Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAIA women's flag FB

NAIA to start women's flag football. How long will it be before some male identifies as a female to play?

https://naia.prestosports.com/sports...ouncement_2020

An interesting development. I recall there were some women's amateur tackle football teams here in the upper Midwest back in the early 2000's. If the NAIA experiment is successful, I would not be surprised to see this added to other collegiate divisions also.

Comment

The NAIA is a good place for experimenting. Will this end up being a club activity or get to varsity status? Scholarships? Conferences?

NAIA Holy Family announced that they are closing permanently. The future of college athletics is up in the air just like the status of these smaller schools.

Comment

Midland University in Fremont, NE has announced they will add women's flag football

Comment

First 15 NAIA schools to sign up each get $15K from NFL. Expect this to take off in Midwest.

Comment

I'm interested to see if this takes off, and if it may be initiated at other divisions of collegiate athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              The NAIA is a good place for experimenting. Will this end up being a club activity or get to varsity status? Scholarships? Conferences?

NAIA Holy Family announced that they are closing permanently. The future of college athletics is up in the air just like the status of these smaller schools.
              I read one article that said the NFL proposed the idea of assisting with making women's flag an emerging sport to the NCAA first. I'm still surprised the NAIA took them up on it at this moment, and several ADs are noted as saying they're looking at it after the pandemic situation. I'm guessing the NCAA will keep an eye on it, it could be a good enrollment driving opportunity for smaller D2s and D3s down the road. Not sure how many DI schools would be interested though.

In the NAIA, 15 varsity declared teams are needed to become an official emerging sport (I assume they'd make an exception partnering with the NFL) but even if so, right now only not even halfway there.

Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC):
              Midland University (NE) - GPAC

Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC):
              Ottawa University (KS)
              Kansas Wesleyan

The Sun Conference (TSC):
              St. Thomas Univ. (FL)
              Webber International (FL)
              Florida Memorial

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post

I read one article that said the NFL proposed the idea of assisting with making women's flag an emerging sport to the NCAA first. I'm still surprised the NAIA took them up on it at this moment, and several ADs are noted as saying they're looking at it after the pandemic situation. I'm guessing the NCAA will keep an eye on it, it could be a good enrollment driving opportunity for smaller D2s and D3s down the road. Not sure how many DI schools would be interested though.

In the NAIA, 15 varsity declared teams are needed to become an official emerging sport (I assume they'd make an exception partnering with the NFL) but even if so, right now only not even halfway there.

Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC):
                Midland University (NE) - GPAC

Ottawa University (KS)
                Kansas Wesleyan

St. Thomas Univ. (FL)
                Webber International (FL)
                Florida Memorial
                A couple new additions this week, bringing it up to 9 teams... Definitely something to keep an eye for D2 schools if this experiment works at the NAIA level, it may be a way to increase enrollment post-pandemic with a fairly low cost sport that also fits Title IX.

NAIA independent:
                Cottey College (MO)

University of Saint Mary (KS)

Keiser University (FL)

Comment

I was told the NAIA was considering 8 or 9 scholarships and expecting roster sizes to be 25-35 players.

To compare with D2 women's sports that have average roster sizes of 20+.
                  Scholarships Avg
                  Roster
                  Size
                  Field Hockey 6.3 24
                  Lacrosse 9.9 24
                  Rowing 20 31
                  Soccer 9.9 27
                  Softball 7.2 20
                  Swimming & Diving 8.1 20
                  Track & Field [I/O] 12.6 30

Comment

A few yrs back about 12, Erie had a full contact Women's football team. It lasted about 6yrs I think. Went to a few games
                    $5. I don't think they ever drew over 300 paid

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X