Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I wouldn't have thrown away the playbook left for me by the previous administration...I would have used it for guidance...I wouldn't have thrown the medical experts under the bus...I would let science and medicine lead the way. I wouldn't have allowed the LA Lakers to get a small business loan....I would have given the aid to the people who needed it the most. If people don't spend money the economy shuts down right? I would not have said it will disappear in April...I would have ordered a nationwide restrictions on gatherings, both indoor and outdoor in March, and would have repeated exactly what the medical experts said, not what the donors said...I walked in a protest march weeks ago, and I commented then that roughly 75% of people were wearing masks...Not perfect but not bad either...I also wouldn't be sending storm troopers into American cities...
    Let's unpack the Obama "playbook" responding to MERS (also a Corona Virus). MERS was discovered by the WHO in April 2012. On May 29, 2013, a full 13-months after the WHO identified MERS, Obama declaired MERS a "Public Health Emergency." Immediately after authoring that advisory, Obama embarked on a two day political fund raising trip to Chicago. Over the next 30 days, the Obama MERS response "playbook" had him attending three political fund raisers in California, Massachusets and Florida followed by an international junket with Michele and family in tow to the UK, Germany, Senegal, South Africa, and Tanzania. MERS had it's zenith in 2014 were there were 492 cases world-wide. No vacine has ever been developed and pretty much except for some academic research, doesn't seem like it was a high priority after 2014 in the US. First infection in the US was May 1, 2013...TOTAL number of MERS cases in the US - 2. Basically, MERS kind of fizzled out on its own after 2014.

Yea...Big time "playbook" to follow. Declair an emergency, immediately go on political fundraising trips then take your family on a 2 month European and African vacation. Now THAT is the leadership we need Trump to emulate in the face of a "Public Health Emergency!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post
      MIAA just pushed their fall practice and competition dates back to the end of August and September, respectively. That's just a hop, skip, and jump from cancelling fall competition. PSAC, NE10, GNAC, CIAA, & SIAC shut things down for the fall -- who'll be next? I think the big boys -- read FBS football schools -- will move forward with competition. I think FCS football will proceed as well. Maybe not for a full season, but a season nonetheless. Looking like a coin-flip for everybody else. So far the GSC is moving forward....
      It has brought up in the GNAC threads, but it is unique situation with Simon Frasier. The decision made a lot more sense after seeing how Canada won't let the Blue Jays play in Canada this season and the reasoning behind it. It wouldn't surprise me at all that Simon Frasier had been told the same thing and led to the GNAC decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Let's unpack the Obama "playbook" responding to MERS (also a Corona Virus). MERS was discovered by the WHO in April 2012. On May 29, 2013, a full 13-months after the WHO identified MERS, Obama declaired MERS a "Public Health Emergency." Immediately after authoring that advisory, Obama embarked on a two day political fund raising trip to Chicago. Over the next 30 days, the Obama MERS response "playbook" had him attending three political fund raisers in California, Massachusets and Florida followed by an international junket with Michele and family in tow to the UK, Germany, Senegal, South Africa, and Tanzania. MERS had it's zenith in 2014 were there were 492 cases world-wide. No vacine has ever been developed and pretty much except for some academic research, doesn't seem like it was a high priority after 2014 in the US. First infection in the US was May 1, 2013...TOTAL number of MERS cases in the US - 2. Basically, MERS kind of fizzled out on its own after 2014.

Yea...Big time "playbook" to follow. Declair an emergency, immediately go on political fundraising trips then take your family on a 2 month European and African vacation. Now THAT is the leadership we need Trump to emulate in the face of a "Public Health Emergency!!"
        That example fits your narrative...The Obama administration declared a Public Health Emergency, and issued warnings to US citizens living in the Middle East...MERS stood for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome...This is the playbook created in 2016...The exact one I referred to. Let's not move the goalposts...

https://www.kff.org/news-summary/oba...health-threat/

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...c-Playbook.pdf
        Last edited by WarriorVoice; 07-20-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

That example fits your narrative. This is the playbook created in 2016...The exact one I referred to. Let's not move the goalposts...

Not moving any goal posts. When did the WHO first ID MERS? When did President Obama declair a health emergency? When did he go on his fund raisers and European/African vacation? How many MERS cases did the US have and when did MERS fizzle out? Was a vacine seriously persued after 2014? We hear about the supposed "Obama Playbook" and how he was actively and aggressively involved in MERS response, show me where...when...how?? Beyond the May decleration, I can't find a whole lot of "presidential leadership." Seems like by the time he got back from his European/African trip the "pandemic" was largely over. I don't see a lot of presidential action to this health emergency that infected 2 Americans.

Seems like the "Playbook" was declair an emergency...go on series of political fund raising trips...go on a vacation for a month plus and hope its pretty much over before you get home.

Comment

That example fits your narrative...The Obama administration declared a Public Health Emergency, and issued warnings to US citizens living in the Middle East...MERS stood for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome...This is the playbook created in 2016...The exact one I referred to. Let's not move the goalposts...

https://www.kff.org/news-summary/oba...health-threat/

https://www.who.int/emergencies/mers-cov/en/

It looks like it had a much higher death rate, but also a much lower infection rate per WHO's information on it. If the infection rate were what Covid-19 was it would be more on par with the Black Death. I think we all should be glad that MERS didn't have the infection rate of Covid-19 and that Covid-19 doesn't have the death rate of MERS.

I also wonder how much WHO can do in China compared to Saudi Arabia, as China is still a communist country in helping identifying the risk of a pandemic as well as controlling it. Regardless, Obama I'm sure is glad that the infection rate wasn't high. That said, Trump on this is terrible finally today changing his opinion on masks and last week making sure the White House had more control over the numbers than the CDC. He also challenged the states on stay at home orders and mask requirements and did little to stop the spread, which shows his leadership so far as a huge political blunder. I think he may have realized it today and that his change on masks is simply a political move on his part as his numbers are dropping faster than the Titanic.

Comment

Patriot League (FCS) has already cancelled fall sports...Army and Navy are not included in that...Don't know why...
              Likely because Army (Ind) and Navy (AAC) are FBS football programs. Another reason might be their status as a federal service academy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

https://www.who.int/emergencies/mers-cov/en/

It looks like it had a much higher death rate, but also a much lower infection rate per WHO's information on it. If the infection rate were what Covid-19 was it would be more on par with the Black Death. I think we all should be glad that MERS didn't have the infection rate of Covid-19 and that Covid-19 doesn't have the death rate of MERS.

I also wonder how much WHO can do in China compared to Saudi Arabia, as China is still a communist country in helping identifying the risk of a pandemic as well as controlling it. Regardless, Obama I'm sure is glad that the infection rate wasn't high. That said, Trump on this is terrible finally today changing his opinion on masks and last week making sure the White House had more control over the numbers than the CDC. He also challenged the states on stay at home orders and mask requirements and did little to stop the spread, which shows his leadership so far as a huge political blunder. I think he may have realized it today and that his change on masks is simply a political move on his part as his numbers are dropping faster than the Titanic.
                HUGE difference between MERS and COVID19. Yes, both are Corona Viruses but that is were the similarity largely ends. As you correctly point out, MERS is much more deadly (35% death rate) but MUCH less infectious (only 2519 cases worldwide in its nine year history). In the US, there have been TWO cases of MERS with no deaths. Both cases occured in early May 2014 in patients that has just returned from Saudi Arabia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

They also rioted in Portland when Trump got elected. I don't remember riots over election results happening before, but they did in Portland in 2016 and there was destruction of store fronts and looting.
                  It's a weird place - the Florida of the Northwest.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

It's a weird place - the Florida of the Northwest.
                    It's the rain.

Comment

HUGE difference between MERS and COVID19. Yes, both are Corona Viruses but that is were the similarity largely ends. As you correctly point out, MERS is much more deadly (35% death rate) but MUCH less infectious (only 2519 cases worldwide in its nine year history). In the US, there have been TWO cases of MERS with no deaths. Both cases occured in early May 2014 in patients that has just returned from Saudi Arabia.
                      You made the comparison in order to slam Obama...The point I made was that a playbook was left for the next President. I showed you the playbook. You respond by making a comparison between to outbreaks that you then say shouldn't be made. Congrats! You ran a circle around yourself...

Comment

You made the comparison in order to slam Obama...The point I made was that a playbook was left for the next President. I showed you the playbook. You respond by making a comparison between to outbreaks that you then say shouldn't be made. Congrats! You ran a circle around yourself...
                        I've looked at the self titled playbook in the past and recently. While it has good information in it, it is completely devoid of any sort of "timeline" for action. I'd also note that most of the things in the playbook are common sense and were done quickly and without a whole lot of fan fare by the career civil servants that SOOOO many in both parties have made their personal whipping boys over the years. For example, most of the things assigned to HHS in the playbook were accomplished with little public notice immediately after Covid was first ID'ed by the WHO in China and it is that way all the way down the line. Just because the "playbook" may or may not have been scrapped (no one has yet been able to point to anyone in a position of authority saying that it was scrapped) doesn't mean that the steps contained in it were not accomplished in an appropriate and timely manner. Also worth noting, a lot of the playbook depends on receiving accurate and timely information from the WHO AND the source country. Pretty clear that China was not completely forth coming on this virus with the WHO and the world as a whole. When you are getting bad and often times completely untrue information, it is really difficult to implament the appropriate countermeasures. For example, if China has told the WHO exactly when they had first detected this virus AND when they first implimented a travel lock down (quaranteen) for people from Wuhan, it is quite possible that the initial travel ban implimented by Trump would have included Europe as opposed to just China. While there is no gurantee that a European travel ban would have stopped the spread into NY, it would have had a better chance than the open door policy we had and maintained on travel from Europe early in the process.

Comment

I've looked at the self titled playbook in the past and recently. While it has good information in it, it is completely devoid of any sort of "timeline" for action. I'd also note that most of the things in the playbook are common sense and were done quickly and without a whole lot of fan fare by the career civil servants that SOOOO many in both parties have made their personal whipping boys over the years. For example, most of the things assigned to HHS in the playbook were accomplished with little public notice immediately after Covid was first ID'ed by the WHO in China and it is that way all the way down the line. Just because the "playbook" may or may not have been scrapped (no one has yet been able to point to anyone in a position of authority saying that it was scrapped) doesn't mean that the steps contained in it were not accomplished in an appropriate and timely manner. Also worth noting, a lot of the playbook depends on receiving accurate and timely information from the WHO AND the source country. Pretty clear that China was not completely forth coming on this virus with the WHO and the world as a whole. When you are getting bad and often times completely untrue information, it is really difficult to implament the appropriate countermeasures. For example, if China has told the WHO exactly when they had first detected this virus AND when they first implimented a travel lock down (quaranteen) for people from Wuhan, it is quite possible that the initial travel ban implimented by Trump would have included Europe as opposed to just China. While there is no gurantee that a European travel ban would have stopped the spread into NY, it would have had a better chance than the open door policy we had and maintained on travel from Europe early in the process.
                          You asked me what I would do...I gave you 5 things, then you moved the goalposts...

Comment

You asked me what I would do...I gave you 5 things, then you moved the goalposts...
                            I'm not so sure his playbook would work for a disease as infectious as Covid-19. It did nothing to stop the N1H1 outbreak for example in 2009 which lasted until August of 2010, but I do have to say it was handled better though as he listened to the CDC instead of fighting them: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

Comment

• Northwestern in the MIAA has reported 2 players tested positive for Covid. How many other teams have reported results yet? Is this just the start for D2 football and Covid?

Comment

• https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X