Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I'd like to see New Haven beat UConn again (to be fair, UConn wasn't FBS when that happened back in 1992, and they really should have never moved to FBS in the first place), there are rules against these things happening, and for good reason.

https://newhavenchargers.com/sports/.../schedule/1992

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
      As much as I'd like to see New Haven beat UConn again (to be fair, UConn wasn't FBS when that happened back in 1992, and they really should have never moved to FBS in the first place), there are rules against these things happening, and for good reason.

https://newhavenchargers.com/sports/football/schedule/1992
      I tried finding it in the bylaws but nothing I read indicated it's banned anywhere, in fact the NCAA's website said something to the effect of D2's needing to play 50% against II, FCS, and FBS. I quoted it in an earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That's been my understanding. The bylaws are structured in such a way where the NCAA doesn't need a rule to prevent D2/FBS games since it's really a self-governing situation. However, since the matchups aren't explicitly prohibited, it does technically leave the possibility open.

On the flipside, a loss for the D2 team would technically count against them. Obviously, D2 uses a playoff structure based on a regional ranking system, so the fallout from losing to an FBS team probably wouldn't be all that bad. However, with only 11 games in a season, I can't imagine D2 squads would be all too eager to sacrifice a chance for a winnable game for a guaranteed loss.
        FCS losses don't count for D2 teams I thought. For example one year CWU lost one game on a last second field goal at Montana, but it didn't count as a loss for them. Where it hurt, SoS as that week didn't count at all towards the playoffs. That was the year they lost in a close game at West Texas.

Even before all this, CWU is set to open again at Montana this season. D2 Vs FCS games are common here with so few D2 schools available with all the Silo scheduling for GNAC schools. One year CWU went to Idaho State and destroyed them and last year they opened at Idaho.

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
          A FSU game vs Jacksonville State game would draw similar numbers, and since they are FCS be a higher regarded opponent. And yes, I know JSU is in Alabama and WF wonder DII.
          FSU likely hasn't played a D-II equivalent since Truman was in office.
          I could see alot of schedule shifts and money games but not P5 vs DII or even G5 vs DII. In areas where states are opening now there tends to be a plethora of FCS teams.

The only FBS teams I could see doing this are maybe indies such as UCONN or New Mexico State (assuming those states are even open.)
          https://atr.cfrc.com/index.php?r=tea...lene-christian
          Last edited by catatonic; 05-24-2020, 05:34 AM.

Comment

I don't like the idea of us playing against any 2nd or 3rd string. Austin Reed is a better QB than any QB Florida State has so to act like we are below them isn't part of the Arete culture. I would play their best vs our best though. Bring on the Noles. We'll go into the Doak in our all-whites and may the better team win. Not scared at all. Argie's sword is way more effective than a spear.
            * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
            * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
            * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
            * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Last edited by Argonut; 05-24-2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

West Florida 56
                Florida State 49

Reed throws for 8 TDs and our defense forces 6 turnovers.
                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
                  West Florida 56
                  Florida State 49

Reed throws for 8 TDs and our defense forces 6 turnovers.
                  Argos take Renegade back to Pensacola as victory prize in upset of 21st century.

Comment

I think Argie would look great on Renegade! I would gladly just settle for being able to get the game in against West Virginia Wesleyan...if I was the Bobcats I'm not sure I would be hoping for that though. I miss sports.
                    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

In 2003 New Mexico State played Western New Mexico....but as stated in an earlier post the games between FBS and D2 will not count towards bowl eligibility so those games are equivalent to a D2 playing a D3 or NAIA team (statistics count but no other real benefit)

https://nmstatesports.com/schedule.a...&path=football

Comment

Awhile back, but for the first game of the 1988 season (as I recall) MN. State played at UTEP. Lost something like 40-3. MSU had been NCC conference champions the previous year, and had made either the quarter or semi-finals of the D2 playoffs, losing a close game at Portland State (then D2) to end the playoff run. Other than playing Northern Iowa a few times in the 90's and early 2000's, I don't recall them playing any games outside of Division II.

Comment

Coach Norvell just lost his team before practice even begins. Argos actually have good chance of winning game now.

Comment

I'm not sure what drugs some people are on but UWF would get decimated by FSU, as would every other D2 team. Please just stop.

Comment

Florida man drinks Gatorade, eats deer, gator and Red snapper and spends a lot of time in the hot sun. ;)

Comment

If I remember correctly, in 1981 or so, Clemson opened against Wofford, who I believe was an NAIA school at the time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X