who thinks that we need a full life vaccination doesn't understand vaccinations.
                            No, I didn't mean a forever vaccation. The regular flu shot is good for that particular strain and lasts the entire flu season ( several months). The reason you get another flu shot each year is because the flu virus next year is different from the flu virus this year.....a different strain. It will be the same for Covid-19 as the strain mutates.

Comment

• The real benefit of masks is to capture the water droplets from a person who is infected (and may not know it), thus preventing the spread.The N95 plus social distancing plus minimizing contact with groups of people (even if 6 ft away) greatly decreases the odds of getting it.

Odds of dying go up with age - in Ohio mortality is 6% of 60-69 group, rising to 12% in 70-79 group (since beginning of pandemic).
                              However, a person in their 30s has a .02% chance of dying overall. However, those odds go up if you are obese, have diabetes or other immune disorder or compromised immune system, or don't have type O blood.

The vocal anti-masker from Port Clinton who recently died in 5 days was 37 years old, and looked to overweight from his facial photo.
                              Wearing masks will:
                              1) reduce rsk of one spreading it to others
                              2) Reduce expensive hospitalizations which will drive all of our health care costs through the roof. ($1.1M for 29 days in ICU).
                              3) Younger people are getting sick, so we might see a small shift downward in median age toward younger people dying on a moving 30 day window.
                              4) Older people are now getting it from their family, due to the fact they think it is safe to not mask around them.
                              5) If folks don't want to wear masks, I would like to see insurance companies raise the co-pay to 50%, due to contributory negligence. With freedom comes responsibility.That would do more to change behavior than passing laws tp wear masks.
                              Last edited by Columbuseer; 07-19-2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• the article about the possible shortterm vaccine results was from cnn

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X