Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D2 Players in the AAFL

I've watched the NFLN & CBSSN AAF games on a YouTube livestream.

Comment

Watching the Memphis Express and U Indy receiver Reece Horn returned punts and was the go to guy for QB Christian Hackenburg. He had 5 or 6 catches and looked explosive. Also fun to watch for Memphis was RB Zac Stacy who had multiple 100 yard games in the NFL for the Rams.

Comment

Attendance at AAF games has dropped substantially since week one. I doubt this league will last more than one season. I hope it will for the players sake, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
          Attendance at AAF games has dropped substantially since week one. I doubt this league will last more than one season. I hope it will for the players sake, but I wouldn't bet on it.
          I don't normally reply to my own posts, but I predicted this one right. The league won't last more than one season because it folded with two weeks to go in it's first season. RIP AAF.

Comment

The AAFL proves once again that the American public has zero interest in any pro league except the NFL. The ONLY way such a thing will work is if the NFL follows MLB or even the NBA and ties teams directly to NFL teams ala minor league fashion. Even then attendance will be bad for most teams but maybe over the course of 9 or 10 years, one or two of the franchises in such a league would develop a loyal fan base to the point were they become somewhat self sustaining.

Comment

U Indy WR Reece Horn inked with the Miami Dolphins after the AAF folded. Two U Indy guys on NFL teams in Florida now (OG Holcomb in the Tampa Bay Bucs).

Comment

I think the idea of spring league football is great. Seeing the amount of AAF players that signed to the NFL, shows that the talent was there and I thought the product was good. The people on money side of things need to get a sustainable model setup though. I hope the new XFL can learn from some of these mistakes..... like making it easier to actually watch the games.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
                  I don't normally reply to my own posts, but I predicted this one right. The league won't last more than one season because it folded with two weeks to go in it's first season. RIP AAF.
                  This wasn't exactly a tough prediction to make...

Comment

Originally posted by D2SportsJunkie View Post
                    I think the idea of spring league football is great. Seeing the amount of AAF players that signed to the NFL, shows that the talent was there and I thought the product was good. The people on money side of things need to get a sustainable model setup though. I hope the new XFL can learn from some of these mistakes..... like making it easier to actually watch the games.
                    I'm not sure how much easier it could have been. Every game was streamed for free on the AAF website and app.
                    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

This sums up the history and why they folded of pro football leagues:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/3349422002/

The only league that came even remotely close to "succeeding" was NFL Europe and that that was because the NFL heavily subsidized them as a sort of "Build the brand"/NFL "minor league."

In the "TV age" there have been a few leagues that opened with big TV ratings and big crowds their first week only to see those ratings/crowds quickly dwindle. AAF is just the latest of a long list of victims.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          This sums up the history and why they folded of pro football leagues:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/3349422002/

The only league that came even remotely close to "succeeding" was NFL Europe and that that was because the NFL heavily subsidized them as a sort of "Build the brand"/NFL "minor league."

In the "TV age" there have been a few leagues that opened with big TV ratings and big crowds their first week only to see those ratings/crowds quickly dwindle. AAF is just the latest of a long list of victims.
                          It certainly has to do with talent. The big players go to the NFL - that's where people want to invest their time. Not to mention traditions, big crowds, etc etc...

But the original XFL was always intriguing to me. It's definitely an outlier - an oddball among oddballs. Essentially, Vince tried to merge the scripted-entertainment aspects of wrestling with a very real sport. This created some interesting moments for sure - like Jeff Brohm's legendary sideline shoot promo, but it ultimately failed spectacularly. That being said, had the league had proper time to build itself, it may have been more successful than it was - although it was never going to compete with the NFL. At least it will always live on through the skycam.

It was also fascinating to us because our governor was commentating the games while in office... Such a bizarre league, but I loved it.

Comment

No professional football league is going to ever work unless they position themselves as an alternative to college. Not an alternative to the NFL. Nobody wants to watch Christian Hackenberg vs Chris Simms, or whatever garbage was happening in the AAF. Be a league that pays 50k/100k/150k for three years after a player graduates high school. Poach the 5-star recruits. Poach the breakout true freshmen from college for two years until they're draft eligible. People don't want to watch has-been's.
                            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X