Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSCfan1275 View Post
    If I remember correctly, in 1981 or so, Clemson opened against Wofford, who I believe was an NAIA school at the time.
    I was born and raised in Spartanburg SC, and the Tigers did play the Terriers in 1981. However, Wofford (NAIA through 1994 I believe) was a replacement game for a cancellation on Clemson's schedule. I remember Wofford fans were excited but expecting bloodshed on the field. In my middle school mind, it actually seemed like a decent game (45-10 win for CU), but as I grew to better understand the game, it was obvious that Clemson lowered the throttle and played the game like a scrimmage. They were loaded with All-Americans on both side of the ball that year.....

Comment

The transitive property has not been proven with regards to college football.

Comment

I did recall this on the topic and looked into it. I haven't done much research to confirm this as being current but UNA football's Wikipedia page states this:

UNA was the last Division II team to beat a Division I-A (FBS) team, defeating Southwestern Louisiana (now Louisiana) on October 11, 1997.

It links here as the source: https://web.archive.org/web/20140219...on-iiiii-naia/

From UNA's current Media Guide:

UNA vs. Division I FBS Programs (2-2)
        *1959 at Vanderbilt................................... Lost 7-42
        *1972 at Appalachian State...................... Lost 3-17
        *1973 Appalachian State.......................... Won 21-7
        *1997 at Southwestern Louisiana (4 OT). Won 48-42

Win Over Division I

On Oct. 11, 1997 the Lions defeated Division I Southwestern Louisiana State (now Louisiana-Lafayette) 48-42 in four overtimes at Cajun Field. UNA trailed 18-7 at the half but freshman quarterback Tyler Peterson led a second half comeback that gave the Lions a 27-24 lead with 3:16 left in the game. The Ragin' Cajuns tied the game with a field goal with 18 seconds left in regulation to force overtime. Both teams scored touchdowns in the first overtime, missed field goal attempts in the second OT and scored touchdowns in the third extra period. In the fourth overtime, UNA's Chad Sears intercepted a Southwestern Louisiana pass to end their possession. Two plays later, UNA's Greg Manson raced 20 yards straight up the middle to the end zone. He actually also ran up the player's tunnel at the end of the stadium and out of view. The win was a rare win by an NCAA Division II institution over a Division I school. Peterson rushed for three touchdowns and threw for another, finishing with 140 yards rushing and 84 passing. Manson added 106 yards rushing.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

The transitive property has not been proven with regards to college football.
          Especially when it is based on anecdotal evidence.

I'd pay to watch UWF v. FSU, but I just don't see it ever happening.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Especially when it is based on anecdotal evidence.

I'd pay to watch UWF v. FSU, but I just don't see it ever happening.
            Looks like my prediction of free for all exhibition games between multiple divisions is more and more likely now.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post

Looks like my prediction of free for all exhibition games between multiple divisions is more and more likely now.
              Care to elaborate?

Comment

Comment

Wut? I would say it's likely the exact opposite. I guarantee someone like Florida State isn't going to risk an injury during a meaningless game against a D2 school that they're going to destroy.

Comment

I just saw a post that you can expect the Pac 12 to do the same thing as the BIG next week.

Comment

There's a few of your standard FCS/D2 matchups, but nothing super exciting. Looks like some PFL teams are playing some NAIA and DIII schools as well, is that normal for them?

I think it's pretty safe to say there is a zero percent chance we see an FBS/D2 game this year.

Comment

Further evidence that it just won't happen.
                        https://247sports.com/college/notre-...nts-149200441/
                        Go Bronchos!

Comment

Do sports like Rugby count? I know this season CWU beat BYU before the spring sports were canceled in a D1 Rugby game, but then again CWU is D1 in Rugby.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X