Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

It seems some want to blame all of the protesters for a few rioters but then turn around and not blame all of the police for the few bad cops whom are murdering citizens. Sigh.
    Few eh? Do you understand how riots spread? And when it comes to labels... never-mind. Opinions are set.

Comment

• Words from the would be 2020 (2021 & 2022) Harlon Hill winner. I agree. Let's play football!
      Attached Files
      * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
      * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
      * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
      * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

• Originally posted by West Florida View Post
        Let's play football!
        Those same young men have been known to try drugs or alcohol, drive while impaired and have unprotected sex. Sometimes adults still have to step in and protect their children from themselves. I'm sure a number of parents feel that way toward their offspring.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Protestors from those protests were arrested.

The folks protesting their constitutional right to haircut? Not so much.
          Did the protesters protesting in favor of "haircuts" violate any laws? Did the protesters marching on the federal building? Police can also conduct a Terry Stop which can include handcuffing. Terry stop is a brief (courts have refused to define brief) investigative stop to determine if a crime has been committed OR if a crime is being planned. How this could have worked (not that this is how it actually worked in Portland). People marching on the federal buildings have a history of conducting illegal acts (reasonable suspicion that this group could also be planning on conducting illegal activity). Federal agents are permitted to briefly stop and detain individuals that are part of this group to 1. Identify them and 2. determine if they have conducted illegal activity or are planning on conducting illegal activity. If during that brief stop, the individual is found to have materials consistent with illegal activity (often called "tools of the trade"), they can be arrested for either attempt to commit the illegal activity or conspiracy to commit if others are found to have been involved.

As for Federal Agents conducting law enforcement activity off of federal property, feds are permitted to do so and in fact do so every day. Specific to the Federal Protective Service (government agency responsible for protecting federal facilities, persons working at or doing business at federal facilities and land), they are permitted to conduct law enforcement activity off of federal property if the purpose of that activity is to protect the federal land, the employees who work on that land or persons having business at that land. An example would be a person in Idaho sends an email to the Regional Director of the HUD Office in Seattle. FPS can conduct the full range of investigative steps against the individual in Idaho including the service of warrants, the use of undercover operations and ultimately arrest of the person making the threat even though they may have never even set foot on the HUD facility in Seattle.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Did the protesters protesting in favor of "haircuts" violate any laws? Did the protesters marching on the federal building? Police can also conduct a Terry Stop which can include handcuffing. Terry stop is a brief (courts have refused to define brief) investigative stop to determine if a crime has been committed OR if a crime is being planned. How this could have worked (not that this is how it actually worked in Portland). People marching on the federal buildings have a history of conducting illegal acts (reasonable suspicion that this group could also be planning on conducting illegal activity). Federal agents are permitted to briefly stop and detain individuals that are part of this group to 1. Identify them and 2. determine if they have conducted illegal activity or are planning on conducting illegal activity. If during that brief stop, the individual is found to have materials consistent with illegal activity (often called "tools of the trade"), they can be arrested for either attempt to commit the illegal activity or conspiracy to commit if others are found to have been involved.

As for Federal Agents conducting law enforcement activity off of federal property, feds are permitted to do so and in fact do so every day. Specific to the Federal Protective Service (government agency responsible for protecting federal facilities, persons working at or doing business at federal facilities and land), they are permitted to conduct law enforcement activity off of federal property if the purpose of that activity is to protect the federal land, the employees who work on that land or persons having business at that land. An example would be a person in Idaho sends an email to the Regional Director of the HUD Office in Seattle. FPS can conduct the full range of investigative steps against the individual in Idaho including the service of warrants, the use of undercover operations and ultimately arrest of the person making the threat even though they may have never even set foot on the HUD facility in Seattle.
            Were they violating any laws? Probably not, en masse.

Neither were the members of the media in Minneapolis when they got arrested. Anecdotal, sure - but come on, in any other scenario, a bunch of people waving weapons around and screaming at police would have most definitely as least tasted some concrete. They just happened to want to exercise their constitutional rights to a haircut.

It was still the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Country folks, I tell yah...

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Few eh? Do you understand how riots spread? And when it comes to labels... never-mind. Opinions are set.
              There were more than a few, but the vast minority they still were. People really underestimate the sheer amount of physical damage only a handful of people can do.

Soon as that AutoZone caught fire outside the precinct by UmbrellaMan, the nefarious folks came out to play - that doesn't invalidate the message of the other 97% who just wanted to make their voices heard.

Comment

• Why is SW_Mustang so mad all the time? If you hate sports and most groups of people other than the people that live and think exactly like you why do you even bother getting on a public message forum? You put down so many different people and label everyone in so many of your posts. You seem to have a lot of hate in you.
                * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I'm zero percent surprised that this is what you focused on here. Opinions are, as you said, clearly set.

Comment

• Originally posted by West Florida View Post
                    Words from the would be 2020 (2021 & 2022) Harlon Hill winner. I agree. Let's play football!
                    Luckily no one cares what some kid making up statistics has to say. It's about far more than only the athletes. Too few seem to be able to understand this.

Comment

Were they violating any laws? Probably not, en masse.

Neither were the members of the media in Minneapolis when they got arrested. Anecdotal, sure - but come on, in any other scenario, a bunch of people waving weapons around and screaming at police would have most definitely as least tasted some concrete. They just happened to want to exercise their constitutional rights to a haircut.

It was still the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Country folks, I tell yah...
                      Thing about a Terry stop (and even arrests generally), is that they are individual situations. You "stop" people based on facts/suspicion of the individual. A person can be standing next to another doing apparently the same thing and one get's stopped/arrested and the other doesn't. Any number of factors can play into this including proximity of the subject, number of officers and sitution. Take two people standing right next to each other in a vocal and somewhat hostile crowd. Person A get's arrested (or detained) and person B doesn't. Can be any number of reasons why that happened. One of the things they teach in a situation like this is that you never make an arrest/detention alone (always have someone to watch your back). So why did the cops arrest person A and NOT person B? Probably because person A just happened to be the first person they grabbed...Had they grabbed person B first, he would have been the one arrested and not person A. Kind of like getting a speeding ticket when you are in a gaggle of cars all traveling at the same speed...Trooper why did you stop me and not the other cars? Because you are the first I came to.

Some people just want SOOOOO bad to believe the police are evil and that they target particular groups or political causes. You can say it is because I'm "part of the problem" since I was a cop, but I just never saw it. I and the people that worked for me arrested people without regard to their race, creed or political belief. And heaven help me if you did otherwise. I can't count the number of times my boss called me in to his office and had me go over in great detail the reasonable suspicion I had for stopping someone and then the probable cause I built to that caused me to arrest. And when I became a boss, I did the same. Arresting someone based on their ethnicity, sexual orientation or any other non-criminal enforcement factor was career suicide in may agency.

Like your last observation. Tells me a lot about you.

Comment

There were more than a few, but the vast minority they still were. People really underestimate the sheer amount of physical damage only a handful of people can do.

Soon as that AutoZone caught fire outside the precinct by UmbrellaMan, the nefarious folks came out to play - that doesn't invalidate the message of the other 97% who just wanted to make their voices heard.
                        You're not saying that the acts of some are overshadowing the works of the majority are you? Seems like the same can be said of the 99% of law enforcement that defends the weak against those that try and take advantage of them. Seems like painting with a broad brush is...wrong??

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

So let's make you president, what would you do? Remember, what you do has to be constitutional and in accordance with the law. Can't just say, I'd order everyone to wear a mask without sighting what legal authority you had to issue that order and how you would legally enforce such an order. Going to give trillions to research? OK, were is that $ going to come from? What about protestors that are not wearing face masks and practicing social distancing? You going to arrest them?
                          I wouldn't have thrown away the playbook left for me by the previous administration...I would have used it for guidance...I wouldn't have thrown the medical experts under the bus...I would let science and medicine lead the way. I wouldn't have allowed the LA Lakers to get a small business loan....I would have given the aid to the people who needed it the most. If people don't spend money the economy shuts down right? I would not have said it will disappear in April...I would have ordered a nationwide restrictions on gatherings, both indoor and outdoor in March, and would have repeated exactly what the medical experts said, not what the donors said...I walked in a protest march weeks ago, and I commented then that roughly 75% of people were wearing masks...Not perfect but not bad either...I also wouldn't be sending storm troopers into American cities...
                          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 07-20-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• MIAA just pushed their fall practice and competition dates back to the end of August and September, respectively. That's just a hop, skip, and jump from cancelling fall competition. PSAC, NE10, GNAC, CIAA, & SIAC shut things down for the fall -- who'll be next? I think the big boys -- read FBS football schools -- will move forward with competition. I think FCS football will proceed as well. Maybe not for a full season, but a season nonetheless. Looking like a coin-flip for everybody else. So far the GSC is moving forward....

Comment

• Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post
                              MIAA just pushed their fall practice and competition dates back to the end of August and September, respectively. That's just a hop, skip, and jump from cancelling fall competition. PSAC, NE10, GNAC, CIAA, & SIAC shut things down for the fall -- who'll be next? I think the big boys -- read FBS football schools -- will move forward with competition. I think FCS football will proceed as well. Maybe not for a full season, but a season nonetheless. Looking like a coin-flip for everybody else. So far the GSC is moving forward....
                              Patriot League (FCS) has already cancelled fall sports...Army and Navy are not included in that...Don't know why...

Comment

Oregon is also the same state that got upset when they were forced to pump their own gas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/institu.../#23856a6e600e

We believed the same thing in Minnesota. We're "too nice" to burn our own city. Even the Governor echoed the same sentiments on TV. I maintained the opposite - we are a very violent state with a very dark history, and we absolutely have the capability for that kind of destruction and believing otherwise was ludicrous. The morning after the Governor's comments, MPD/SPPD released the arrest records - and I really enjoyed hearing the Governor back track on his previous statements.

Oregon is a completely different place, so maybe "professional rioters" exist - but given the infrequency of the event, I doubt they are "professional" in the same sense a baseball player is. My guess is if anything like that does exist, they are just a bunch of college kids and criminals looking to break things. Simple as that. "Agent Provocateurs" are far more interesting and probable - but people don't like discussing the idea that police departments were the source of the damage. It kinda hurts their narratives.
                                They also rioted in Portland when Trump got elected. I don't remember riots over election results happening before, but they did in Portland in 2016 and there was destruction of store fronts and looting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X