Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 vs D1 in 2020?

Assuming a reduced schedule with regional reduced travel games is it more likely in 2020 that an in state or region D2 team might become a fill in game for D1 team? West Florida playing at FSU, Florida, Stetson? Valdosta at Georgia or Georgia Tech? Ferris State at Michigan? NW Mo. St. at Missouri? Delta State at Ole Miss? Could the peculiar 2020 season become even more absurdly peculiar?

No way in hell I could see them approving a D2 playing a power 5 conference FBS school. While it might be a convenient option given the current circumstances, I think both teams having an open date would be preferred on both sides.

It would be an absolute beat down for the D2 team, and a waste of time for the FBS team (they'd be better served doing an intrasquad scrimmage).
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Wow...I thought Western PA fans came up with crazy ideas...

Comment

I get the beat down objection, but my speculation of this possibility concerns a situation where positive test results quarantine teams into giving up on a limited conference schedule and turns football into creative exhibitions where regional FBS vs FCS/D2 or FCS v D2 might occur for morale purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
          I get the beat down objection, but my speculation of this possibility concerns a situation where positive test results quarantine teams into giving up on a limited conference schedule and turns football into creative exhibitions where regional FBS vs FCS/D2 or FCS v D2 might occur for morale purposes.
          Consider the reaction from the D1 fans when their 4A RB recruit blows out his knee playing an exhibition. Serious tar and feather time.

Comment

Comment

I thought we had the strong stuff in Colorado

Comment

Luv me some Argos, and would love for this to be an option in the future, but now? Power 5 against D2? Not happening. If you're talking Florida A&M, Bethune-Cookman, or Stetson (all FCS), well that's much more realistic....

Comment

Comment

FBS schools are not allowed to schedule D2 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                      FBS schools are not allowed to schedule D2 schools.
                      Not allowed, or just don't do it because it would be an uncountable game for the FBS school? I thought it was because to have a game "count" on your schedule, it had to be within one level of play on either side of you. So FBS could play FCS, FCS could play FBS or D2, D2 could play FCS or D3 and still have them count.
                      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Not allowed, or just don't do it because it would be an uncountable game for the FBS school? I thought it was because to have a game "count" on your schedule, it had to be within one level of play on either side of you. So FBS could play FCS, FCS could play FBS or D2, D2 could play FCS or D3 and still have them count.
                        Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - but as I understand it, there is no rule forbidding an FBS team from scheduling a D2 team.

Obviously, as well all know - an FBS team can't count a win against a D2 team for bowl eligibility. This, combined with the risk of injury, is why we'll never see a D2 team play an FBS team under normal circumstances. They have absolutely nothing to gain and absolutely everything to lose.

Comment

Let me spin this around - why would West Florida ever agree to a game against FSU? Why would they risk the health of Austin Reed? Is the 15 seconds of fame ESPN would give the Argos really be worth the risk of injuring your starters and potentially sabotaging another title run? If they "win" the scrimmage rules game against a bunch of third stringers, do they get anything tangible as a result?

It's a fun idea in theory - I'd love to see Minnesota State play the Gophers, it's just never going to happen. Nobody stands anything to gain from it.

Maybe, and this is beyond a stretch here, but maybe a bottom-feeder FBS team with no playoff hopes decides to schedule a D2 team for game experience to avoid getting trucked by an FCS team. They'd be ridiculed by the sports media - but maybe they decide it's somehow worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Let me spin this around - why would West Florida ever agree to a game against FSU? Why would they risk the health of Austin Reed? Is the 15 seconds of fame ESPN would give the Argos really be worth the risk of injuring your starters and potentially sabotaging another title run? If they "win" the scrimmage rules game against a bunch of third stringers, do they get anything tangible as a result?

It's a fun idea in theory - I'd love to see Minnesota State play the Gophers, it's just never going to happen. Nobody stands anything to gain from it.

Maybe, and this is beyond a stretch here, but maybe a bottom-feeder FBS team with no playoff hopes decides to schedule a D2 team for game experience to avoid getting trucked by an FCS team. They'd be ridiculed by the sports media - but maybe they decide it's somehow worth it.

Comment

Those sports don't carry the same injury risk and scheduling restrictions that football does. Then there's also the talent gap to consider, which is far greater in football than it is in almost every other sport, IMO. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

The Argos did beat the FCS North Alabama Lions in 2018, but that was a transitional year that saw a D2 UNA roster classified as an FCS independent. IMO, it's an impressive feat and a nice footnote for UWF, but it's just not the same as beating a seasoned D1 contender.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X