Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
    5 athletes tested positive for COVID 19 at CSU Pueblo. Sports unknown at this time. The athletes are restricted to dorms or at home. How are the other D 2 schools doing with COVID and the athletes?
    I heard Colorado College has already had to switch back to full online classes for the fall semester. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

I wouldn't call college administrators naive. They know and understand this more than anyone-- including most parents. I don't envy them at all considering the current situation.
      Maybe not all of them - but I'm definitely hearing that some of them very much were.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Maybe not all of them - but I'm definitely hearing that some of them very much were.
        The current situation in which college administrators find themselves is a real life graduate level course in strategic planning and decision making. Almost every direction puts them in an over the cliff position. Professors in these areas can sit back, observe and their next case study text book nearly writes itself. What a time to be alive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I heard Colorado College has already had to switch back to full online classes for the fall semester. Yikes.
          Colorado College has had 2 dorms quarantined already with the virus. One of the worst in the state if not the worst for colleges. Too bad, I like CC hockey.

Comment

• I saw that some Big 10 Parents are upset with the decision of no football this fall for their kids.

Comment

• Now I am wondering how many schools will drop down a division because of the virus, or will any D2 schools drop down to NAIA to save on costs and travel. This may be only a temporary move in some cases for schools to save money, then move back up. Students got to be wondering why they are paying full tuition to learn in a classroom but have on-line learning at home. I am hearing some gripes about it.

Comment

Colorado College has had 2 dorms quarantined already with the virus. One of the worst in the state if not the worst for colleges. Too bad, I like CC hockey.
                One was quarantined before classes even started. What a disaster.

Comment

Now I am wondering how many schools will drop down a division because of the virus, or will any D2 schools drop down to NAIA to save on costs and travel. This may be only a temporary move in some cases for schools to save money, then move back up. Students got to be wondering why they are paying full tuition to learn in a classroom but have on-line learning at home. I am hearing some gripes about it.
                  Lawsuits have been filled already regarding tuition.

Comment

Lawsuits have been filed already regarding tuition.
                    Fix it for you.

Comment

• I am not surprised by the lawsuits. And the schools say they are hurting for monies.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

The current situation in which college administrators find themselves is a real life graduate level course in strategic planning and decision making. Almost every direction puts them in an over the cliff position. Professors in these areas can sit back, observe and their next case study text book nearly writes itself. What a time to be alive.
                        That aspect is interesting - and I certainly don't have the answers myself. I've just come across a couple instances where administrators seemed to just think that the students would have the self control/awareness to not party for a year - which isn't going to happen.

Comment

Now I am wondering how many schools will drop down a division because of the virus, or will any D2 schools drop down to NAIA to save on costs and travel. This may be only a temporary move in some cases for schools to save money, then move back up. Students got to be wondering why they are paying full tuition to learn in a classroom but have on-line learning at home. I am hearing some gripes about it.
                          Minnesota State charges a fee for online courses - so you have to pay more to take the class online. I've argued online classes should be less since they use fewer university resources by default. That's during a normal school year.

I would never be comfortable paying the same (or more) for a full year on online courses from a four-year university, especially without the option to be in-person. As a recent graduate with some experience in online courses, I would strongly recommend anyone faced with the reality of a full year of online school do one of three things:

1. Take the duration of the online-only period off and work/pursue a hobby/volunteer/build a resume/intern/etc.
                          2. Transfer to a community college and take the same courses at a steep discount and transfer them back in.
                          3. Go to school half time, spend the other half doing #1.

I say half time because I believe FAFSA requires 50% enrollment for financial aid. Scholarships are obviously a bit different but I got permission to use one for part time enrollment once. Any student pursuing #1 or #3 should also be working on CLEP tests. No reason not to take that route.

Comment

Lawsuits have been filled already regarding tuition.
                            Everything I have read is those lawsuits are a shot in the dark. There is no contracted guarantee that classes will be in person. If you listened to most administrators over the summer, they stated they "intended to be on-campus in the fall".

Additionally, as was mentioned above, if students want a different rate for taking online courses then they should be aware that most schools charge MORE for online courses.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Everything I have read is those lawsuits are a shot in the dark. There is no contracted guarantee that classes will be in person. If you listened to most administrators over the summer, they stated they "intended to be on-campus in the fall".

Additionally, as was mentioned above, if students want a different rate for taking online courses then they should be aware that most schools charge MORE for online courses.
                              Oh I'm sure they'll have a tough time winning, but it certainly should show that kids are paying for services that aren't offered at the moment which seems a bit odd.

Comment

Oh I'm sure they'll have a tough time winning, but it certainly should show that kids are paying for services that aren't offered at the moment which seems a bit odd.
                                I guess it depends. Most of the services were still being offered but in different formats (at least at NW)
                                - not switching from full-time faculty to TA/adjunct
                                - tutoring available via Zoom
                                - student programming available online
                                - etc

Almost every school refunded housing and dining costs in the spring, and obviously so. Interesting enough, with no sports being played, one of the areas students have the most validity in wanting a refund would be fees associated with athletics.If they're not playing then I can see why students would want refunds on that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X